Creative Village

sunshine

Terry further south is like a third world country. I swear I saw a guy walking a dingo there with no leash. West is Parramore. Funny thing is, according to the Weekly some friends of Daisy Lynum are going to build 10-12 $300k single family homes just west of the Arena.

Laugh all you want, but Parramore will be synonymous with Hip and the place to be seen within the next 3-5 yrs. It is a clean sheet of paper that gives developers the creative freedom to build something unique. The east dowtown is strapped with overpriced crappy bungalows under the guise of "Historic District". Pleeeeease! There are no large land parcels available to create something that will get a "Wow!" reaction.

Parramore is available with no restricitions per se, and financially viable for all income levels. These are the ingredients that have investor's/developers salivating at the thought of what could be...

I am just curious why they selected Terry as a main corridor. You would thing Parramore Ave which is lined with commercial storefronts would be developed as the Orlange Ave of the westside. A little rezoning and alot of razing would take dowtown Orlando to a whole new level. I guess once the 3 Public Venues get underway....the rest will follow. Sit back and enjoy the ride gals/fellas! :shades:

If you take a walking tour of Parramore (In daylight preferrably) one would find some excellent examples of early 20th C. and late 19th C. architecture. It's not exactly the "Blank Slate" that many think it is. Just because its populated by poor people doesn't mean you can just bulldoze it. If that were the case it would been developed a looong time ago.

I live in paramore in Cityview and if they are going to bulldoze things there they need to make sure it is not built with that stupid controlled rent government bond idea, b/c that is just a crock of crap... the people that have to pay the full rent at these places for the most part take care of the place, the people that are paying the half priced rent just trash the place and cost the tax payers and full priced rent payers more money in the end and then they tell you, the person that pays the rent on time and takes care of the place that you cannot live there anymore b/c you make to much money even though you are paying fair market price for rent. I say tear parramore down and build condos or town homes that are not luxury but affordable for those who arent millionaires but have decent paying jobs and contribute to society instead of living off it.

• Like 1

I live in paramore in Cityview and if they are going to bulldoze things there they need to make sure it is not built with that stupid controlled rent government bond idea, b/c that is just a crock of crap... the people that have to pay the full rent at these places for the most part take care of the place, the people that are paying the half priced rent just trash the place and cost the tax payers and full priced rent payers more money in the end and then they tell you, the person that pays the rent on time and takes care of the place that you cannot live there anymore b/c you make to much money even though you are paying fair market price for rent. I say tear parramore down and build condos or town homes that are not luxury but affordable for those who arent millionaires but have decent paying jobs and contribute to society instead of living off it.

Interesting Orlando JB Boy. I thought that this is the same thing being done with The Verde.

I thought about living in City VIew. My question is, how can you tell who trashes the place? Do you know for a fact that it is the low income residents?

I thought about living in City VIew. My question is, how can you tell who trashes the place? Do you know for a fact that it is the low income residents?

I am familiar with these problems. My sister was living at North Bridge, which is an apartment complex near the Millenia Mall. Many of the residents there were paying a fraction of the price my sister paid to live there for the same luxuries. I was shocked that such a nice place would have government subsidized housing. I am not sure what the individual units of these residents looked like, but I can tell you gangs of kids ran rapid around the place. You couldn't use the complex's computer room cause a ton of kids were always there, you couldn't go swimming without a ton of rowdy kids. However, whether these people trash the place or not, I don't for a minute buy into the fact that it is the right thing to do by letting "poorer" people live next door to someone who has to pay more than twice the amount. It's ok to have government subsidized housing, but not ok to reward people who need government help with the same luxuries that hardworking people have to "pay" for. Thank ol Buddy for that one.

Im not saying that its always the low income people that trash the place i suspect it though, i live next to one of the low income apt they had a dog and you arent allowed dogs at cityview, no where to walk it, they left the place a giant mess. Now there are new poeple there and they are noisey, and party all night long, every night. I should take some pics of the things that get trashed around the place, they literally rip the electronic key pads off the walls the day after they are replaced. We now have a door man to keep the common area downstairs under control now i guess, because the computer lab was getting trashed.

Im not saying that its always the low income people that trash the place i suspect it though, i live next to one of the low income apt they had a dog and you arent allowed dogs at cityview, no where to walk it, they left the place a giant mess. Now there are new poeple there and they are noisey, and party all night long, every night. I should take some pics of the things that get trashed around the place, they literally rip the electronic key pads off the walls the day after they are replaced. We now have a door man to keep the common area downstairs under control now i guess, because the computer lab was getting trashed.

Yeah I was going to ask, I'd like to see. That sucks.

As for them telling you, they don't have to disclose that there are subsidized/affordable apartments there, at least they didn't tell a friend of mine at some complex in Maitland.

I am familiar with these problems. My sister was living at North Bridge, which is an apartment complex near the Millenia Mall. Many of the residents there were paying a fraction of the price my sister paid to live there for the same luxuries. I was shocked that such a nice place would have government subsidized housing. I am not sure what the individual units of these residents looked like, but I can tell you gangs of kids ran rapid around the place. You couldn't use the complex's computer room cause a ton of kids were always there, you couldn't go swimming without a ton of rowdy kids. However, whether these people trash the place or not, I don't for a minute buy into the fact that it is the right thing to do by letting "poorer" people live next door to someone who has to pay more than twice the amount. It's ok to have government subsidized housing, but not ok to reward people who need government help with the same luxuries that hardworking people have to "pay" for. Thank ol Buddy for that one.

Ironically, market inefficiencies create just that. New York is notorious for people living next door to one another and paying wildly different amounts of money due to rent control. It's being phased out, but at some point the market will equlibriate.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Here's a little update from the Creative Village area:

IDEAS Opens New Post Audio Mix Room

“To have them make the type of investment that they have says a lot about their commitment to the post production business, the Central Florida community, and the Downtown Orlando Creative Village and reaffirms their place as a top destination for post production work in the Southeast region.”

I always thought this was a cool little company. They also did some marketing for FL Hospital a few years ago, which I noticed ORMC is just now starting to copy.

• 1 month later...

Is there a timeline for demo. of the Amway Arena and beginning stages of CV construction? I was wondering why we are paying to keep the a/c running and the building secure for no reason - maybe they were waiting on SunRail approval before all parties committed to it?

Is there a timeline for demo. of the Amway Arena and beginning stages of CV construction? I was wondering why we are paying to keep the a/c running and the building secure for no reason - maybe they were waiting on SunRail approval before all parties committed to it?

I found on the Amway Arena wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amway_Arena, that the demolition is scheduled for December 15, 2011

• 2 months later...

Orlando Magic's first home headed for 'green' demolition

"We're becoming known as the most sustainable city in the Southeast," Mayor Buddy Dyer said Wednesday as he revealed details of the demolition.

"Well over 50 percent of the building will be reused or recycled in some manner," said Jon Ippel, the city's sustainability manager.

Not sure about most sustainable it the Southeast, but sounds good, doesn't it? Also nice to hear "in the next 15 years" as opposed to the 20 - 25 years some have said.

I don't know, it's a pretty large building. Even as a centerpiece to the village, it just wouldn't be to scale with anything.

I like reusing buildings, which is why I hate big box stores in general. There's not a whole lot you can do with them afterwards, even in a suburban context.

• 3 weeks later...