Creative Village

sunshine

43 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

Luminary Green doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue does it?

Just a few ideas that would flow better: Luminary Lawn, Buddy's Backyard, Craig's Creative Commons, Lake Dot Greens, or College Park Park.

Edited by Jerry95
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, RedStar25 said:

Where dreams come to die?

Creative Village is neither. If only Craig had kept Phil around to make it interesting...

(which brings up another point I overheard at Burton’s last weekend: “Orlando hasn’t been fun since Billy Manes left us.”)

Edited by spenser1058

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Creative Village is neither. If only Craig had kept Phil around to make it interesting...

(which brings up another point I overheard at Burton’s last weekend: “Orlando hasn’t been fun since Billy Manes left us.”)

As Tony Mauss will remind us, be the Billy you want to see in the world. 

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2017/07/23/billy-manes-husband-tony-mauss-wants-orlando-to-honor-him-by-creating-joy

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Just because you call it a name, does not make it so!  

Seriously, what were the chances it truly would be creative or match the original renderings? I am still shocked it got developed. 

29 minutes ago, jack said:

Seriously, what were the chances it truly would be creative or match the original renderings? I am still shocked it got developed. 

You’re right, of course, and it’s part of the knock many of us have made against what downtown has become. When you let the suits take charge and don’t get the grassroots involved, what you end up with is corporate and soulless. 

It’s the shopping mall problem, or, when you add offices, you end up with a downtown that’s more Maitland Center than Plant St. or Woodland Ave. 

Conversely, the opposite end of that is when they turned the historic core over to the “party ‘til you puke” bars. There has to be a balance and right now downtown Orlando ain’t got it.

Edited by spenser1058

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

You’re right, of course, and it’s part of the knock many of us have made against what downtown has become. When you let the suits take charge and don’t get the grassroots involved, what you end up with is corporate and soulless. 

It’s the shopping mall problem, or, when you add offices, you end up with a downtown that’s more Maitland Center than Plant St. or Woodland Ave. 

Conversely, the opposite end of that is when they turned the historic core over to the “party ‘til you puke” bars. There has to be a balance and right now downtown Orlando ain’t got it.

If it happens, it will happen naturally because of some kind of change in demand.

Not because someone forced it to happen. 

4 hours ago, jack said:

I mentioned once or twice how disappointing it was that the place wasn't going to look like those conceptual renderings and was told that it was never realistic to expect it to look like that.

Too bad, because those renderings actually looked like something that lived up to the name. 

I think CV is living up to its name; the name being a marketing tool to bring Creatives to an specialized downtown area where they can live, work, and play. EA alone shows that this vision will succeed. There’s still a lot of development left, not to mention UCF Downtown’s campus maturity, that will allow Creative Village to continue to grow, albeit with a few less sq feet of office and residential space.  

The original vision of the “Creative Village” was a 1000 apartments and 600 beds of student housing alongside a few hundred thousand square feet of office and educational space???  It seems like  the “creative” part is by far the minority of what is actually being constructed. 

On 1/15/2021 at 11:18 PM, Jerry95 said:

I think CV is living up to its name; the name being a marketing tool to bring Creatives to an specialized downtown area where they can live, work, and play. EA alone shows that this vision will succeed. There’s still a lot of development left, not to mention UCF Downtown’s campus maturity, that will allow Creative Village to continue to grow, albeit with a few less sq feet of office and residential space.  

Yup! Still lots of potential!

By my count, there are at least 9 large developable parcels left outside of the UCF footprint.  Or about twice as much left for private development than has already been developed, but it looks like the project is well on its way to meeting these benchmarks.  With the development of public space at the park, getting the apartments at full occupancy and 100% of students in face-to-face classrooms will help.  With COVID, what has been built already has never been at full occupancy at the same time.

On 1/16/2021 at 4:54 PM, Dawn1000 said:

The original vision of the “Creative Village” was a 1000 apartments and 600 beds of student housing alongside a few hundred thousand square feet of office and educational space???  It seems like  the “creative” part is by far the minority of what is actually being constructed. 

Apartments
256  @ Amelia Court
409 @ The Julian
202 @ Modera *coming soon*
= 867 to date.  

Student Housing
640 Beds @ UnionWest

UCF Downtown campus - new buildings, renovated expo center and Flying Horse Editions @ parking garage
VC Downtown - space in UnionWest and Accelerated Skills Training Programs

175,940 square foot regional headquarters for EA

With the relative success of the live/work space at 420 E Church, it will be interesting to see if Amelia Court gets some retail tenants in the same vein.  The units aren't set up quite as well as the Church Street units.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, smileguy said:

Yup! Still lots of potential!

By my count, there are at least 9 large developable parcels left outside of the UCF footprint.  Or about twice as much left for private development than has already been developed, but it looks like the project is well on its way to meeting these benchmarks.  With the development of public space at the park, getting the apartments at full occupancy and 100% of students in face-to-face classrooms will help.  With COVID, what has been built already has never been at full occupancy at the same time.

Apartments
256  @ Amelia Court
409 @ The Julian
202 @ Modera *coming soon*
= 867 to date.  

Student Housing
640 Beds @ UnionWest

UCF Downtown campus - new buildings, renovated expo center and Flying Horse Editions @ parking garage
VC Downtown - space in UnionWest and Accelerated Skills Training Programs

175,940 square foot regional headquarters for EA

With the relative success of the live/work space at 420 E Church, it will be interesting to see if Amelia Court gets some retail tenants in the same vein.  The units aren't set up quite as well as the Church Street units.

One, getting UCF and Valencia was a coup so kudos to everyone involved. That really allowed the project to take off. 

Second, office will be the program that will be no no where close to the original concept. Throw in Covid and it will be dramatically off. 

Regardless, I applaud the City and Ustler for making it happen. Now if they can focus on finishing what they started and getting the dang Magic development off of the ground. Bring in Ustler if they need to. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

Couldn’t EA have at least strived to have an innovative HQ building in CV given they are local? As it stands, I think they come in just under Amelia Court in architectural effort.

At least those geeks can still make good stuff for game addicts.

From everything I’ve read (I think it was @dcluley98 who initially pointed it out to me), of all the gaming companiesEA is perceived as the most corporate. So, this would seem quite appropriate (as would being in Maitland Center the last decade or two).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose this could also go in the Economic Development thread, but we seem to discuss EA Sports here.

EA Sports will revive the college football game and could lead to hundreds of new jobs in the area.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-ea-sports-ncaa-football-20210202-rzj5m6h2cvh3zfgphdprqsw55q-story.html

• Like 4

Apparently, Orlando’s definitely a go for EA Sports’ College Football game, which bodes well for employment at the new facility.

Previously, it had not been confirmed.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-ea-college-football-video-game-20210209-xb2yw5ndqvg5legipg5kofbkpe-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Sent from ProtonMail Mobile
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...