Creative Village

sunshine

19 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

You know, not to harp on UF (based on all the...stuff...I've posted on that other thread), but, being that UF was opportunistic in the Medical City project, maybe they might see the benefit of building in CV as well and adding to the roster.

Buddy’s a Gator so it’s certainly possible. As for Medical City, Bernie Machen’s ties to the GOP played a definite role in how that all played out.

Edited by spenser1058

5 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Don't know if I mentioned it before or not, but I worked for the company that designed, fabricated and installed the city hall soccer ball. 

A couple of the installers and I went up there to take measurements, and we had to climb all the way up into the top of that ring around the top.

QYlaWKi2XMf_ldQMt6DwdD-w_lBkKM5dAkT-AYYd

Was this for the '94 World Cup?  I don't recall, but I'm guessing given the lack of CNL I & II (and City Commons garage, for that matter).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Although you would lose some of the walkscore a more vertical campus would have given, I can see them growing west along Amelia. 

Because it’s commercial and industrial rather than residential, it would not negate the understanding not to move into Parramore/Callahan.

Not to mention that, while Buddy is a protege of Mayor Bill who made the agreement in the first place, a future mayor may feel less constrained and move into Parramore despite the political fallout (which may be minimal given many of those folks involved will have passed on by then).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Amazon GO is planning to have 3000 stores operational by 2021. Might there be one in Creative Village’s future?

If so, the GO stores currently outpace sales of other convenience stores by 50%. Might they finally break the 7-Eleven monopoly downtown?

https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/01/27/amazoncoms-4-billion-retail-opportunity.aspx

From the Motley Fool

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 8:43 PM, prahaboheme said:

I like the main academic building. I do wonder though if UCF will regret not going more vertical with this building from the outset due to space limitations in the future.

I predict them moving east.  Bank of America Center, Crescent, X Orlando some of Zoi

On 1/10/2019 at 8:43 PM, prahaboheme said:

I like the main academic building. I do wonder though if UCF will regret not going more vertical with this building from the outset due to space limitations in the future.

2 hours ago, Jernigan said:

I predict them moving east.  Bank of America Center, Crescent, X Orlando some of Zoi

What's to stop them from just adding more floors on top of the new building?

They did it to the old JC Penney.

1 minute ago, JFW657 said:

What's to stop them from just adding more floors on top of the new building?

They did it to the old JC Penney.

It will depend on whether the building is designed to support additional floors.

Usually, as in the case of the JCPenney store downtown or the old Orlando City Hall, by the time they get around to that, the building is deemed obsolete (although the Penney’s was unusable for retail, it turned out to be fine for telecommunications/computer stuff).

4 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

It will depend on whether the building is designed to support additional floors.

Usually, as in the case of the JCPenney store downtown or the old Orlando City Hall, by the time they get around to that, the building is deemed obsolete (although the Penney’s was unusable for retail, it turned out to be fine for telecommunications/computer stuff).

I doubt they were thinking of stacking four more floors on top of the JC Penney building back in the 40's or 50's when they designed it. If that old structure could take it, I'm sure this new, modern construction can.

From what I've heard, the standard practice  in commercial construction engineering, is to "over design" by a factor of 5.

40 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I doubt they were thinking of stacking four more floors on top of the JC Penney building back in the 40's or 50's when they designed it. If that old structure could take it, I'm sure this new, modern construction can.

From what I've heard, the standard practice  in commercial construction engineering, is to "over design" by a factor of 5.

The Penney’s is from the early ‘60’s (there was a small storefront on Church St. before that which is now one of the bars there) and it was designed for addition later as Orlando grew (it was relatively small to begin with, only the ground floor and mezzanine, with stairs instead of an escalator.)

Penney’s was debating whether to become a full-fledged mass merchandiser at the time to compete with Sears and Monkey Ward. (They did so shortly thereafter - the WP Mall store from ‘64 highlighted the new design - unlike Sears and Ward, Penney started as a clothing store. JCP then changed their mind in 1982 and decided to sell hard goods mostly in the catalog.)

Why do I know this? A store manager in the early ‘80’s was a friend of mine and I’m a retail nerd.

BYW, Penney’s was the last major department store downtown to close. It hung in there and was still profitable when it shuttered shortly after the Florida Mall store opened in 1986.

Another oddity of that Penney’s: because it was so small and yet corporate decided they needed to sell toys to attract Christmas business (this is when the boomers were still kids), they sold toys from the bay accessed around the corner on Jefferson St. via a huge metal garage door. It was strange to say the least.

Edited by spenser1058