Creative Village

sunshine

6 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Polk just might be the most misunderstood county in Florida. 

Olmstead, Wright, Calatrava did not show up there by chance.

Of the larger counties in peninsular Florida, Imperial Polk County (the legal name) had the most plantation-like economy. Citrus and especially phosphate mining led to great wealth but also great swaths of poor workers.

Those who prospered did have an affinity for architecture that lives on even today at a university (Florida Poly) that really has no reason to exist except for the residual pull of political power.

There are other signs as well. George Jenkins' upscale grocery (Publix) thrived in such an environment and the pre-interstate road network is amazing (the cloverleaf interchange at US 27 and US 17-92 was a wonder to behold long before expressways ever came along.)

The Southern Belles  that were a staple of local tourist attraction Cypress Gardens reflected the attitude and the famous water ski show began as a result of the favorite recreational activity of wealthy local teenagers.

Unfortunately, the politics of the place have long been befitting more of 1950s Alabama than modern Florida. Sandwiched between Orlando and Tampa, that's changing but at a leisurely pace.

Meanwhile, welcome back, sir, it is a pleasure to have you with us!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, W7edwin said:

its missing the 6 parking garages that still wont fit everyone's cars 

It is interesting that the FPU campus was built in BFE where you almost have to drive to get there. Where all those cars will park is not much indicated in that rendering. W7edwin's point is an excellent one. One would imagine someone had thought about that in the years since most of our universities were established but apparently not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

It is interesting that the FPU campus was built in BFE where you almost have to drive to get there. Where all those cars will park is not much indicated in that rendering. W7edwin's point is an excellent one. One would imagine someone had thought about that in the years since most of our universities were established but apparently not.

it's so depressing...you look at the main building, above, and then adjacent to it is a non-descript box dorm building...

• Sad 1

That rendering is ridiculous and nothing like the actual campus. That said the building itself is beautiful, and the focal point along with the reflecting pond is fantastic. It was fairly well planned, and it shows. When it is being built there will be a whole lot of surface parking and some other "less interesting" buildings on the other parcels in place of all those hypothetical trees. There still will be greenspace, but it will be more of the grass lot you have to mow to make it look decent variety. 

Eventually, on either side of the academic building there will be more "signature" buildings. They hope to build out down the spine of the reflecting pond with more interesting structures. 

Here is what it looks like in real life: 

florida-polytechnic-university.jpg.bd9263d4adbf6619866b4c61818a803a.jpg

And here is what the master plan shows for build-out right now: http://straughntrout.com/portfolio/fpu-master-plan/

1.3-futurelanduse-e1436740402808.thumb.jpg.2ce4ba5cea64b1cb7cb544d3712e6967.jpg

They did just release plans for one of the signature buildings, the $38 Million Applied Research Center, adjacent to the main building, however: http://www.theledger.com/news/20180629/florida-poly-plans-new-38m-research-building-future-growth

FPU-ARC.jpg

Edited by dcluley98
  • Thanks 2

I was refering to the architecture itself, not the park.  I would like to see a signature building like that one that designed by Santiago Calatrava. I would drive to Lakeland just to visit that building but there are zero building in downtown Orlando that is a must see for any visitors.

Hypothetically speaking, if that exact same building was sitting like at the edge of Lake Ivanhoe/ Lake Dot or Lake Eola, it will be an attraction to architecture enthusiasts. Even similar buildings that done by Frank Llyod Wright at Florida Southern college is more interesting than buildings by Baker Barrios.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sunshine said:

I was refering to the architecture itself, not the park.  I would like to see a signature building like that one that designed by Santiago Calatrava. I would drive to Lakeland just to visit that building but there are zero building in downtown Orlando that is a must see for any visitors.

Hypothetically speaking, if that exact same building was sitting like at the edge of Lake Ivanhoe/ Lake Dot or Lake Eola, it will be an attraction to architecture enthusiasts. Even similar buildings that done by Frank Llyod Wright at Florida Southern college is more interesting than buildings by Baker Barrios.

100% agree.     we need at least one signature building on the waters edge to have an iconic postcard area visitors will go to in the DT core area

It was alluded to here before, but someone has to enlighten me - what exactly are the politics behind Florida Polytech, and how did they manage to have the money/influence to get a Calatrava building?  I remember driving by it on I4 during construction and wondering what in the heck was being built way out there.  Then as it neared completion I recognize it was pretty signature Calatrava and got even more confused, so I looked it up - but nothing about it made sense financially.  I realize that FLW made Fl Southern because of the old agri-money in Polk back then, but who got this thing greenlit? 

It began as a branch campus of USF. Back then, there was a large contingent of moneyed Polk Republicans who ponied up their cash and made a political pull in Tallahassee to create a new campus and make it separate from USF.  The local senator JD Alexander was behind the push to do this. Additionally, there was quite an emphasis on the need for STEM institutions at the time during the aftermath of the last recession. I think they started the push in 2009-2011.  The Florida Board of Governors overseeing the State University System eventually approved and gave them the backing to create their own stand-alone university over time. The local politicians wanted it immediately and with more money, so pushed through a different funding bill in the senate that would fund the new Florida Polytechnic University, and Republican Rick Scott approved it.  The land itself was "donated" by the Williams Co. of oil/gas/pipeline business. 

(also to add. . . I am an Independent. I do not have anything against Republicans in general, although I do lean more left and can't stand Rick Scott). 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HankStrong said:

I'm trying to figure out how/where Sunshine wants to put something like this in a downtown, urban area?

From the looks of the rendering, im guessing in the middle of Lake Eola?

Middle of Lake Ivanhoe?

Actually, that's not a bad idea, though the NIMBYS would squeal like stuck pigs.

They had conniption fits when a lighted fountain ala Lake Eola or Lake Lucerne was proposed.

• Haha 2

Don't forget that the area around Poly was supposed to be a tech research park, fueled by the high-speed rail. Google had already committed to an office there and many of the tech companies that now calls Orlando home would've likely been based out of there instead. All of that fell through when the research park was canceled after the high-speed rail was canceled. 

I actually work at FSC (in one of the Wright buildings!!) twice a week and I commute to Tampa two other days a week so I pass Poly four days a week. Next exit up there's a new McDonald's but otherwise, that area has never begun the vision that was in place back when Poly was announced. The campus plan called for multiple buildings from the same architect.  I saw a model of the long-term plan on display at the Polk Community College campus on 98 just south of Lakeland/north of Bartow. No idea where that model is these days or what the plan is now for the campus. The ugly, box-like dorm building wasn't part of the plan I saw. I think that was a quick build after the plans for nearby developments were canceled. 

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, klstorey said:

Don't forget that the area around Poly was supposed to be a tech research park, fueled by the high-speed rail. Google had already committed to an office there and many of the tech companies that now calls Orlando home would've likely been based out of there instead. All of that fell through when the research park was canceled after the high-speed rail was canceled. 

I actually work at FSC (in one of the Wright buildings!!) twice a week and I commute to Tampa two other days a week so I pass Poly four days a week. Next exit up there's a new McDonald's but otherwise, that area has never begun the vision that was in place back when Poly was announced. The campus plan called for multiple buildings from the same architect.  I saw a model of the long-term plan on display at the Polk Community College campus on 98 just south of Lakeland/north of Bartow. No idea where that model is these days or what the plan is now for the campus. The ugly, box-like dorm building wasn't part of the plan I saw. I think that was a quick build after the plans for nearby developments were canceled. 

That reminds me of another (Imperial!) Polk County folly, the infamous Polk County Porkway.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:08 PM, klstorey said:

where did Google end up going?

Edited by jrs2

On 9/12/2018 at 4:06 PM, JFW657 said:

From the looks of the rendering, im guessing in the middle of Lake Eola?

Middle of Lake Ivanhoe?

Actually, that's not a bad idea, though the NIMBYS would squeal like stuck pigs.

They had conniption fits when a lighted fountain ala Lake Eola or Lake Lucerne was proposed.

Actually, a fountain was proposed for Lake Ivanhoe by Mayor Bill as the "Northern Gateway." It was nixed by the west shore neighbors because it would attract "those" people. So probably not happening there, either.

Back when Claude Kirk tried to move the capital to Orlando, one of the prime spots tossed around was the OUC land overlooking Lake Ivanhoe. That would have changed everything but alas it was not to be.

On 9/12/2018 at 3:39 PM, dcluley98 said:

It began as a branch campus of USF. Back then, there was a large contingent of moneyed Polk Republicans who ponied up their cash and made a political pull in Tallahassee to create a new campus and make it separate from USF.  The local senator JD Alexander was behind the push to do this. Additionally, there was quite an emphasis on the need for STEM institutions at the time during the aftermath of the last recession. I think they started the push in 2009-2011.  The Florida Board of Governors overseeing the State University System eventually approved and gave them the backing to create their own stand-alone university over time. The local politicians wanted it immediately and with more money, so pushed through a different funding bill in the senate that would fund the new Florida Polytechnic University, and Republican Rick Scott approved it.  The land itself was "donated" by the Williams Co. of oil/gas/pipeline business. 

(also to add. . . I am an Independent. I do not have anything against Republicans in general, although I do lean more left and can't stand Rick Scott). 

Interesting...I had no idea the school itself was so new - I kind of assumed it had been around and this was a new campus with a signature building.  Still, someone must have had either a great connection or a lot of cash to bring in a starchitect for it. I can't argue about more STEM education needed, but depending on how many students are there full time it's still really barren in the area.  I sure hope the UCF Downtown campus pulls more development and activity with it regardless of how much less iconic the building is

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Actually, a fountain was proposed for Lake Ivanhoe by Mayor Bill as the "Northern Gateway." It was nixed by the west shore neighbors because it would attract "those" people. So probably not happening there, either.

Back when Claude Kirk tried to move the capital to Orlando, one of the prime spots tossed around was the OUC land overlooking Lake Ivanhoe. That would have changed everything but alas it was not to be.

More recently, other fountains were proposed for the lake to go along with the I4 ultimate - once again billed as a "Northern Gateway", and once again foiled by the locals (this time because they would impose on wake boarding, fishing, paddle boarding, etc.).  A much more noble, and acceptable reason I believe

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

where did Google end up going?

I recall something about Google looking at a tech park in Sarasota. I know they have an office in Miami. I'm pretty sure Google dropped it's plans for a Central Florida office. 

According to this article from June, it looks like there's still hope that the tech research park is eventually developed around FPU.  Honestly, as it grows I could see Florida Poly being a big competitor against UCF. 

Here is the original master plan. This is the one that they had the scale model for in the Polk State College board room.  Sadly, the state spent all the money on having a star architect design this master plan then decided to not fund it and now we're left with one cool building, a bunch of rotting bridges, and ugly box-shaped dorm buildings. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Speaking of fountains in lakes, whatever happened to the digital sign/art that was proposed for Lake Dot as part of the Creative Village development?

villageconceptualrendering-300x219.jpg

Edited by klstorey
  • Like 1

It would be an interesting spot for a neon garden using Morse Gallery's collection of signs. The neon reflecting off the water would be amazing. I know it will never happen but a boy can dream.

16 minutes ago, Universe_Explorer said:

Interesting...I had no idea the school itself was so new - I kind of assumed it had been around and this was a new campus with a signature building.  Still, someone must have had either a great connection or a lot of cash to bring in a starchitect for it. I can't argue about more STEM education needed, but depending on how many students are there full time it's still really barren in the area.  I sure hope the UCF Downtown campus pulls more development and activity with it regardless of how much less iconic the building is

More recently, other fountains were proposed for the lake to go along with the I4 ultimate - once again billed as a "Northern Gateway", and once again foiled by the locals (this time because they would impose on wake boarding, fishing, paddle boarding, etc.).  A much more noble, and acceptable reason I believe

The irony is that the state has recently forced USF to rein its satellite schools back into one school (they had been acting essentially independently) while the state at the same time insisted on creating FPU as a separate school despite USF's objections and essentially as JD Alexander's legacy project. Amazing stuff.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Yup.

'Swhat I wuz talkin' 'bout re: the NIMBYs and their conniption fit.

1 hour ago, klstorey said:

Speaking of fountains in lakes, whatever happened to the digital sign/art that was proposed for Lake Dot as part of the Creative Village development?

villageconceptualrendering-300x219.jpg

Hopefully nothing.

Maybe it's just been overlooked due to all the interest being generated by the current construction.

I also still hope to see the custom lighting under I-4 on Livingston.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...