Creative Village

sunshine

16 hours ago, codypet said:

It's going back to Marriot?  Wasn't it the Sheraton when it closed?

Not to be too dorky, but I think a Marriott flag is good for downtown.  How many reasonable cities don't have a Marriott downtown? I realize our flagship hotels are always going to be in the attractions areas, but I'm not convinced the boutique hotels are going to suffice if we ever want downtown to thrive as a center for business and small convention activity

GS has the scoop on a new tower...

- NW corner of Terry and Livingston

- 15 story

- includes restaurants, retail, educational support space and student apartments and integrated parking

- 10-12K of commercial space 

- 600 beds

- 600 parking spaces

- UCF support services on floors 1-3

- Valencia culinary and hospitality on some of plus floors 4-5

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

GS has the scoop on a new tower...

- NW corner of Terry and Livingston

- 15 story

- includes restaurants, retail, educational support space and student apartments and integrated parking

- 10-12K of commercial space 

- 600 beds

- 600 parking spaces

- UCF support services on floors 1-3

- Valencia culinary and hospitality on some of plus floors 4-5

NW corner would put it right on top of the old rec complex, wouldn't it?

Would be a shame to demo that.

I wonder if they meant NE corner?

Wouldn't be the first such misprint.

map-web.jpg

• Like 1

Long Live the Davis Armory!

Back when the Central Florida Fair was still held along that strip of Livingston (the City and the Fair folks swapped land to build the original arena), the Davis Armory always looked sort of skeery and made me afraid when we walked past it. I'd sure hate to lose its deco awesomeness, though.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, smileguy said:

I put everything that has been announced, as far as I can tell, into a map. Feel free to edit and update! 
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HthMrOsixO8DUQLPC9FBO5Ve6Yg&usp=sharing 

Great map! I started a really similar one, but yours turned out better. You could add that coffee roasting/brewery project to where Clean the World is now (behind the hotel), and even Lexington Court--although not technically CV, it's right across the street and the same developer as Amelia Court. 

Hope you don't mind, I added the renderings for student housing, Amelia Court, Parramore School, and the Marriott. 

5 minutes ago, alex said:

Great map! I started a really similar one, but yours turned out better. You could add that coffee roasting/brewery project to where Clean the World is now (behind the hotel), and even Lexington Court--although not technically CV, it's right across the street and the same developer as Amelia Court. 

Hope you don't mind, I added the renderings for student housing, Amelia Court, Parramore School, and the Marriott. 

I don't mind at all - please improve. I added your suggestions, too. The idea is to put together all of the projects in the area, so a strict definition of CV isn't a priority. 

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Long Live the Davis Armory!

Back when the Central Florida Fair was still held along that strip of Livingston (the City and the Fair folks swapped land to build the original arena), the Davis Armory always looked sort of skeery and made me afraid when we walked past it. I'd sure hate to lose its deco awesomeness, though.

Would take very little to spruce it up, too.

And save another little piece of Orlando history in the process.

• Like 1

I'd love to see Davis Armory opened up and used as a food hall / grocer once there are more residents in the immediate area, similar to say the recently renovated St Roch Market in NOLA (perhaps at a lower price point though to cater to the neighborhood and customer base in a more thoughtful way).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good. That bridge connecting the two buildings concept reminds me of the Architecture and Fine Arts Library in UF. Looks like the original building isn't getting a whole lot of work done aside from some facade treatments facing that mini-plaza between the two new buildings - would be nice to see them add an extra floor or two on top of the original building.

Excited to see this moving forward and I agree that DP Academic Commons (DPAC - oh boy, another DPAC in this city) is a great start.

I was hoping to see the "grand central" park extend from Livingston to Lake Dot, creating an unbroken esplanade that would offer some great opportunities for a National Mall of sorts at the local level, bordered on both sides by development.  It appears in the updated model that Lake Dot will be disconnected from the park space within the Creative Village.  Perhaps this was always the plan, though.

Edited by prahaboheme

1 hour ago, alex said:

Dang, that's a stately looking building. I'll probably be in the minority, but I love the design. 

DrPhillipsAcademicCommons.JPG.877687651ddb80fe6fac6748770fe8c7.JPG

DrPhillipsAcademicCommons2.JPG.7b27a619a4e52b4b37744d42fc22992f.JPG

DrPhillipsAcademicCommons3.JPG.4427650da597228b66f475663656dbfe.JPG

Looks OK but nothing spectacular. I was hoping for something really cool looking, but that, though it doesn't look bad, just doesn't make me say "wow".

Sort of pedestrian.

• Like 1

From what I can tell, two factors play into the design of this building:

1) Robert AM Stern Architects worked on the design.  They are known to gravitate to more neo-classical architecture.

2) Budget.  A 148,000 sq ft academic building on a $60 million budget is working under pretty tight constraints.  Academic buildings going up all over the country between 150-170k sq ft can easily top $150 million, especially at private institutions.  Given this disparity, I really think they did a nice job here.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 3