Creative Village

sunshine

This is "Phase I" and there are significant additions for the next phase and final build-out that are not shown on the rendering. Buildings shown north of the Student Housing are not the latest renderings from the architect. Look upthread for the "Prism" rendering IAF posted upthread here: 

Of course that is still a conceptual rendering as well, and we may get a lesser version when it is actually constructed.

I quite like the Academic Commons building design and how it lines up to the central park area. It is a decent start to the project along with the student housing. Hopefully as the snowball gets going larger projects and more mixed use and corporate/design oriented buildings can happen. 

Edited by dcluley98

On 4/20/2018 at 12:38 PM, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Anyone know what this is for creative village? image.png.767238d226a726b7a4ca5e75ff6ff468.png

So this is Prism?

1 hour ago, dcluley98 said:

This is "Phase I" and there are significant additions for the next phase and final build-out that are not shown on the rendering. Buildings shown north of the Student Housing are not the latest renderings from the architect. Look upthread for the "Prism" rendering IAF posted upthread here: 

Of course that is still a conceptual rendering as well, and we may get a lesser version when it is actually constructed.

I quite like the Academic Commons building design and how it lines up to the central park area. It is a decent start to the project along with the student housing. Hopefully as the snowball gets going larger projects and more mixed use and corporate/design oriented buildings can happen. 

Is that the rendering you were referring to?

Yes, that is the most recent rendering for Prism from Baker Barrios. (obviously could change or get VE-d).  If you click on the little arrow in the top right of the linked comment I posted, it will take you right to the actual post in a new pop-up tab. 

Also, Alex is the one that made the interactive google map (which is awesome btw, hope we get some new project announcements for you to update it soon Alex). It can be found on the same page 29 of this thread a little further down linked in Alex's post. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Yes, that is the most recent rendering for Prism from Baker Barrios. (obviously could change or get VE-d).  If you click on the little arrow in the top right of the linked comment I posted, it will take you right to the actual post in a new pop-up tab. 

Also, Alex is the one that made the interactive google map (which is awesome btw, hope we get some new project announcements for you to update it soon Alex). It can be found on the same page 29 of this thread a little further down linked in Alex's post. 

Thanks! Map lives here. Like I said before, it's not perfect, but the shapes link to the renderings and articles with more information. (You might have to uncheck the transportation layer to hide the Lymmo route if you want to select the shapes inside it.)

Looking forward to adding new projects ;-)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, orange87 said:

Taking into account everything that's being built in Creative Village, what is/will be the tallest building in downtown west of I-4?

I think the building currently u/c at the UCF campus.  I do not think the Magic will ever get a hotel off the ground or the apartment tower they pseudo-proposed.  If they do, then the apartment tower they proposed (somewhere on these boards) should be the tallest west of I-4.

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Let's move it to Parramore - there hasn't been any citrus to look at since the freezes in the '80's.

To be fair Claremont is pretty proud of the Citrus tower, but I know of a city that has a low budget clone of it (Lake Placid) that we could move over to Parramore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, codypet said:

To be fair Claremont is pretty proud of the Citrus tower, but I know of a city that has a low budget clone of it (Lake Placid) that we could move over to Parramore.

We could borrow the crawler from NASA...

396121main_sts1-lg.jpg

Run it right up Hwy 27 to I-4 eastbound.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JFW657 said:

We could borrow the crawler from NASA...

396121main_sts1-lg.jpg

Run it right up Hwy 27 to I-4 eastbound.

We'd age like wine by the time that Jawa Sandcrawler got here! (BTW, that's the first shuttle flight (white external fuel tank)

curious...what would the weight of that thing do to a highway?  I think that crawler and some excavation rigs are the largest land vehicles ever built.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

We'd age like wine by the time that Jawa Sandcrawler got here! (BTW, that's the first shuttle flight (white external fuel tank)

curious...what would the weight of that thing do to a highway?  I think that crawler and some excavation rigs are the largest land vehicles ever built.

Yeah, I remembered the white tank. I watched the first one go up from a fire observation tower a little west of US-1. A guy my roommate knew worked for the forestry service and let a group of us up there. April 1981 as I recall. Actually, I think the first two or possibly three were white as well, so the one in the pic might not be #1.

But yeah, not only would the weight destroy any road  it travelled on, but it's probably too wide even for a divided four lane highway.

But then, we're just being facetious here anyway.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jrs2 said:

All I'm thinking of is all the mast arms and power lines getting knocked out as its being brought over.

• Haha 2

What's odd is, although people act like there is nothing over there, there are (or were) actually two high-rise hotels, a performing arts center, a gym and tennis stadium, two arenas, a charter school and Head Start facility, a vo-tech school, a law school, two tall state office buildings, two federal courthouses, a municipal justice building, a multi-story office/apartment building (which briefly housed one of our Fortune 500 corporate headquarters), a number of churches large and small and what could be a Little Five Points or Sweet Auburn shopping area (I'll throw in some Atlanta for Uprise <g>). Oh, and now a soccer stadium.

All of this within a block or two of I4.

Nevertheless, all those various elements have never worked together to make anyone get out and stroll. Instead, it's hop in your car, park, do your business, get back in your car, hop on I4 and leave.

Unless Creative Village is able to change that reality, I'm skeptical if it will work. And just having students in classes is not a guarantee. UCF spent its first 40 years as a barren landscape that looked like an alien set from Star Trek:TOS before it became the type of place one wanted to linger.

Watching Eola and Thornton Park come to life with people walking around (I walked to Goodyear at Colonial Plaza to pick up my car a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday and was amazed by the number of pedestrians along E. Washington St. - that never happened in the 80s and 90s), I know it can happen. But the teeming life east of the lake was organic - the big projects of Parramore have been Portmanesque isolators that are the opposite of community.

I look forward to seeing if we can thread the needle but I am unconvinced Buddy's strengths are the ones to do it with.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

What's odd is, although people act like there is nothing over there, there are (or were) actually two high-rise hotels, a performing arts center, a gym and tennis stadium, two arenas, a charter school and Head Start facility, a couple-tech school, a law school, two tall state office buildings, two federal courthouses, a municipal justice building, a multi-story office/apartment building (which briefly housed one of our Fortune 500 corporate headquarters), a number of churches large and small and what could be a Little Five Points shopping area (I'll throw in some Atlanta for Uprise <g>). Oh, and now a soccer stadium.

All of this within a block or two of I4.

Nevertheless, all those various elements have never worked together to make anyone get out and stroll. Instead, it's hop in your car, park, do your business, get back in your car, hop on I4 and leave.

Unless Creative Village is able to change that reality, I'm skeptical if it will work. And just having students in classes is not a guarantee. UCF spent its first 40 years as a barren landscape that looked like an alien set from Star Trek:TOS before it began the type of place one wanted to linger.

Watching Eola and Thornton Park come to life with people walking around (I walked to Goodyear at Colonial Plaza to pick up my car a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday and was amazed by the number of pedestrians along E. Washington St. - that never happened in the 80s and 90s), I know it can happen. But the teeming life east of the lake was organic - the big projects of Parramore have been Portmanesque isolators that are the opposite of community.

I look forward to seeing if we can thread the needle but I am unconvinced Buddy's strengths are the ones to do it.

And yet, Buddy was the Mayor who petitioned for a more urban arena and performing arts center during his tenure..I think the will is there.

So many of those institutions you describe were built in the 80s-90s and quite frankly it wasn’t until Robert Davis introduced Seaside that new urbanism and eventually real urbanism became popular again. Show me a federal courthouse anywhere in the country that isn’t a black hole for urbanity.

Even still, there is some organic development occurring in Parramore, albeit at a sluggish pace (for instance, Stonewall bar is a hit and even expanded recently).

I’m certainly encouraged to see that CV is at least repairing the streetgrid and they are building actual vertical housing - this will necessitate the need for at least basic services in the vicinity, and since most college students aren’t spending their own money, the businesses usually come.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

And yet, Buddy was the Mayor who petitioned for a more urban arena and performing arts center during his tenure..I think the will is there.

So many of those institutions you describe were built in the 80s-90s and quite frankly it wasn’t until Robert Davis introduced Seaside that new urbanism and eventually real urbanism became popular again. Show me a federal courthouse anywhere in the country that isn’t a black hole for urbanity.

Even still, there is some organic development occurring in Parramore, albeit at a sluggish pace (for instance, Stonewall bar is a hit and even expanded recently).

I’m certainly encouraged to see that CV is at least repairing the streetgrid and they are building actual vertical housing - this will necessitate the need for at least basic services in the vicinity, and since most college students aren’t spending their own money, the businesses usually come.

Don't get me wrong - Buddy has accomplished some amazing things in his tenure (starting with the venues.) And you're correct that he did what Mayor Bill specifically failed at in connecting the Am back to downtown. For all those things and, despite his WASPy bubba background (Ivy League and FL Law and yet a good ol' boy from Kissimmee!) , his fully embracing diversity, he'll long be remembered as one of our top two or three mayors.

At the same time, when it comes to the nitty-gritty of neighborhoods, it's never seemed to be his thing. It's kind of surprising given what seems to be his real affinity for College Park. Every politician can't be good at everything (Glenda often was accused of being so into preserving neighborhoods that downtown seemed to stall at the time.) 

But if Creative Village is to be more than the sum of its parts and thrive, someone's going to need to get down in the weeds to build a community and not just a bunch of buildings. If Buddy chooses to stay (he's already Orlando's longest-serving mayor), that work will need to be done by a city commissioner who relishes the role or, maybe someone at UCF might do it. Here's hoping.

I think you're right about most federal courthouses in the larger cities. I'm probably guilty of remembering a very different time when Orlando's was on Robinson St. along with the post office and it was the type of place someone like Matlock would have fit right in.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1