Creative Village

sunshine

1 hour ago, smileguy said:

I am sure UCF will also run shuttles to its main campus, like they do for Rosen College, making it possible for students to live at Creative Village or the Main Campus and get to the other campus for classes without driving/parking. I think Rosen has about 3,000 students and 400 beds so we should expect this to be about 2 and a half times the size.

I heard UCF and Valencia are pushing for the SR50 BRT system to be in place by the time UCF Downtown opens, so the Student Government Association won't need to pay for an additional shuttle route to the downtown campus.

• Like 1

UCF is a partner/stakeholder on the SR50 study but are not planning for supporting it financially.   They are interested in running their buses for students to keep them "safe" and are geeking out to the idea of them being like "Google buses" 

As an alum, I'm hoping to sneak on one for basketball games in the future.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/13/2017 at 4:37 PM, alex said:

Haven't been by in person, but it looks like the Parramore K-8 school is making progress:

school1.jpg.f24495d9a6bac52e5d9a07e93f9cad94.jpg

school2.thumb.jpg.e89571aa730e7285b00ffc927060280b.jpg

It's been fun to watch it pop up so fast. I'm interested to see what they do to make the streetscape more people friendly. I'm hoping local arts groups can work with them to do some "arting" of the walls and sidewalks. 

• Like 1

I rather they don't paint graffiti everywhere and just plant some climbing plants over those wall. To me, graffiti are not arts and especially those in Orlando. There are some that are tastefully done around the world, but in Orlando, they look like something painted by teenagers that have nothing better to do.

On the side note, I hope all these buildings are green certified.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UngaBungalow said:

It's been fun to watch it pop up so fast. I'm interested to see what they do to make the streetscape more people friendly. I'm hoping local arts groups can work with them to do some "arting" of the walls and sidewalks. 

I've noticed that the big new schools (Parramore, Kaley, and Audubon) all lack a strong main entrance. They all look a little like little prisons--are you supposed to enter or be able to leave? I know it's probably for security reasons, but they could have taken some inspiration from Howard Middle. 

I wouldn't mind a big mural or two. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alex said:

I've noticed that the big new schools (Parramore, Kaley, and Audubon) all lack a strong main entrance. They all look a little like little prisons--are you supposed to enter or be able to leave? I know it's probably for security reasons, but they could have taken some inspiration from Howard Middle. 

I wouldn't mind a big mural or two. 

CPTED

2 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

CPTED

True. I'm sure it'll look great with landscaping, and the inside will look nice--it's one of the better examples of recent schools. But compared to the openness of, say, the new UCF/Valencia building, it feels very turned inward. I guess post-war schools are generally pretty industrial looking. 

I see CPTED as a more effective measure against muggings or break-ins (good lighting, eyes on the street, safety phones, etc.). I don't know if it's enough to stop the more severe instances of crime. 

16 minutes ago, codypet said:

I thought the armory was staying and only the shed to the north was coming down?

That was the last I heard, also. JFW if you get more on that please post it because we'll need to push back on that. We have so little from the Deco era we can't afford to lose it (and just when we thought Bulldozer Buddy had learned his lesson *sigh*).

This appears to be a case of poor journalism on Channel 9's part (I know, shocking, right?)

The Tennis Center at the Davis Armory may indeed have to relocate, but the structure itself was given Landmark status in November, 2016.

While it's not impossible to dial that back, it would be politically unpalatable for Bulldozer Buddy. Particularly in light of the Tinker Field debacle, I think any such move could be fought.

For the moment, there didn't seem to be any actual teeth in the story or even a response from the City, but rather more of a trial balloon. If I had to guess, I'd say one of the myriad candidates in the upcoming City Council race is trying to make waves. Stay tuned, though, I put out some feelers.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1