Creative Village

sunshine

Either way, I doubt that space will be an issue for a long time.

The UCF Academic Commons main building is actually pretty large when viewed from an angle...

ucf-downtown-rendering-1.jpg

...plus, with the buildings behind it, which could be expanded or demo'd and replaced with larger ones if needed, they should have more than enough space right there to meet their needs for several years. Decades, even.

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 1

One other fun fact: J. C. Penney, the old man himself whose scary visage stares down at you on the escalator at JCP stores, also owned a dairy farm in Florida. 

Penney Farms, in Clay County near Green Cove Springs (home of Mama and Papa Gus), was designed to be a retirement village.

They produced the Foremost milk brand sold throughout Florida. When Mr. Penney died in the mid ‘60’s, the dairy was sold and the new owners had to change the name because the  “Foremost” name was owned by the stores (it was used on their better products before they carried national brands.) After that, the milk was renamed “Farmbest”.

You now know more about Penney’s than you ever wanted to know.

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

One other fun fact: J. C. Penney, the old man himself whose scary visage stares down at you on the escalator at JCP stores, also owned a dairy farm in Florida. 

Penney Farms, in Clay County near Green Cove Springs (home of Mama and Papa Gus), was designed to be a retirement village.

They produced the Foremost milk brand sold throughout Florida. When Mr. Penney died in the mid ‘60’s, the dairy was sold and the new owners had to change the name because the  “Foremost” name was owned by the stores (it was used on their better products before they carried national brands.) After that, the milk was renamed “Farmbest”.

You now know more about Penney’s than you ever wanted to know.

I used to work for JC Penney.

Merritt Square Mall, 1979 - 81.

Package pick up/service repair/Credit/Layaway/gift wrap dept.

DSC_0122.JPG

I worked at a desk in a little office right inside where that closest roll down metal door is now. It used to be a big plate glass window with a single glass door which was the employee entrance/exit. Other than that, it looks exactly like it did in 1979.

Now you know more about my part-time, college retail career than you ever wanted to know.

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
19 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Students and faculty just beginning to recognize their programs go live downtown this August:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/education/os-ne-ucf-downtown-20190412-story,amp.html

From the Sentinel 

The article seems to focus heavily on skepticism that students will want to leave the main campus for downtown. 

City campuses are incredibly popular among the millenial generation — NYU, Boston U, GWU have been getting record applicants from a desire to live in a city atmosphere (and for their academic reputation, of course).. 

It doesn’t surprise me that someone currently settled in at the UCF main campus would not want to move downtown after planting roots. I suspect future applicants will be extremely attracted to the location.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

If they were able to get students to move to south I Drive area, I have a feeling this will go fine.

As mentioned, change is a big part of it and obviously we’ll cycle through that.

There’s also a big-picture issue at play. For the better part of a decade, the overweening idea was that UCF wasn’t a “real” school and just a glorified juco on steroids. There was enough truth to the accusation that everyone from the Board of Trustees on down went to great lengths to prove it wasn’t so. They mostly succeeded

Now, with the downtown campus, students are supposed to just say “Never Mind” to all that stuff about a “true college experience” , at least initially.

Because the Rosen School was so much lower profile (and because the nature of the program is quite career-specific), no one thought much about it.

Similarly, the postgraduate nature of many of the Nona programs didn’t lead many to worry about the lack of a Greek row.

This is a problem that’s imminently fixable (and especially as students find their way around Andy and his crew on the downtown bar scene), but the administration is going to have to be proactive in addressing it.

35 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

... There was enough truth to the accusation that everyone from the Board of Trustees on down went to great lengths to prove it wasn’t so. They mostly succeeded

... I think the BoT and everyone on down went to great lengths to prove it wasn't so, because IT WASN'T SO.

21 minutes ago, cwetteland said:

... I think the BoT and everyone on down went to great lengths to prove it wasn't so, because IT WASN'T SO.

I agree completely. By the time Dick Nunis and company went all in on things, the University was well on its way. 

The pullback from participation with DPAC and building the Bounce House just made clear what was already underway. Perception is often reality, however, so it took a bit.

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

As mentioned, change is a big part of it and obviously we’ll cycle through that.

There’s also a big-picture issue at play. For the better part of a decade, the overweening idea was that UCF wasn’t a “real” school and just a glorified juco on steroids. There was enough truth to the accusation that everyone from the Board of Trustees on down went to great lengths to prove it wasn’t so. They mostly succeeded

Now, with the downtown campus, students are supposed to just say “Never Mind” to all that stuff about a “true college experience” , at least initially.

Because the Rosen School was so much lower profile (and because the nature of the program is quite career-specific), no one thought much about it.

Similarly, the postgraduate nature of many of the Nona programs didn’t lead many to worry about the lack of a Greek row.

This is a problem that’s imminently fixable (and especially as students find their way around Andy and his crew on the downtown bar scene), but the administration is going to have to be proactive in addressing it.

My guess is that for the most part, the main campus will be where primarily, out of area and out of state students live and attend classes, while the downtown campus will probably be comprised mainly of "local" kids who were already long time Central Florida/Orlando area residents, many of whom could jump in their cars and drive across town or to an adjacent county, to visit their parents.

IOW, the kind of "commuter school" kids that the main campus used to serve.

And who's to say a small version of a Greek row won't sprout up near CV? 

It's not like there's no available property in the immediate vicinity...

Screenshot-Capture-2019-04-15-10-52-31-5

Screenshot-Capture-2019-04-15-10-56-35-9

Screenshot-Capture-2019-04-15-10-59-45-3

Nice little street for a few fraternity & sorority houses.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2019 at 2:26 PM, spenser1058 said:

What we can - and can’t- expect to be available for students when UCF/Valencia’s downtown campus opens this summer:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/education/os-ne-ucf-construction-tour-20190426-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Haha, just came here to post the same link.  Great video footage!