Creative Village

sunshine

Um...you can't build creativity. Which really has me worried that this is just a front for more office space. Hopefully they will at least try to get some retail in there.

I have a fair amount of faith in Dyer and Ustler to do this right. Especially Craig Ustler.

That said, the retail will have to want to move in...I think you'll see plenty of eateries open up, some of what we already have, to serve the students and professionals.

I have a fair amount of faith in Dyer and Ustler to do this right. Especially Craig Ustler.

That said, the retail will have to want to move in...I think you'll see plenty of eateries open up, some of what we already have, to serve the students and professionals.

What kind of retail do creative firms need?

Will there be an opportunity for a small print shop? The shop next to the Grand Bohemian and the one where Mad Cow Theater is are gone - I think Triangle on Gore does a lot of large-format for people.. with office printers improving, will there be a need for this? There is Sir Speedy and Fedex/Kinkos, but they provide very basic service.

Eateries, as you said, are a natural need.

Bike shop, possibly - for service/repair of creative-class cyclists - accessible to the Orlando Urban Trail, as well... however that progresses.

I would love to see an art gallery or two with accessible works and prices/prints.

I know its not on the map right now, but what about a pure-play children's museum on a park? This would provide a steady stream of families on weekends and help energize the spaces - if done early enough, it could be a selling point for other development.

Cities can do a lot to promote a "creative neighborhood," including providing the necessary infrastructure to harbor creative minds. For instance, many cities have artist studios in gentrifying neighborhoods, a way to usher new life into downtrodden districts while providing mutually beneficial opportunities for small business owners (cheap rent).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like they are going to implode the old areba after all...per a recommendation to the developer.

Haven't seen a possible date yet.

"Over the next two months, the contactor will work on the interior of the building preparing it for implosion sometime in March 2012. You may see some activity outside the building as well as the demolition contractor prepares for deconstruction."

http://www.cityoforlando.net/elected/venues/creativeupdate/index.htm

Thus far it looks like this will be an implosion without a film to make it famous. Why not do it as part of the opening ceremonies of the NBA All Star Weekend or something like that. Something to make this more than just a building blowing up, Orlando did a great job of creating the needed hype around the old City Hall, let's hope they are able to replicate it here.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

UCF, EA Sports Team Up on Digital Lab (Orlando Sentinel)

Officials on Friday announced the opening of the EA Sports Innovation Lab at the UCF Center for Emerging Media in downtown Orlando....EA Sports built the lab in space donated by UCF for students of the school's Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy. Orlando officials in 2004 donated the building at 500 W. Livingston St. so UCF students could learn about video-game design.

"The 3,000-square-foot lab, with 14 computer stations, a conference room with two massive flat-screen televisions and an Ikea sense of style, will serve as an extension of EA Sports' Maitland headquarters"

-------------------------

I wonder what the chances are that EA makes a full move from Maitland to Creative Village down the road?

• 5 months later...

Thomas Chatmon has alluded to a different timeline for Creative Village, perhaps first buildings opening in 2014 with a "Major Educational Anchor" in today's OBJ.  Anyone know what this could be - a Full Sail or similar for-profit college...

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2012/12/exclusive-creative-village-in-talks.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2012-12-14&page=all

Wish list: Art Institute of Orlando Johnson & Wales OSAD (Orlando School of Art & Design)

A true art school would be an amazing addition to the West side of I-4... even in old industrial buildings.  It would bring new life to the area (young and vibrant and fearless/foolish,) physical improvements through guerrilla art and public installations and help breathe life into under-leased neighborhoods.

Unless anything changed, VCC might be the "major educational anchor" mentioned in the OBJ article. This was mentioned in the project overview submitted to the US DOT for the Tiger II grant (E/W Lymmo):

"Once infrastructure is in place, the development team has commitments to develop an 80,000 square foot Digital Technology and Arts Program building for Valencia Community College (VCC), 100,000 square feet of commercial office and retail space, and 30-50 units of mixed income for-sale housing by the end of 2014. At build out, the development is anticipated to have up to 1.0 million square feet of office space, upwards of 500,000 square feet of higher education facilities, up to 265,000 square feet of retail, 150-200 hotel rooms, and as much as 1,500 units of mixed income housing. As the broad based investment and supporting commitments referenced throughout this application indicate, the project is being positioned and supported by major industry and educational institutions in the State to become the center for collaborative learning, research, and associated business activity in Central Florida over the next several decades."

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Unless anything changed, VCC might be the "major educational anchor" mentioned in the OBJ article. This was mentioned in the project overview submitted to the US DOT for the Tiger II grant (E/W Lymmo):

"Once infrastructure is in place, the development team has commitments to develop an 80,000 square foot Digital Technology and Arts Program building for Valencia Community College (VCC), 100,000 square feet of commercial office and retail space, and 30-50 units of mixed income for-sale housing by the end of 2014. At build out, the development is anticipated to have up to 1.0 million square feet of office space, upwards of 500,000 square feet of higher education facilities, up to 265,000 square feet of retail, 150-200 hotel rooms, and as much as 1,500 units of mixed income housing. As the broad based investment and supporting commitments referenced throughout this application indicate, the project is being positioned and supported by major industry and educational institutions in the State to become the center for collaborative learning, research, and associated business activity in Central Florida over the next several decades."

Wow. do you have a link to the source?

Sure, here's a link to the 2010 Tiger II application which summarizes plans for the CV. It's mentioned on the fourth page.

Also, our speculations on this forum were even mentioned in the OBJ here and here (erm... that reporter guy referred to it as the "Creative Village's crazy train").

The UCF & UF partnership already anchor the Creative Village so it doesn't seem like top secret news if they were going to expand IMO. Full Sail recently spent millions to expand near their current location in Winter Park, so it seems safe to say that they have no interest in moving to Parramore right now. I think it's Valencia is because 1) they were the only one to submit specific details in writing and 2) they're selling the Valencia Foundation administrative building on Orange Ave which makes me think they don't need more than one presence in downtown Orlando.

Just my 2 cents. Honestly, it doesn't really matter to me who the major anchor is going to be... I'm just glad the CV is finally coming to fruition. There were many critics who said it would NEVER happen so now they'll have to eat crow.

Edited by nite owℓ

Here's the text from Valencia's support letter in the Tiger II application - 

The Parramore Creative Village project provides us with a unique opportunity to establish a presence in Downtown Orlando for our digital technology and arts programs. The construction of a facility for these programs is high on our list of priorities and we see the opportunity for some great synergy by locating within the Creative Village project. We plan to build a state-of-the-art facility which will be approximately 80,000 square feet and is expected to cost approximately $23 million. Locating in the Creative Village will provide us with the opportunity to leverage off of the existing programs already offered there by the University of Central Florida and other existing and potential educational institutions which are looking to develop a presence in the Village.
The transit linkages planned within and surrounding the project are particularly valuable to Valencia given that those linkages will tie our existing network of regional campuses and provide easy access for our students, faculty, and staff.

I keep thinking of the Holy Roman Empire which was not holy, Roman or an empire. The "Creative Village" is neither creative nor a village. I recall SCAD redoing a moribund section of downtown Savannah and being remarkably successful and pining for the idea of converting our real "village" alon Orange Avenue. Instead we're going to get big box architecture. Oh well, no one ever accused Buddy of subtlety.

• Like 1

Well the CV is technically located in "Callahan" and most people wouldn't even know where that is anyway. However, most people would definitely consider it Parramore.

Here's the city's interpretation: "The Parramore neighborhood is approximately one sqaure mile in area bounded on the west by Orange Blossom Trail (SR 441), to the east by Interstate 4, to the south by Gore Street and to the north by West Colonial Drive (SR 50)".

• Like 1