sunshine

Creative Village

14 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Not unlike, say, Thornton Park Central, which at the time was widely commended for transforming Thornton Park into what it has become today.  Twenty years later, and we still don't see mixed use projects so successfully implemented (including every project that Ustler has attempted since).

I wonder how much of that success was because of Phil Rampy and NOT Craig Ustler...

48 minutes ago, orlandouprise said:

I wonder how much of that success was because of Phil Rampy and NOT Craig Ustler...

I thought TPC was more Craig's project than Phil's. Phil was certainly instrumental in the conversion of Thornton Park proper (E Washington St.) and was without doubt probably the more creative of the two. That's going back a bit though so maybe it's all a big haze to me now...

20 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

An article on Johns Hopkins efforts to turn East Baltimore into a major biotech hub. This is a massive redevelopment of Middle East, complete with a fancy new name:  Eager Park.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/apr/18/gentrify-or-die-inside-a-universitys-controversial-plan-for-baltimore

This has me thinking more about the approach taken thus far to CV.  The initial vision for CV was to establish a "creative class" hub complete with startup incubators; this was nearly a decade ago. Perhaps this initial vision was premature.  What evolved over time is the establishment of the downtown campus for UCF/Valencia and it appears the entire CV will eventually build out as the campus and a center of activity that caters to student life. 

Will the inception of the downtown campus lead to further investment in Parramore, or does it take controversial plans like Eager Park (with the backing of the Michael Bloombergs of the world) to force change? Will the actual "creative village" end up being in an entirely different location further west into Parramore?

I, for one, am of the opinion that the "Creative Village" name should now be dropped entirely.  Restore it to Callahan and promote the area as the downtown UCF campus.

I have been thinking similarly.  Wasn't there supposed to be more space for office development at the CV?  

I always pictured cool warehouse/loft-style offices for tech startups.

I know others suggested CV for the Amazon HQ2 a while back.  

Were the original plans changed to a more traditional urban college-campus? 

9 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

I have been thinking similarly.  Wasn't there supposed to be more space for office development at the CV?  

I always pictured cool warehouse/loft-style offices for tech startups.

I know others suggested CV for the Amazon HQ2 a while back.  

Here's an article from Orlando Weekly from, gasp, 2007 that is worth a read: https://m.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/creative-by-design/Content?oid=2274793

;"The Creative Village," reads the accompanying vision statement, "will be a magnet for knowledge workers to live, work, learn and play — a place where high-tech, digital media and creative industry companies integrate with residential, retail, and academia in a neighborhood that is connected to the surrounding community and plugged in globally …."

I, for one, am of the opinion that the "Creative Village" name should now be dropped entirely.  Restore it to Callahan and promote the area as the downtown UCF campus.

I couldn't agree more. IIRC, "Creative Village" was always intended to be a temporary name, but as development has ramped up along with the approval of UCF Downtown, it's stuck around and outworn its welcome. It sounds contrived and forced.

I think the best thing that could happen is for this area to become incorporated into the Parramore neighborhood boundaries. It's a boost to the reputation of the neighborhood and its residents, and it helps promote Parramore as a progressive area with an association tying it to a major university. Just my two cents.
  • Like 3

I agree. I think the whole "Creative Village" thing began as a PR cover to build the DeVoses a new arena and to demolish an expensive asset that was only 25 years old.

I couldn't agree more. IIRC, "Creative Village" was always intended to be a temporary name, but as development has ramped up along with the approval of UCF Downtown, it's stuck around and outworn its welcome. It sounds contrived and forced. 

Could "Creative Village" end up being the EPCOT of downtown Orlando?

IOW, a fancy name based on a high-minded concept that ends up being something much more ordinary?

• Like 1

IAmFlorida Born, I have not heard of that project yet, "Prism Residences at Creative Village" however, in that rendering, the building on the left is the student housing building that is currently under construction (shown previously in this thread on page 24). As such, this rendering seems to be more apartments on the lot directly to the north of the Student Housing building. That would be the "market rate apartments" on the west side of the Central Park. The view is to the west from the Central Park in the rendering you posted and corner is Terry and Amelia. 

CVO_Student-Housing-Renderings_Page_3.jpg.2a6cb9052d2182057bfdd5c288ef5c4a.jpg

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Anyone know what this is for creative village? image.png.767238d226a726b7a4ca5e75ff6ff468.png

I love the colored glass. Reminds me of the Friction building in downtown Winter Park beside the train station. 

• Like 1

Sneaky, sneaky you guys. I wonder which project this is. The Baker Barrios website lists it as:

PROJECT COMPONENTS

• 600 Units
  • Food Hall
  • Outdoor Gathering Space

PROJECT SIZE

• 250,000 SF
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, alex said:

Also, in case anyone else is like me and having trouble keeping all these projects separated, I made a quick Google Map. (Don't judge my streets, I know some of the lots are off...)

Great map! Thanks!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alex said:

Also, in case anyone else is like me and having trouble keeping all these projects separated, I made a quick Google Map. (Don't judge my streets, I know some of the lots are off...)

I notice you straightened out the curve...... :angry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I notice you straightened out the curve...... :angry:

I'll be honest: I skimmed that whole discussion haha. What was the final verdict?

I may have noticed this late, but after nearly 2 years, the Google Maps satellite view of Downtown has finally been updated, last time this was done was mid 2016 I think. Highlights include the completed Parramore school, Livingston re-alignment, significant I-4 work, the garage behind the hotel, and the beginning stages of the student housing building captured on satellite.  Previously these were not on satellite or at best only captured the initial construction stages.

Outside of CV, the Ace Cafe site is view-able, along with Modera mid-construction, Citi Tower in its completed state, the MEC block with the garage and OPD headquarters removed, as well as initial site work of Church Street Plaza and DPAC phase II visible. So the satellite imagery is probably a couple of months old but better than a couple of years.

• Like 3