Creative Village

sunshine

On 9/13/2019 at 5:53 PM, DreS0803 said:

Great News!!!

Redwood City, California-based video game giant Electronic Arts Inc. — whose Orlando-based EA Tiburon Inc. is the largest video game studio in Florida — is nearing a deal to move from its 128,000-square-foot Maitland office to downtown Orlando's Creative Village, sources told Orlando Business Journal.

The latest OBJ update: EA is looking for approx ~170,000 sq ft and the "potential move to Creative Village may spur construction of a five-story office building." https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2019/09/17/more-details-revealed-for-eas-potential-move-to.html

22 hours ago, AmIReal said:

This is part CV and part Packing District news.

The City owned tennis complex in CV will be relocated to the Packing District- corner OBT and Princeton. The current CV property will be converted to mixed-use residential. No completion date has been set.

https://www.fox35orlando.com/home/city-of-orlando-building-new-tennis-center

I wonder if the City is offering the old tennis complex as a potential site for the new EA campus? Hmmm.

5 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

The latest OBJ update: EA is looking for approx ~170,000 sq ft and the "potential move to Creative Village may spur construction of a five-story office building." https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2019/09/17/more-details-revealed-for-eas-potential-move-to.html

I wonder if the City is offering the old tennis complex as a potential site for the new EA campus? Hmmm.

Could Bob Carr play a role?  Is it being used for anything else?

39 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Instantly disappointed by the height. I know EA coming to CV would be good but I was hoping to at least see an EA sign apart of the CV skyline. Still patiently waiting to see a high rise sign that isn’t a bank.

21 minutes ago, DreS0803 said:

Instantly disappointed by the height. I know EA coming to CV would be good but I was hoping to at least see an EA sign apart of the CV skyline. Still patiently waiting to see a high rise sign that isn’t a bank.

There is a Red Lobster sign (just the lobster, no letters and it’s kinda teeny) on the I4 side of their building.

When I lived in Nashville, it was considered gauche to put your name on the skyscraper. Back then (the ‘80’s) only the L&C tower had their name and it was grandfathered in as an outlier from the late ‘50’s. I wonder if that attitude has changed.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

There is a Red Lobster sign (just the lobster, no letters and it’s kinda teeny) on the I4 side of their building.

off topic ;; when my bf moved to Altamonte Ive been forced to drive all the way there lol, and I never new red lobster nor EA were even anywhere close to Orlando or Altamonte 

but I agree with @DreS0803 that they should be more of a standout in the CV 

• Like 1

Lockheed Martin also uses mid rise buildings. For that matter, imagine how tall the Team Disney building would be if you turned it on its side.

Same with Sea World, which has its HQ here (although apparently a sale is coming so who knows where they’ll end up).

If you think about our Fortune 500 HQ’s past and present (think about Harris, Publix and Hughes Supply), none seemed to be as enamored by tall buildings as those of us at UP are.

8 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

@W7edwin This is probably why you missed it [GMap]. Kinda teeny is being generous lol. Signage zoning in downtown is an absolute joke, it's so restrictive that it becomes a disservice to business owners.

Ridic.thumb.jpg.cbc45c9912769284e682363a83ce7a64.jpg

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

@JFW657 can make his Under I shopping bags, but he better tread lightly if he plans to mess with CV branded items.

https://www.thedailycity.com/post/creative-village-trademark

Well crap.

There go my dreams of starting a costumed singing group called....

898491-download-stock-photos-of-village-

The Creative Village People.

2 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

We can still disseminate UCF/VD, right? 

Not if you're affiliated with the USC Trojans.

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, orlandoguy said:

Yeesh ... who’d want to use that logo?

Agreed. I'm surprised we're still calling it the creative village, but I'm sure in the future it will develop it's own identity and go through a name change a la Mills50 (I liked ViMi better), SoDo (after trying to make "Downtown South" work). I don't recall what the Milk District was being called prior...

• Like 3

I took the long way home from Altamonte yesterday (partially because driving down I-4 with my bike rack on my trunk perpetually terrifies me) and drove through CV for the first time in a while.  I'm in love.  If MEC and DXV take off, there's going to be an entire whole second half of downtown, *largely* with minimal disruption to Parramore (minus that whole cutting the main artery in half for a soccer stadium). 

• Like 1