Creative Village

5 minutes ago, alex said:

Great map! I started a really similar one, but yours turned out better. You could add that coffee roasting/brewery project to where Clean the World is now (behind the hotel), and even Lexington Court--although not technically CV, it's right across the street and the same developer as Amelia Court. 

Hope you don't mind, I added the renderings for student housing, Amelia Court, Parramore School, and the Marriott. 

I don't mind at all - please improve. I added your suggestions, too. The idea is to put together all of the projects in the area, so a strict definition of CV isn't a priority. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stumbled on a link of really awesome photos of Creative Village and DT area poking around the CV development site.  Great shots! Click through and enjoy: http://creativevillageorlando.com/downloa

Per Growthspotter $250 Million Phase Two. Parcel X - 12 Story Class A Office Space with COVID-19 in mind. 185,000 sq ft with 5,000 SQ ft on ground floor retail. Calling it 'Building X' for n

I drove around downtown Orlando yesterday after not being there for several months. As I was driving south on I-4, the first thing that really stood out to me was how west of I-4 felt much more vertic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Long Live the Davis Armory!

Back when the Central Florida Fair was still held along that strip of Livingston (the City and the Fair folks swapped land to build the original arena), the Davis Armory always looked sort of skeery and made me afraid when we walked past it. I'd sure hate to lose its deco awesomeness, though.

Would take very little to spruce it up, too.

And save another little piece of Orlando history in the process.

• Like 1

I'd love to see Davis Armory opened up and used as a food hall / grocer once there are more residents in the immediate area, similar to say the recently renovated St Roch Market in NOLA (perhaps at a lower price point though to cater to the neighborhood and customer base in a more thoughtful way).

• Like 2

I added some of the parks that are planned to the Google Map.  It's a little difficult placing them because their placement changed depending on where you look, but some are constant. The Gateway Park is the most difficult to pinpoint a location for.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good. That bridge connecting the two buildings concept reminds me of the Architecture and Fine Arts Library in UF. Looks like the original building isn't getting a whole lot of work done aside from some facade treatments facing that mini-plaza between the two new buildings - would be nice to see them add an extra floor or two on top of the original building.

Excited to see this moving forward and I agree that DP Academic Commons (DPAC - oh boy, another DPAC in this city) is a great start.

I was hoping to see the "grand central" park extend from Livingston to Lake Dot, creating an unbroken esplanade that would offer some great opportunities for a National Mall of sorts at the local level, bordered on both sides by development.  It appears in the updated model that Lake Dot will be disconnected from the park space within the Creative Village.  Perhaps this was always the plan, though.

Edited by prahaboheme
1 hour ago, alex said:

Dang, that's a stately looking building. I'll probably be in the minority, but I love the design. 

DrPhillipsAcademicCommons.JPG.877687651ddb80fe6fac6748770fe8c7.JPG

DrPhillipsAcademicCommons2.JPG.7b27a619a4e52b4b37744d42fc22992f.JPG

DrPhillipsAcademicCommons3.JPG.4427650da597228b66f475663656dbfe.JPG

Looks OK but nothing spectacular. I was hoping for something really cool looking, but that, though it doesn't look bad, just doesn't make me say "wow".

Sort of pedestrian.

• Like 1

From what I can tell, two factors play into the design of this building:

1) Robert AM Stern Architects worked on the design.  They are known to gravitate to more neo-classical architecture.

2) Budget.  A 148,000 sq ft academic building on a $60 million budget is working under pretty tight constraints.  Academic buildings going up all over the country between 150-170k sq ft can easily top $150 million, especially at private institutions.  Given this disparity, I really think they did a nice job here.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 3

That all may well be true, but maybe they shouldn't build up expectations by putting out concept renderings that look like this...

central-park-3*750xx2550-1437-0-151.jpg

Get our hopes up with a lot of futuristic looking eye candy then give us a plain box with some glass on it.

Like I said, not ugly but no wow factor either.

On the other hand, maybe this being the UCF building maybe it will be the only conservative looking design in the complex. Maybe they'll go all out on some of the other more centrally located buildings.

• Like 3

I really wanted this awesome design with the overhangs and unique building design.  I guess they either didn't have the budget or didn't have ambition.  I greatly dislike this design, but at least this is finally getting built.  I wouldn't put it past UCF to order a new firm to design it, which they won't because of the increased costs.

Capture.PNG

20 hours ago, JFW657 said:

That all may well be true, but maybe they shouldn't build up expectations by putting out concept renderings that look like this...

central-park-3*750xx2550-1437-0-151.jpg

Get our hopes up with a lot of futuristic looking eye candy then give us a plain box with some glass on it.

Like I said, not ugly but no wow factor either.

On the other hand, maybe this being the UCF building maybe it will be the only conservative looking design in the complex. Maybe they'll go all out on some of the other more centrally located buildings.

In fairness to UCF, I don't think they had much to do with this Baker Barrios concept art from a decade ago.  We all know that Baker Barrios takes liberties with their concepts and over time other firms come in to finish the deal.  To me, the models remind me of downtown's last boom when buildings like Dynetech and the Plaza went up. 

I'm sorry, but this is, IMHO,straight TRASH. Looks like some nondescript call center building in Lake Mary. Huge MISSED opportunity. To me Ustler has gotten comfortable with mediocrity...and this is even below that for such a prime location. Very underwhelming.

Edited by orlandouprise
  • Like 1

I mean how does this even happen.  UCFs main campus isn't even this bad.   Research Park is this bad but why would they do that.

I don't think this is on Ustler (not to give him an out).   Perhaps UCF is just desperate to get this first piece built before Scott finds a way to pull the plug

It's not horrible, although I wish it was higher around 8 stories. Not sure why they couldn't have done mixed use with dorms ontop ( Rick Scott? ).

Looks like there are two plots of land remaining. I'm guessing dorm and another academic building? Of course the old expo center could eventual get leveled once space becomes an issue.

But let's be honest folks... This land has sat empty for 7 years, and this is the catalyst that gets things started!

I like it but I am a fan of Stern. 

The renderings above have no relation to the project. They were just to show something could go here. It is unfortunate that people look at the design submissions from RFQs as if that is what is going to get built. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jack said:

I like it but I am a fan of Stern. 

The renderings above have no relation to the project. They were just to show something could go here. It is unfortunate that people look at the design submissions from RFQs as if that is what is going to get built. 

Well I never expected the final buildings to look exactly like that rendering. I think we've all seen initial renderings morph and change into something different enough times to know better than that.

Dynatech and Solaire being a couple of prime examples.

But... when you see a rendering like the initial one for Creative Village, you kind of think (or hope) that it at least reflects the general architectural style, look and feel that they're planning on going for. 

The entire concept of a "creative village" lends one to think that the architecture contained therein will be reflective of that purpose and goal, which I assume is to inspire creativity. If what we end up with is a little sector of uninspired, pedestrian looking mid-rise boxes with little swatches of glass here and there or a doohickey or two on the roof, then all these years of anticipation will have been a waste.

And Orlando will have further cemented its reputation as a boring town that can't seem to do cool looking architecture.

On 4/7/2017 at 7:52 PM, prahaboheme said:

From what I can tell, two factors play into the design of this building:

1) Robert AM Stern Architects worked on the design.  They are known to gravitate to more neo-classical architecture.

2) Budget.  A 148,000 sq ft academic building on a $60 million budget is working under pretty tight constraints.  Academic buildings going up all over the country between 150-170k sq ft can easily top $150 million, especially at private institutions.  Given this disparity, I really think they did a nice job here.

I agree, I think price was a big factor. $100/sq ft is relatively cheap for this type of building. The newer Bush building at Rollins was closer to $200-250/sq ft, due in part to high-tech lab equipment as well as the materials. 

I'm guessing the all-glass high-rises were in the renderings to show the private development around the park, like the hotel they've planned for. However, I anticipate the UCF building aging well and having great pedestrian-level interaction, which the Dynatech Center and Solaire don't have.

Like it or not, one of Ustler's big inspirations is the Pearl District in Portland. The newer buildings there are generally "boxy" mid-rises in a Scandinavian-contemporary or Internal Style architecture. What they lack in height and glass they make up for in great street-level design, consistency, and sustainable features like green roofs. 

pearl-district.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Well I never expected the final buildings to look exactly like that rendering. I think we've all seen initial renderings morph and change into something different enough times to know better than that.

Dynatech and Solaire being a couple of prime examples.

But... when you see a rendering like the initial one for Creative Village, you kind of think (or hope) that it at least reflects the general architectural style, look and feel that they're planning on going for. 

The entire concept of a "creative village" lends one to think that the architecture contained therein will be reflective of that purpose and goal, which I assume is to inspire creativity. If what we end up with is a little sector of uninspired, pedestrian looking mid-rise boxes with little swatches of glass here and there or a doohickey or two on the roof, then all these years of anticipation will have been a waste.

And Orlando will have further cemented its reputation as a boring town that can't seem to do cool looking architecture.

Dynetech and Solaire were both owner driven. The renderings we all saw were approved. UCF's RFQ response was only a "hey, look at what we can do". And Baker's was not contemplating a UCF presence back then and I always though it was too dense. 

• sunshine changed the title to Creative Village