Creative Village

sunshine

Food halls to bring new dining option to Central Florida

Looks like a food hall is coming to Creative Village:

• "The food hall has proven to be successful as a community gathering place in other cities, and it's coming here soon," said Creative Village developer Craig Ustler, who is planning a food hall at that downtown project. "It shows a commitment to the local food culture and a commitment to the startup food entrepreneurs. Young people gravitate to that."
  • Ustler wants to put a food hall at downtown's Creative Village project in the base of one of the mixed-use buildings that will complement the planned UCF Downtown campus. The Creative Village Food Hall is still in its preliminary stages, Ustler said. However, he said food halls will likely be a bigger part of future projects in the area. "In these creative-class cities, the food and beverage scene is integral to young people," Ustler said. "We're trying to bring that here."

• Like 1

On 5/4/2016 at 11:11 PM, smileguy said:

I would love to see it stripped back to the original footprint (or close to it) with a smaller house and historic facade exposed to the street. That'd be much too large of an investment, though. 

650x366

And the Original Easty Organ (of epic proportions) reinstalled. 

Makes sense, there will have to be some kind of large food establishment if there's going to be thousands of students there. The current UCF building there has nowhere to eat inside or in the immediate vicinity, with the exception of a truck with a grill trailer selling hamburgers and stuff that parks in front of the UCF building but it's not around often. Anything else requires an unwelcoming walk under I-4, Lymmo, or car. Plus the surrounding Parramore is a food desert.

I had this rant on The Daily City facebook and then on my own personal one.  Where did this Food Hall name come from?  It's a market!  Everyone knows the term market.  Hell, the ones we have already (East End, Plant Street) have it IN THEIR NAME.  Why can't we just call it a public market like we have for centuries?

On May 4, 2016 at 11:11 PM, smileguy said:

I would love to see it stripped back to the original footprint (or close to it) with a smaller house and historic facade exposed to the street. That'd be much too large of an investment, though. 

650x366

You'd have to demolish the raked seating as the ground entranceways now enter under the seats. Perhaps redoing the 1970s' enclosure with less obstructions would be good. Removing the curtains was a nice step except the heat of the day has overburdened the already underpowered and old HVAC system.

On July 8, 2016 at 2:08 PM, AndyPok1 said:

I had this rant on The Daily City facebook and then on my own personal one.  Where did this Food Hall name come from?  It's a market!  Everyone knows the term market.  Hell, the ones we have already (East End, Plant Street) have it IN THEIR NAME.  Why can't we just call it a public market like we have for centuries?

Perhaps it's my German heritage, but I grew up with foodhalls. A market I think of as shopping. 

• 2 weeks later...

A garage? I was hoping all the surface parking lots and vacant lots along I-4 through Downtown would be built up into high rises and skyscrapers, like the Tremont. Oh well. Whatever there plans are, there should be ground level retail on the Livingston side, as Livingston is supposed to be the main east-west street through Creative Village. I'm hoping the City doesn't let them get away with building a bland garage, in my opinion there should be something iconic on that corner to signal to pedestrians and motorists alike "you are now entering Creative Village."

The old Marriot from my understanding will renovated and brought back as a hotel. The ownership has changed hands a few times, I can't recall who owns the property or what it's going to be called though.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2016 at 1:38 PM, metal93 said:

A garage? ... Whatever there plans are, there should be ground level retail on the Livingston side, as Livingston is supposed to be the main east-west street through Creative Village.

If I recall correctly, several of the proposals have included facing the existing garages with residences. I don't know much about that, but it seems like it would be quite a project since they're older construction, will need ventilation, etc. I'd hope that if they're going through that trouble, they'd at least do ground floor retail in this location.

• 3 weeks later...

The big news was the armory was designated a historic landmark. The side note was that the Carr was also so designated. So they can gut it and make it into office space if they want and don't understand how expensive the technical bones of the building is, but it will be harder to knock it down for a parking garage. Hopefully our city fathers and mothers will think we aren't that much of a hick town that we can't support more than one 2000+ seat theater. But of course they could build a garage and place a plaque on the wall like at Tinker Field I suppose.

Interesting read on the history of the municipal auditorium from the proposal:

http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2016/07/HPB2016-00148-Bob-Carr-Landmark.pdf

Got a few pictures of the new Livingston Street. It's coming alone, very slowly but steady.

Most recently I noticed the started putting in grass sod where the old alignment was. I suppose when the new alignment is open, they will eventually begin to close more of the old Livingston up to the new Terry Avenue intersection and to my understanding it will be converted into a plaza?  As for the parking lot in front of the UCF building, this is site where the new UCF buildings will stand in the future.

20160825_152800.jpg20160825_152904.jpg20160825_152933.jpg

• Like 1