Creative Village

sunshine

Does the OBE have any chance of happening though? I feel like this route already has less density than Sunrail, which has the bare minimum numbers to even bother opening a commuter train. Also the wiki page said a study would take two years in 2012 and I could not find anything. 

According to some news articles I read back in March 2015 the ridership numbers didn't look particularly good. John Mica suggested a pilot program in which the rail freight company would provide commuter rail service, but nothing ever became from that idea. The study was conducted without taking into account the Creative village. I surmise that a new study will  be carried out once the creative village  and the Orlando City Stadium are built. These 2 new development projects are game changers. Also I never understood  why the Sunrail-OBE would initially be built out to Eustis. Would it not be better to continue towards Pine Hills, Ocoee and Winter Garden. The railroad tracks already lead out that way.

1 hour ago, Urban mail carrier said:

Another option would be to build the train station on Paramore between Robinson and Livingston.

1.It would serve the creative village on the other end.

2. Award the Paramore community with a train station directly in its neighborhood.

3. Serve the Orlando city stadium since it would be only 2 blocks away.

This can potentially revitalize that strip of Paramore Ave from the creative village all the way to the stadium. Businesses will fill in the gaps since there will now be increased pedestrian traffic in that area.

Yes, that area of Parramore is dead and a station there would really revitalize it in addition to all the mixed used education and commercial spaces, and residential slated to be built there. Maybe this could translate into Parramore Ave. becoming more of a proper main street north of the soccer stadium.

1 hour ago, cbejar93 said:

Does the OBE have any chance of happening though? I feel like this route already has less density than Sunrail, which has the bare minimum numbers to even bother opening a commuter train. Also the wiki page said a study would take two years in 2012 and I could not find anything. 

It may have a shot especially since it can connect all the smaller towns up to the northeast. Like Urban Mail Carrier said, the studies didn't look to promising, but this was when UCF's downtown campus was just beginning to be talked about, now that the campus is confirmed, the odds are looking better. There is very little news that comes about from this rail project. I haven't really found much of anything on it since last year either. It is low density, and from what I'm seeing it's just stopping in the towns along the way, but after Apopka it looks like nonstop into Orlando but with maybe one stop in between.

55 minutes ago, Urban mail carrier said:

According to some news articles I read back in March 2015 the ridership numbers didn't look particularly good. John Mica suggested a pilot program in which the rail freight company would provide commuter rail service, but nothing ever became from that idea. The study was conducted without taking into account the Creative village. I surmise that a new study will  be carried out once the creative village  and the Orlando City Stadium are built. These 2 new development projects are game changers. Also I never understood  why the Sunrail-OBE would initially be built out to Eustis. Would it not be better to continue towards Pine Hills, Ocoee and Winter Garden. The railroad tracks already lead out that way.

The stadium opening in the 2017 season followed by UCF downtown campus projected to be opening in Fall 2018, will be big game changers indeed. Around this time it's not unrealistic to expect that the first of the residential buildings would at least be somewhere in the construction stages, and maybe by then Creative Village should have been successful in attracting companies to the location, maybe we'll get lucky and a bigger tech company moves to Creative Village. All of the Orlando area is still going through a lot of growth and hopefully the OBE could become more justified as it becomes more dense. The tracks have already been improved in this corridor, so it's a matter of doubling the track, building stations, and buying rolling stock to get this thing running. Realistically, if it passes, I can imagine the OBE running in 2020 at the soonest.

I think the reason that it follows this particular corridor up to Apopka, Mount Dora, Taveres, and Eustis is because more people people commute through the 441 corridor I'm guessing, plus the existing tracks are already there, and most importantly, they have been improved.

To get a line to Pine Hills, Ocoee, and Winter Garden would require significant right of way acquisition, or building it on top of Silver Star, Colonial, or in the median of the 408 to avoid having to buy up a ton of properties and spend money on demolition and laying new track. Where the tracks exist in Ocoee and and Winter Garden, they are in pretty bad shape and I'm not even sure if portions of it, especially going into Winter Garden are really used much of anymore. It would require a lot of rehabilitation.

I imagine this route as a different line, I Imagine an east-west line running from Winter Garden, connecting to Ocoee, West Orange, Pine Hills, West Orlando, Downtown Orlando, the Executive Airport, Florida Hospital East Orlando/Goldenrod, Valencia College East, Waterford Lakes, and finally UCF main campus, basically a commuter train running through the median of the 408. An east to west line has been talked about before to compliment Sunrail, but currently there is no existing rail right of way in this area. This would probably be the cheapest option as it just requires widening the 408 to have a larger median, and connecting to and rehabilitating the rail right of way up Bluford Avenue in the west, and some right of way acquisition and building new track along 434 in the east.

Edited by metal93
Post formatting

Here is the conceptual plan for the OBE. I just see no density or really high enough demand to merit the billions plus it will cost to implement. Those are all pretty small towns on the way and very spread apart. I cannot really see the CV or the stadium changing demand either. The rail from Winter Garden to DTO is also a little out of the way and would take more time then just driving down Colonial. 

10 hours ago, metal93 said:

I imagine this route as a different line, I Imagine an east-west line running from Winter Garden, connecting to Ocoee, West Orange, Pine Hills, West Orlando, Downtown Orlando, the Executive Airport, Florida Hospital East Orlando/Goldenrod, Valencia College East, Waterford Lakes, and finally UCF main campus, basically a commuter train running through the median of the 408.

I don't think that is a good idea either. Building a local rail line down the median of a limited access highway does not increase connectivity, walk ability or anything really. People are only going to be able to ride it by car. It would be a huge waste. Lynx is planning an express bus to UCF, and honestly in the short and long run that is probably the best idea for the money. Things like the Colonial streetcar of I-Drive circulator or light-rail connecting downtown to the parks, are better capital investments.  

OrangeBlossomExpress_11x17.pdf

I understand the route to the northwest via apopka, I just believe that going due west towards Winter Garden is much more denser..ideally Orlando should get both..but Imo due west makes better sense to build first...also building on the east-west is not good for connectivity. Also everyone talks about ppl riding towards downtown Orlando and that the numbers are not good, but how the numbers of riders going to those destinations in reverse..with the southbound expansion and the promising numbers if riders it brings there is a likelihood of ppl wanting to go to Winter Garden or Mt. Dora. I've seen trains going up and down Clarcona-Ocoee Rd all the time..I know those tracks are viable.

Edited by Urban mail carrier
Completely thought

9 hours ago, Urban mail carrier said:

I understand the route to the northwest via apopka, I just believe that going due west towards Winter Garden is much more denser..ideally Orlando should get both..but Imo due west makes better sense to build first...also building on the east-west is not good for connectivity. Also everyone talks about ppl riding towards downtown Orlando and that the numbers are not good, but how the numbers of riders going to those destinations in reverse..with the southbound expansion and the promising numbers if riders it brings there is a likelihood of ppl wanting to go to Winter Garden or Mt. Dora. I've seen trains going up and down Clarcona-Ocoee Rd all the time..I know those tracks are viable.

Does it really require double tracking? Its a smaller route with last stops, and I thought  when they did the improvements a few years back, that was all that was really needed for passenger service as far as the actual rail lines go. We would just need stations and trains, not billions of dollars. It wasn't supposed to cost anything like Sunrail, and have less stops and service.

Edited by aent

I suspect ridership numbers won't be amazing until there is a baseline cultural shift in the way Floridian's view transit, the way Florida cities are planned and the amount of money its transit system gets. I think all those connections would be nice to have in the core/creative village, but if the connectivity on the opposite end isn't easily reached by the commuters, forget about it. 

• Like 1

As an alumnus, I have the distinct privilege of getting "personal" emails from UCF President John C. Hitt himself. I know they're personal messages sent just to me because he addresses me by my first name. :D

Anyway, got this one today in re: the downtown campus...

A Proud Day for UCF
Mar 16, 2016, 3:57 PM

From President John C. Hitt
ec?url=http%3A%2F%2Fhosting.fyleio.com%2

A Proud Day for UCF

Dear James,

In the 24 years since I became UCF president, few moments have been as important to our university as the one that occurred today.

On Tuesday, Governor Rick Scott approved $20 million toward a new academic building that will be the centerpiece of UCF Downtown. These state funds, along with $20 million matched in community support and another $20 million from internal university resources, will allow us to open a campus with Valencia College in our city’s urban core.

The new campus will build on the success of our existing Center for Emerging Media and the Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy, which The Princeton Review today ranked the No. 1 graduate video-gaming school in North America.

UCF Downtown will offer students an innovative learning environment within walking distance of thousands of internship and job opportunities in the growing fields of digital entertainment and communication, health technology and administration, and public service, including legal studies.

I am grateful for the efforts of our Central Florida Legislative delegation, led by Senate President Andy Gardiner and House Speaker Steve Crisafulli, Governor Scott, our university's leadership team, as well as the more than 150 members of our UCF Downtown Task Force of faculty and staff members, community leaders and partners, and students.

Today, the Governor also approved $15 million in the state budget toward UCF’s advanced manufacturing research center and consortium for smart sensors in Osceola County. This project is certain to give Florida a global competitive advantage in this critical and emerging market.

UCF has a history of success with location-based education with the internationally recognized Rosen College of Hospitality Management in the heart of the region's tourism corridor, the $5 billion modeling and simulation cluster in the Central Florida Research Park, and the pioneering College of Medicine as the centerpiece of the Lake Nona Medical City.

Similarly, UCF Downtown will transform the lives of our students and the future of our community, as well as benefit our state for decades to come.

Cordially yours,

ec?url=http%3A%2F%2Fhosting.fyleio.com%2

If anyone wants me to, I'll be happy to relay any messages or remarks you may have to my good friend "JC" when I reply or next time I see him. 

:lol:

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Do we know if this first push will involve student housing? Seems like with the student housing boom around UCF the past few years and with all the new apartments downtown, CV shouldn't have too much trouble getting an apartment builder in there.

Also, I noticed they somewhat recently updated Google Maps' satellite imagery of Orlando. You can now see a street grid emerging in CV and that the Parramore School site has been cleared:

CreativeVillage.JPG

It ought to be. It's pretty much of a local landmark. I think a few people would be rather upset if they announced plans to buldoze it.

Still a perfectly good theater that could be used for smaller, school related productions, concerts, guest lectures and even movies.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JFW657 said:

It ought to be. It's pretty much of a local landmark. I think a few people would be rather upset if they announced plans to buldoze it.

Still a perfectly good theater that could be used for smaller, school related productions, concerts, guest lectures and even movies.

One would hope Orlando has become sophisticated enough to support two 2000+ proscenium theaters.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I'm thinking they could use it for UCF functions and productions or smaller concerts and events that are too small for DPAC.

That's what I was thinking. It's within walking distance of UCF/Valencia, and of the new Parramore Community School. It doesn't look like the Parramore School will have its own theater, so with 900 students + staff + parents, it seems like a 2,500-seat auditorium would be a great asset for events or graduations.

In addition to that, a paired down Bob Carr (by closing the balconies similar to what Citrus Bowl does for Orlando City games) would be great for conferences, speakers, movie nights, Florida Film Festival events, Orlando Music Festival events, tech conferences, and the video game competitions Ustler has mentioned before.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Saw this reported on the local news this evening...

Design/build team chosen for UCF Downtown

WRITTEN BY ORLANDO BUSINESS JOURNAL POSTED: 06/29/2016, 10:00AM
The University of Central Florida has chosen a team to design and build its new downtown Orlando campus. SchenkelShultz Architecture, Robert A.M. Stern Architects and Skanska USA Building Inc. — a team referred to as SSA/RAMSA/Skanska — were chosen among eight design/build teams that submitted bids for the project in April, according to a news release from UCF.
Went to the architect's website and checked out their portfolio. They've done buildings at Valencia & UCF main campus.
Nothing really exciting looking.
01.jpg 
01.jpg
 01.jpg 
01.jpg 

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 2

Robert AM Stern Architects has also been chosen, which I find encouraging.  I'd be curious to see what the collaboration with Stern will entail (master planning, building design, etc).  They have a ton of experience with major construction projects and their expertise could be critical here.  They are also no strangers to Central Florida having designed many buildings and master plans for Disney, including the town of Celebration.

http://www.ramsa.com/projects.php?project_type=ALL&c=ALL&s=ALL&lang=en

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1