Creative Village

sunshine

12 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Looks like the same old gar-bahge to me.

But what about their approach to "design the building "within a single architectural vocabulary" indicative of the Art Moderne movement, which emphasizes strong horizontal lines with a white color palette and minimal use of secondary colors." 

And the use of "Vertical elements are used as punctuation but remain subservient to horizontal elements," Leibmann wrote in his submission. A series of "origami-like" vertical piers that bisect the horizontal balconies provide that punctuation."

Creative Village Development Review Committee member JP Weesner said the unique lattice work and the shadow effect was "by far one of the coolest things I've seen and will create an awesome pedestrian experience,"

So there... I don't see it either, but I guess they do.

Beauty, meet beholder.

I agree with dculey and spenser that opening of additional land allows developers to cost effectively build horizontally, but I disagree this was a breach of a long standing agreement with the black community. The vast majority of this development was the old Amway Center. 

Mayor Frederick was (is) a great guy, but I'm not sure the City feels (or should feel) bound by his handshake agreement from the 1980s.

30 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

But what about their approach to "design the building "within a single architectural vocabulary" indicative of the Art Moderne movement, which emphasizes strong horizontal lines with a white color palette and minimal use of secondary colors." 

And the use of "Vertical elements are used as punctuation but remain subservient to horizontal elements," Leibmann wrote in his submission. A series of "origami-like" vertical piers that bisect the horizontal balconies provide that punctuation."

Creative Village Development Review Committee member JP Weesner said the unique lattice work and the shadow effect was "by far one of the coolest things I've seen and will create an awesome pedestrian experience,"

So there... I don't see it either, but I guess they do.

Beauty, meet beholder.

Sounds like so much happy horse.... droppings, to me.

The building looks virtually indistinguishable from 420 & 520 E. Church, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc....

Blah and bleh.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

I never knew about Grand Central, very interesting. Maybe you could share more stories about Orlando's lgbt scene in the Coffee House in time for pride month?

I added a thread up in the Coffee House as you suggest - great idea! Back when so much of this was happening I was active on the political side and less with the day—to-day activities in the burgeoning gay community.

While I knew and periodically worked with most of those active back then, I was never fabulous enough to be a star player like Billy Manes and David Bain.

During PRIDE week in October, the OC Regional History Center works closely with the community to feature LGBTQ+ exhibits at their museum. Hopefully, that will continue - it’s been a great opportunity for so many to learn about us and also to show inclusion for us in the fabric of the region.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

Yeah, this is pretty much what we said it was going to be when it was announced. A short/wide bland 6-7 story design similar to 520 but with Mill Creek type design finishes similar to Modera.  Exactly what I expected and also when I said it will be next to break ground after Radius.

Pretty much a given with the footprint of that lot and the developer behind it that it would look about exactly like this. I think we also said that it isn't necessarily BAD for the area, as it fills in an empty lot, provides affordable housing for the CV, and creates a sense of place around the central park/commons area for Creative Village, giving it more of a real "campus" feel. 

As for the design itself, it is as bland as I expected but does have a few minor details, such as the decorative columns that extend through balconies, and some of the recessed/blue vertical areas are angled in to create some visual appeal with the nook they create. Additionally, I like that it has an arcade type feature for the ground floor retail/sidewalk area and real deciduous trees.  That is actually a big plus for pedestrians that should not be overlooked, especially given that this should be built for more of a walking oriented area with it's location in CV and adjacency to the central park/commons space.   

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Yeah, this is pretty much what we said it was going to be when it was announced. A short/wide bland 6-7 story design similar to 520 but with Mill Creek type design finishes similar to Modera.  Exactly what I expected and also when I said it will be next to break ground after Radius.

Pretty much a given with the footprint of that lot and the developer behind it that it would look about exactly like this. I think we also said that it isn't necessarily BAD for the area, as it fills in an empty lot, provides affordable housing for the CV, and creates a sense of place around the central park/commons area for Creative Village, giving it more of a real "campus" feel. 

As for the design itself, it is as bland as I expected but does have a few minor details, such as the decorative columns that extend through balconies, and some of the recessed/blue vertical areas are angled in to create some visual appeal with the nook they create. Additionally, I like that it has an arcade type feature for the ground floor retail/sidewalk area and real deciduous trees.  That is actually a big plus for pedestrians that should not be overlooked, especially given that this should be built for more of a walking oriented area with it's location in CV and adjacency to the central park/commons space.   

I also appreciate that the parking deck looks to be covered from three sides, which in my opinion provides a tremendous amount of polish to any project. 

2 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

shoebox.jpg

• Like 1

The architect for the UnionWest building is visionary and to be admired. 

Fantastic design and ground-floor planning with growth to be predicted as well as she/he could. 

This should win awards. 

It is amazing and should be lauded! 

Edited by dcluley98

I am absolutely more than fine with how this development looks. Am I thrilled, no. But it more than meets my pretty low expectations. Let's remember the primary use for what is being built is classes and dormitories using government money by way of some private market. In that regard it looks fine. Also, this is not CBD, nor is it a focal point of downtown- can it even be seen from I-4 as visitors pass by. I also think this is not the final outcome for the area- or at least hopefully. This is the UCF/ State College portion of what is hoped to be something bigger. Will bigger come to pass... dunno. But even if not, this is a tremendous addition to a blighted area that seemed to have no other purpose in the foreseeable future.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 4:49 PM, JFW657 said:

Nothing particularly "creative" or"village-y" about it

I agree on the creative issue, but disagree on the village issue. Maybe a matter of expectations, but given a few thousand young people and places to hang out, I think they'll make their village into what works for them.

Btw, this is the new Amazon building for Crystal City, VA. They have more money than all of our various Gods and they chose to build this... color me bland beige.

https://dc.curbed.com/2019/5/16/18628100/amazons-hq2-crystal-city-national-landing-plans

AmazonVA.png

• Like 1