Creative Village

sunshine

5 hours ago, bqknight said:

I for one like the choice of architecture for the UCF buildings. You can tell they are academic or government in nature but still have modern touches. I think this type of architecture is more timeless. I love the look of DC. 

Couldn’t agree more - the classicism of Stern’s design should help to create that sense that “you are here”. 

The current trend of everything blending in doesn’t really bode well to university architecture.

There was an article today in the obj regarding Mill Creek (Modera etc.).  The details of the article were behind a paywall, but it basically said Mill Creek was eyeing a third location in Orlando after they finished the CV project.  Does anyone with a subscription know if they mentioned a location or other details?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cwetteland said:

There was an article today in the obj regarding Mill Creek (Modera etc.).  The details of the article were behind a paywall, but it basically said Mill Creek was eyeing a third location in Orlando after they finished the CV project.  Does anyone with a subscription know if they mentioned a location or other details?

It basically says Mill Creek wnts a 3rd tower around downtown somwhere by 2021.

It says that it's creative village project will cost $60 million and wont be as tall as the 22 story library project.

Doesnt mention a precise location .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, gibby said:

They looked at Constitution Green a few years ago.  Maybe they're still interested in that area.

There's the lot on South Street and Liberty Ave. I believe something called "The Monarch" was meant to go there. There is still a leasing trailer that has always just sat there. 

Who even owns that land?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bqknight said:

There's the lot on South Street and Liberty Ave. I believe something called "The Monarch" was meant to go there. There is still a leasing trailer that has always just sat there. 

Who even owns that land?

It was the Central Church of the Nazarene. Their sanctuary was razed to build The Monarch and the congregation moved to the 'burbs, I think.

Since they tore down the building, I'm guessing the church got their money and I don't know if the developer ended up with the land or if went back to the lender. I suppose whoever ended up with it could have resold it but, if so, it seems like the trailer would have gone away. Oh well, one of our intrepid posters can always look online.

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Some video from WFTV of the emerging downtown campus and, since this is TV news "if it bleeds, it leads"), they threw in concerns about security, too.

http://amp.wftv.com/news/local/downtown-ucf-campus-on-schedule-to-open-in-august/846163730

Terribly lopsided reporting. No wonder most people never step foot across I-4. They could have used at least half of that segment to discuss the benefits of downtown campuses across the nation and how they impact economic growth.

• Like 2

*ponders if any one city has had so many things named after the same person*

I know there are a few things in Detroit, for example, named for the Ford family, but Dr. Phillips is giving the Fords a run for their money.

It's safe to say almost everyone knows who the Fords are while almost no one is really familiar with Dr. Phillips, even in Orlando (and I say that as an Orlando history buff...)

8 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

*ponders if any one city has had so many things named after the same person*

I know there are a few things in Detroit, for example, named for the Ford family, but Dr. Phillips is giving the Fords a run for their money.

It's safe to say almost everyone knows who the Fords are while almost no one is really familiar with Dr. Phillips, even in Orlando (and I say that as an Orlando history buff...)

Most people that I know know who Dr. Phillip Phillips was.   I think his name stands out because other than Rosen Orlando doesn't have a lot of big and noticeable philanthropists.

I'm not from this part of the world, but I've lived here quite a while.

I have no idea who Dr. Phillips was.  I know context clues from things I've heard and read, but I don't know what race he was (timing in history and locale means he was probably white, but who knows?) or what sort of doctor he was or why he has so many things named after him.  I guess on the last one, other than because he was apparently very rich.

So Ustler unveiled his great park for CV this morning on Growth spotter. Meh...its ok. in contrast from his initial renderings...it has turned into something very underwhelming. Disappointed in Ustler. He has turned into a typical cheap ass developer.

You cant show people modern, edgy, "creative" renderings and then deliver this.  If this was your plan from the beginning...own it. The park is ok, but that's it. Nothing is really "creative" about it. I wish one day a developer would have the money and the balls to push through something that pushes the envelope, something that makes a statement and becomes iconic for Orlando. I had hopes for CV that this would be it. Initial renderings looked modern, even slightly futuristic. This looks like anywhere USA from the mid 90's. 

...and in regards to the "LOVE"sculpture (I know its a placeholder image)...dear god ...NO. if I want to take a picture of that I go to Philly. At least make it a creative sculpture of the letters ORL or something Orlando. Something people will actually that they were in Orlando visiting when they look back at the picture.

End of rant...Lol 

Edited by orlandouprise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Dr Phillips is worth knowing about.

http://www.drphillips.org/about-us/our-history

I'm definitely not disputing that. Heck, just the gossip value alone regarding various family scandals is worth the price of admission. It's just that we seem to have reached saturation with all the things named after him (and, given that he died in 1959, could barely have even imagined some of it.) Obviously the foundation has done its   job, but the Phillips family is hardly the only noteworthy name in local history.

As to mentioning how many folks know who he was, there have been various articles and clips over the years in local media asking folks who he was and most people really didn't know. Hardly surprising since much has changed in the 60 years since he died (and the citrus industry locally has all but disappeared).

For now, in his honor, let's all croon like Bing Crosby: "...Can't get enough of that Minute Maid, Minute Maid..." And, perhaps a more boisterous look at the family's history than the one above:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1987-10-25/news/0150390092_1_orlando-library-family-history-sons

From the Sentinel

One of the things that drives me crazy about the Dr. Phillips Foundation (which undoubtedly has done much for the community) - its oftentimes fusty outlook on social issues in a community that has come to be a beacon of diversity. This is an organization that tried to keep the Orlando Gay Chorus out of United Arts even as Doc Phillips' older son Howard was gay (if closeted.) 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

You cant show people modern, edgy, "creative" renderings and then deliver this.  If this was your plan from the beginning...own it. The park is ok, but that's it. Nothing is really "creative" about it. I wish one day a developer would have the money and the balls to push through something that pushes the envelope, something that makes a statement and becomes iconic for Orlando. I had hopes for CV that this would be it. Initial renderings looked modern, even slightly futuristic. This looks like anywhere USA from the mid 90's.

I opined the very same thing earlier in this thread and was "gently reminded" that those early renderings were just preliminary designs not meant to be taken seriously.

Fine. But that doesn't make the somewhat more bland, pedestrian, run-of-the-mill looking end product we're getting any more exciting.

CV's design isn't ugly or cheesy looking by any stretch of the imagination, but it also doesn't seem to reflect a great deal of imagination either.

3 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

So Ustler unveiled his great park for CV this morning on Growth spotter. Meh...its ok. in contrast from his initial renderings...it has turned into something very underwhelming. Disappointed in Ustler. He has turned into a typical cheap ass developer.

...and in regards to the "LOVE"sculpture (I know its a placeholder image)...dear god ...NO. if I want to take a picture of that I go to Philly. At least make it a creative sculpture of the letters ORL or something Orlando. Something people will actually that they were in Orlando visiting when they look back at the picture.

End of rant...Lol 

I agree it is pretty meh.  A few points

• Why are they rebuilding Terry Ave as a plaza?  They just built that street.  Instead, they should move the plaza to the unnamed future street on the east side of the park.
  • It is much flatter than I expected.  Didn't one of the early concepts include much more interesting elevation changes?
  • They better include those stone structures from the round building in one of the art pieces. It'd make a great cool looking canopy feature.  Picture it: Your walking down the sidewalk and one of the stones starts vertical on your right.  As you walk, they begin to rise and change their angle as you pass each one until they're horizontal above you.  Then they continue over the opposite side as the first until again becoming vertical to the ground.
Edited by WAJAS98
grammar
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, WAJAS98 said:

I agree it is pretty meh.  A few points

• Why are they rebuilding Terry Ave as a plaza?  They just built that street.  Instead, they should move the plaza to the unnamed future street on the east side of the park.
  • It is much flatter than I expected.  Didn't one of the early concepts include much more interesting elevation changes?
  • They better include those stone structures from the round building in one of the art pieces. It'd make a great cool looking canopy feature.  Picture it: Your walking down the sidewalk and one of the stones starts vertical on your right.  As you walk, they begin to rise and change their angle as you pass each one until they're horizontal above you.  Then they continue over the opposite side as the first until again becoming vertical to the ground.

HankStrong, are you ready to lead the charge for the brise? Some men are born to greatness, others have greatness thrust upon them!

2 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

HankStrong, are you ready to lead the charge for the brise? Some men are born to greatness, others have greatness thrust upon them!

Hey, hey.... let's have no more of this talk about men and thrusting!!!! :stop:

This is a family friendly forum!!!! :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

By the way, this report confirms that Amelia will not be realigned like originally proposed. I don't know about you guys, but I think this is a small win for the development.  It increases the area of the park at the very least.   Apparently, the stub out on Terry was built under the original plan, but it will be addressed with the construction of Amelia Court and Central Park, which btw needs a different name (It may be confused with the one in Park Ave when discussing things with a regional context).

http://www.cityoforlando.net/economic/wp-content/uploads/sites/25/2018/07/Creative-Village-IMP-Final-to-CVDRC-6-12-18.pdf

• Like 1