Creative Village

sunshine

22 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

They're doing a tour of the UCF/VD campus on Central Florida Spotlight on channel 9 right now, if anyone's innarrested.

Watching now. Not impressed with the build . The ideas re fantastic and I think this 'Creative Village' will be a game changer. 
I wish they would build a real campus and not just two buildings. Maybe I'm over thinking it but Orlando's 'Build Small' attitude is just annoying to me. 

But overall I really enjoy watching this come together. I hope it pans out in the long run. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

One thing's for certain... there will be a lot of state of the art amenities for the precious little learners.

From that 8th floor common study/hang out area on the SE corner of UW, is one if the best DTO skyline views I've ever seen.

Facts. Who knew keeping the skyline on one side of the highway for 30 years would create those bretahtaking views! 
Can't wait until we get a 700 fter or two. 

What’s of interest to me from this list of 2017 downtown populations (because different metrics are used it is not completely apples to apples; however, for the second tier cities I’m familiar with, most of the numbers jive with what I ‘d expect) is that even with our squatty midrises and close-in single family residences, our downtown is doing a good job of attracting residents.

If the goal is tall for the sake of tall, we’re a fail; otoh, if the goal is people living downtown, we’re succeeding.

https://iamemenhiser.com/2017/01/08/downtown-residential-population-by-city/amp/

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jgardnerucf said:

Pics or it doesn't count.

(At beach checking in on UP to make sure y'alls is behaving.) :-)

I’m not sure what to show you a pic of on my post. If you’re at NSB, hope you’re stopping in at the Breakers for a frosted mug of beer and a blue cheese burger!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

What’s of interest to me from this list of 2017 downtown populations (because different metrics are used it is not completely apples to apples; however, for the second tier cities I’m familiar with, most of the numbers jive with what I ‘d expect) is that even with our squatty midrises and close-in single family residences, our downtown is doing a good job of attracting residents.

If the goal is tall for the sake of tall, we’re a fail; otoh, if the goal is people living downtown, we’re succeeding.

https://iamemenhiser.com/2017/01/08/downtown-residential-population-by-city/amp/

Interesting.  I Wonder how many more people will be in downtown Orlando within next 5 years

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Interesting.  I Wonder how many more people will be in downtown Orlando within next 5 years

My guess is at least a few thousand more depending on the economy and how many students decide to live at UCF/VD instead of commuting.

520 and Parramore Oaks will also be filling up (I was amazed by how PO impacts that stretch of Parramore - it’s gonna have its own street wall!)

The Sentinel redo has been moving in slo-mo. I wonder if will finally move forward and then there’s Radius, Golden Sparrow and whatever Radisson Blu is called now.

Downtown may not be going hardcore vertical but we are definitely filling up empty space a bit at a time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

My guess is at least a few thousand more depending on the economy and how many students decide to live at UCF/VD instead of commuting.

520 and Parramore Oaks will also be filling up (I was amazed by how PO impacts that stretch of Parramore - it’s gonna have its own street wall!)

The Sentinel redo has been moving in slo-mo. I wonder if will finally move forward and then there’s Radius, Golden Sparrow and whatever Radisson Blu is called now.

Downtown may not be going hardcore vertical but we are definitely filling up empty space a bit at a time.

However we can get people in downtown, I'm for it. I love Vertical construction. It's fun. But it'll come when it needs too. 
West side of downtown needs an identity. It's Parramore yes but it needs a bit more cohesiveness IMO. It's getting that slowly. 
As Much as a despise Mayor Dyer, I do like the plans for downtown.

I must add. From wathing Dyer run in 2004, I remember most of his focus being on downtown and making downtown more liveable. He's done that. The only thing we didnt get out of all of his desires is transit and baseball. But other than that downtown is definitely where people want to be and will continue to be so. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

However we can get people in downtown, I'm for it. I love Vertical construction. It's fun. But it'll come when it needs too. 
West side of downtown needs an identity. It's Parramore yes but it needs a bit more cohesiveness IMO. It's getting that slowly. 
As Much as a despise Mayor Dyer, I do like the plans for downtown.

Buddy has never been about the vision thing - he just likes the big projects. It’s a bit of a shame that, unlike Tampa, for example, we seem unable to get the interest in local races to debate that kind of thing.

We’ve had varying degrees of corporatism controlling city hall for decades now and while it’s worked, it’s been kind of soulless. There are definitely other ways to run a city that are worth a try.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Buddy has never been about the vision thing - he just likes the big projects. It’s a bit of a shame that, unlike Tampa, for example, we seem unable to get the interest in local races to debate that kind of thing.

We’ve had varying degrees of corporatism controlling city hall for decades now and while it’s worked, it’s been kind of soulless. There are definitely other ways to run a city that are worth a try.

Maybe so. But downtown wise Orlando is doing something right.  Not that Tampa isn't but much like St. Petersburg and Ft. Lauderdale, adding residents isn't a problem in Orlando.
Get the school opening and watch the economics change for all neighborhoods downtown especially with the connectivity of Lymmo and Sunrail (Sorry Lynx)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Watching now. Not impressed with the build . The ideas re fantastic and I think this 'Creative Village' will be a game changer. 
I wish they would build a real campus and not just two buildings. Maybe I'm over thinking it but Orlando's 'Build Small' attitude is just annoying to me. 

But overall I really enjoy watching this come together. I hope it pans out in the long run. 

Keep in mind, the UCF Emerging Media Center is being renovated as well. It will include additional classroom space. Plus the garage and bookstore in the garage, you have a campus with 4 buildings to start. Seems solid to me.

• Like 2

UCF/VD has way more than 2 buildings. Unless you are just talking about the ones associated with the schools. Then I think it is 4. The new Dr. Phillips Academic Commons, the Center for Emerging Media (renovated),  the Student Housing Building (which includes some academic learning space and retail), the currently under construction parking garage and Campus Store/Bookstore which also has some campus services and storage space. 

Add to that the central park/courtyard, and the other "private" developments around it for additional market-rate apartments/GF retail at Parcel M and Parcel U, as well as the other apartments on Parramore and you have what shapes up to be a pretty decent little campus for the initial phase. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

UCF is soliciting artists for a mural that needs approval from the city of Orlando - safe to say downtown (although technically could be Lake Nona)

We laugh about moving things out of downtown but it’s not unheard of. Seminole County moved most of the county government away from downtown and to the very edge of Sanford.

Most of Brevard County government moved from Titusville to Viera.

In the early ‘80’s, OC was just a meeting or two away from moving county government out to 33rd Street (where the jail is). That was the genesis of Downtown Orange County.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, spenser1058 said:

We laugh about moving things out of downtown but it’s not unheard of. Seminole County moved most of the county government away from downtown and to the very edge of Sanford.

In the early ‘80’s, OC was just a meeting or two away from moving county government out to 33rd Street (where the jail is). That was the genesis of Downtown Orange County.

Public works is on 33rd as well as a number of County Functions.  Orange County Utilities is out on Econ.  It's not outside the realm of possibility.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I attended the ground breaking ceremony for the current OC Admin building on Rosalind.

They had a helium filled balloon on a string to represent the finished height.

No free food, though. :(

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JFW657 said:

I attended the ground breaking ceremony for the current OC Admin building on Rosalind.

They had a helium filled balloon on a string to represent the finished height.

No free food, though. :(

But hey, back then you could have just run to the Winn-Dixie on Rosalind!