Creative Village

sunshine

11 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

UCF is constructing a 580 space garage at 325 N Parramore Ave which will include a campus store, conference areas, parking offices and warehousing for supplies 

I wonder if the campus store will be operated by Amazon. If so, we may FINALLY get some Amazon Lockers back downtown.

6 hours ago, Jernigan said:

UCF is constructing a 580 space garage at 325 N Parramore Ave which will include a campus store, conference areas, parking offices and warehousing for supplies 

Were there plans submitted to the city with renderings by any chance? Or has this yet to be approved?

3 hours ago, codypet said:

Probably Barnes & Noble.  They operate the two on campus.

The Barnes &a Noble on the 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica is closing. 

The rumor on the street is that Amazon books is moving into the space. 

I have to wonder if B&N is currently in the market for expansion at this moment. They have done well with campus projects over the years.

Barnes & Noble continues to be rumored as one of the leading retail candidates for bankruptcy this year, along with Sears and several others. Meanwhile, Amazon launched one of their first  "pickup points" on the main campus last summer so it leads me to wonder.

http://knightnews.com/2017/05/new-amazon-lockers-pickup-point-to-be-built-near-cfe-arena-ucf-barnes-noble/

From Knight News

Edited by spenser1058

6 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Barnes & Noble continues to be rumored as one of the leading retail candidates for bankruptcy this year, along with Sears and several others. Meanwhile, Amazon launched one of their first  "pickup points" on the main campus last summer so it leads me to wonder.

http://knightnews.com/2017/05/new-amazon-lockers-pickup-point-to-be-built-near-cfe-arena-ucf-barnes-noble/

From Knight News

Interestingly enough, the B&N at Bumby and Colonial just replaced their signage this week.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, prahaboheme. I asked upthread if we should put a different thread for the student housing under-construction or keep this same thread for under-construction. At this point, I think I agree with others at keep CV under one thread and change it to under-construction. There should be a couple of projects under construction at the same time under this thread, but it will be easier to keep track of the area.

• Like 2

We had discussed recently the travails of Barnes & Noble and whether there might be an opening for Amazon at the bookstore announced for the downtown campus.

CNBC reports B&N ain't doing so well. While it gives no report on the college bookstores part of the business, in general B&N had a dismal holiday season during what was a robust period overall.

Stay tuned.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/02/12/barnes-noble-cuts-staff-after-dismal-holiday-season.html

On 2/12/2018 at 5:41 PM, cwetteland said:

They've been drilling and pouring concrete pilings for the UCF academic building for a while.  There are probably over 100 of these pilings.  Each has a piece of 1" diameter rebar sticking out the top which are flush with the ground.   Regarding "UCF movement," are you talking about additional buildings?

Something in the OBJ last week that stated they were not breaking ground until the Summer.  It didn't make sense because they previously reported that three buildings were to break ground...around now.

Edited by jrs2

51 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Something in the OBJ last week that stated they were not breaking ground until the Summer.  It didn't make sense because they previously reported that three buildings were to break ground...around now.

Maybe they were talking about a different project in CV like some of the affordable housing?  UCF had a high-visibility groundbreaking a few months back. 

• Like 1

They've been working on the academic building for several months, with 100 or more pilings already in place, I drove by yesterday and they were in a new phase with quite a few workers on site.   They were using small backhoes and it looked like they were doing foundation work around the perimeter of the building.  

By pilings I mean they were doing some kind of vertical drilling with a concrete pumps filling the holes.

• Like 2