Creative Village

sunshine

Well, it's kind of a catch 22, because high margin retail is about the only thing that would work, but nobody wants to be the first to do it because they want a massing of stores around each other to create more traffic. The rent is "too damn high" for low margin retail to consistently work (that's why you see so much turnover in some restaurant spaces). More critical mass together and consistent traffic draws are the only thing that will make this happen eventually. The Livingston corridor would be a prime candidate for some real retail on the groundfloor instead of restaurants, given the projects proposed there and the proximity to CV and Lynx Central. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jvest55 said:

it would be nice to figure out the exact number between both colleges, regarding how many students will actually live in downtown.

I know this is not just students, but Ustler estimates we have added 5-6,000 new residents downtown in this current building cycle. The downtown population is expected to grow by over 10% in the next few years.

A while back another poster added all the beds going into CV. I don't remember the number, but if you tally them up that should give you the added student count- plus all of those that will rent in other places downtown. 

5 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

DTO is immensely popular with millennial singles

Bloomberg has a story today about educated millennials (college grads 25-34) in various cities. From '05 to '17 Orlando has seen an increase of 5.3% to make up 11.9% of the downtown population.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-05-22/educated-millennials-are-a-good-problem-for-u-s-cities?srnd=premium

I'd love to join the downtown retail conversation, but maybe we can take it to the "waiting for Godot... er Downtown retail" in the "coffeehouse"

Edited by AmIReal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, prahaboheme said:

I wouldn’t underestimate the economic value of having 8000 students suddenly converge on downtown Orlando. It’s not going to result in a larger bar scene (how much larger can it really get?). That student density may actually bring in the desired retail (ie an urban Target) that everyone desires. 

Exactly. This was my original point a page or so back - student density will be a major catalyst in bringing things to CV that potentially benefit the broader downtown population, and CV can easily  become a destination neighborhood. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Well, it's kind of a catch 22, because high margin retail is about the only thing that would work, but nobody wants to be the first to do it because they want a massing of stores around each other to create more traffic. The rent is "too damn high" for low margin retail to consistently work (that's why you see so much turnover in some restaurant spaces). More critical mass together and consistent traffic draws are the only thing that will make this happen eventually. The Livingston corridor would be a prime candidate for some real retail on the groundfloor instead of restaurants, given the projects proposed there and the proximity to CV and Lynx Central. 

Yes, that's a problem for sure.

2 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I'm going to upload these shots hearing the Creator village because I was taking some shots some wide-angle shots of the village itself hope you guys like them.

Wait a minute.... has some new religious theme park thing opened that I haven't heard about??? ;)

326700-Viator-Trip-Advisor-UGC-171333.jp

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We were talking about how long The Creative Village name would live. Driving down Hughey  last week I noticed a very faded “Centroplex” banner on the old SAK parking garage.

I wondered how many people seeing it every day have a clue what it means.

Of course, I’m really odd. While looking at it, I had a flashback to when it was the old Greyhound station with the big sign on Amelia for the Post House Cafeteria (trust me, Morrison’s had nothing to fear from the Post House).

Edited by spenser1058

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

We were talking about how long The Creative Village name would live. Driving down Highway last week I noticed a very faded “Centroplex” banner on the old SAK parking garage.

Of course, I’m really odd. While looking at it, I had a flashback to when it was the old Greyhound station with the big sign on Amelia for the Post House Cafeteria (trust me, Morrison’s had nothing to fear from the Post House).

I remember that old bus station. Back in the 80's a friend and I either picked someone up or dropped someone off there. Either way, we had to hang around inside for awhile.

Dingy best described it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

We were talking about how long The Creative Village name would live. Driving down Hughey  last week I noticed a very faded “Centroplex” banner on the old SAK parking garage.

Everytime I drive down Hughey and see that I smile.  For as awful as an urban idea it was, I loved the name Centroplex.  Also, I have a soft spot in my heart for the old arena.  

• Like 2

Here’s what we need at UCF/Valencia Downtown (no mo’ CV for me):
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2019/05/28/targets-new-cash-cow-retailer-bringing-small-store.amp.html
From Austin Business Journal 

How about West Quarter? Or even better, Arden Park? (From the Forest of Arden where Shakespeare’s As You Like It” is set, and Orlando and Rosalind are characters whom are alleged namesakes for the city and an important downtown avenue).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

After all, Buddy Ebsen was raised on Hyer St....

Yep.

A late friend of mine lived across Hyer from there at the corner of Pine for around 10 years. When they started doing the renovation on the place in the early 00's, one of the first things they did was to pull off all the siding that had been installed over the original exterior.

Upon close inspection, you could see the imprint of where the original lettering, possibly dating back to Buddy's youth, had been nailed on to the front. 

So just for shizits 'n giggles, I snapped a coupla pics of it.

ebsenhouse01.jpg

ebsenhouse02.jpg

• Like 4