Creative Village

sunshine

14 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Looking at the aerials makes me wonder why they did not choose to create outdoor roof terraces on the main academic building.  That would have been a nice "green" alternative in CV which really lacks green space.

would have made a cool soccer field like the one at Brickell City Centre!

• Like 1

On 7/24/2019 at 11:32 AM, spenser1058 said:

Orlando Weekly asks a pertinent question: when UCF/VD opens a month from today, will the campus be ready for students?

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/more-than-7000-ucf-students-will-descend-on-downtown-orlando-in-a-month-are-we-ready/Content?oid=25698027&media=AMP+HTML

An interesting stat: the model for UCF/VD, ASU’s downtown campus in Phoenix, started off with just 3000 students in 2006 but is now up to 12000. What kind of growth should we anticipate?

Also of note: DDB’s Thomas Chatmon talks about the elephant in the neighborhood and discusses how 7700 middle-class millennials plus faculty and staff are likely to interact with the Parramore community and how gentrification can be, if not avoided, at least mitigated.

I know. We certainly wouldn't want Parramore to become a safer more desirable place now would we?

2 hours ago, orange87 said:

I know. We certainly wouldn't want Parramore to become a safer more desirable place now would we?

Parramore is plenty safe,  I walk around there all the time to visit the West Art district and Stonewall. Displacing the current black residents and erasing its history would be a horrible loss for Orlando. I would like to see Parramore have increased development and investment, but not at the expense of the current residents.  Any new developments should have affordable housing components set aside for current residents imo.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Naqiy90 said:

Parramore is plenty safe,  I walk around there all the time to visit the West Art district and Stonewall. Displacing the current black residents and erasing its history would be a horrible loss for Orlando. I would like to see Parramore have increased development and investment, but not at the expense of the current residents.  Any new developments should have affordable housing components set aside for current residents imo.

Really? There's a picture on Google Maps of an entire street a block from Parramore defaced from top to bottom with gang graffiti. Literally all over the road, sidewalk and on houses and light posts and signs.

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Good find, the city can call it whatever it wants, "Creative Village" is still Parramore and the surrounding area has not changed. I am sure the parents of these kids will tell them don't be so fast to move there. It might take awhile for students to get on board with the idea of living in Parramore, perhaps only after seeing the area's commerce get built up. 

10 hours ago, orange87 said:

Really? There's a picture on Google Maps of an entire street a block from Parramore defaced from top to bottom with gang graffiti. Literally all over the road, sidewalk and on houses and light posts and signs.

Yep. Not safe, not even close. 

Edited by Jvest55

12 hours ago, orange87 said:

Where? I work around that area, at the OCPS District office and I routinely drive around Parramore and haven’t seen this street with all the gang graffiti.

50 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

Where? I work around that area, at the OCPS District office and I routinely drive around Parramore and haven’t seen this street with all the gang graffiti.

Go on Google Maps and look at the cul-de-sac on Beech Avenue. Two streets over (west) from Parramore. Go on street view.

Edited by orange87
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jvest55 said:

Good find, the city can call it whatever it wants, "Creative Village" is still Parramore and the surrounding area has not changed. I am sure the parents of these kids will tell them don't be so fast to move there. It might take awhile for students to get on board with the idea of living in Parramore, perhaps only after seeing the area's commerce get built up. 

Yep. Not safe, not even close. 

That’s what you got out of that article?  It’s not like the biggest zip code is suddenly 32803.   This article just tells me that kids halfway through their degrees living amongst friends and hangouts didn’t pack up and go overnight.   Did anyone really expect them to like some sort of semester abroad program? 

• Like 3

You knew it was coming - the city is adding 200 paid parking spaces to Creative Village. Instead of meters, however, you’ll pay by the ParkMobile app.

https://bungalower.com/2019/08/04/creative-village-adding-meterless-paid-parking-spaces-to-downtown-campus/

From Bungalower 

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

You knew it was coming - the city is adding 200 paid parking spaces to Creative Village. Instead of meters, however, you’ll pay by the ParkMobile app.

https://bungalower.com/2019/08/04/creative-village-adding-meterless-paid-parking-spaces-to-downtown-campus/

From Bungalower 

Sometimes I love the directions City goes but most times I hate it. That app while not hard to use does not make parking any easier and I've tried this on several occasions downtown

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Sometimes I love the directions City goes but most times I hate it. That app while not hard to use does not make parking any easier and I've tried this on several occasions downtown

I think the idea is that it’s cheaper for the city because they don’t have to pay staff to collect change or maintain the meters.  They can invest the money gained into other things instead.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:21 PM, orange87 said:

This is a bit hyperbolic.  I see a ton of stuff in the street, it all appears to be done with the same red paint, in the same handwriting, and likely all done by the same deviant.  Top to bottom is a bit of an exaggeration, it's on a few poles, all over the asphalt, and a mailbox.

It is aging about the same, so it was likely all done about the same time, as well.

The sad part is that it hadn't been removed by the photo.

There is a really good article on OS (I know, I was surprised too) about where CV stands now, how much investment is current, how many people and housing units will be there this year and next year and in a decade. The article also discusses parking, policing (all of which was good to hear) and how they are trying to lure game developers as well as numerous other things of interest.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-orlando-creative-village-plans-20190807-e7zexqy6pnendl7g4evhoavjkm-story.html

I have to run out for an appointment, but I'll post some snippets and summary for those that are blocked when I return. Or if someone else can view it and wants to do the same, please do.

1 hour ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Whats this?

frat housing... I think it was a joke, but maybe not.