Creative Village

47 minutes ago, bqknight said:

I think it depends on which day you're downtown. A couple of weeks ago I was contemplating coming to the forum to say how nice it is to see people out and about downtown again during the work week. Today, however, was more dead. There's people, don't get me wrong, but not as bustling as I've seen it recently. 

South Eola is usually buzzing with people, no matter what day. There's always people around when you go outside and on the weekend, the crowd really picks up. 

People definitely seem to be moving/living in the apartments around downtown, Camden Thornton Park raised our rent, so we looked elsewhere, but availability is pretty tight and pricing is skyrocketing. 

Yea a lot of my friends who are in there early 20s live in either the Camden's, Citi tower, Modera or 55w. I think most of them really only stay around lake eola/thorton park unless they are going out at night or if they work in CBD. But I think now that radius, MAA Robinson and society are bringing more apartments in northern/central part of downtown there will be more action during the daytime in the CBD. 

And imagine if the Orlando Sentinel site actually sees some 'relatively creative' development. Like a grocery store, park, housing or retail... pretty much anything other than what it is now. That could really help boost the downtown action during the day.

• Like 2

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Per Growthspotter $250 Million Phase Two. Parcel X - 12 Story Class A Office Space with COVID-19 in mind. 185,000 sq ft with 5,000 SQ ft on ground floor retail. Calling it 'Building X' for n

Stumbled on a link of really awesome photos of Creative Village and DT area poking around the CV development site.  Great shots! Click through and enjoy: http://creativevillageorlando.com/downloa

I drove around downtown Orlando yesterday after not being there for several months. As I was driving south on I-4, the first thing that really stood out to me was how west of I-4 felt much more vertic

Posted Images

On 7/16/2021 at 1:20 PM, bqknight said:

I think it depends on which day you're downtown. A couple of weeks ago I was contemplating coming to the forum to say how nice it is to see people out and about downtown again during the work week. Today, however, was more dead. There's people, don't get me wrong, but not as bustling as I've seen it recently. 

South Eola is usually buzzing with people, no matter what day. There's always people around when you go outside and on the weekend, the crowd really picks up. 

People definitely seem to be moving/living in the apartments around downtown, Camden Thornton Park raised our rent, so we looked elsewhere, but availability is pretty tight and pricing is skyrocketing. 

I’m in town this weekend and as has often been the case lately, at 10am there are scads of pedestrians in Thornton Park/ South Eola, lots of cars along most of the grid and Publix at the Paramount is slammed. Of course, the farmers’ market attracts lots of attention but east of Rosalind seems to be the place to wander around downtown these days. 

A few more trees and more diversity in places to go (yes, Virginia, there are too many bars west of Rosalind unless you’re in the party ‘til you puke crowd - it reminds me of when the Brat Pack traded their bar for Bennigan’s at the end of St. Elmo’s Fire because they realized they were growing up) might be just the thing over there.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

On 7/14/2021 at 1:56 PM, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Downtown Tampa is a ghost town. I never thought of Orlando's downtown to be a ghost town in the daytime. interesting perspective. 

Yeah my comment was a bit tongue in cheek, but I wouldn't describe our typical downtown activity as bustling if you know what I mean. "Where are all the people?" is a common remark from visitors expecting more from a downtown core. Sometimes I encounter more homeless people than residents on the street during off peak hours. Before a white knight comes rushing to defend downtown's virtue--we already know weekends/club/event nights are busy, but that's not what I'm talking about. I was hoping we'd experience the Arizona State University effect and have more bodies on the street much sooner after the opening of the Valencia/UCF, but as usual everything in DTO progresses at a snail's pace. Just my perspective as a downtown resident.

I keep hearing Tampa is a ghost town, but Hyde Park/Channelside and Ybor all seemed to have a similar amount of pedestrian activity as our downtown (at least when I visited years ago).

Edited by nite owℓ
8 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Yeah my comment was a bit tongue in cheek, but I wouldn't describe our typical downtown activity as bustling if you know what I mean. "Where are all the people?" is a common remark from visitors expecting more from a downtown core. Sometimes I encounter more homeless people than residents on the street during off peak hours. Before a white knight comes rushing to defend downtown's virtue--we already know weekends/club/event nights are busy, but that's not what I'm talking about. I was hoping we'd experience the Arizona State University effect and have more bodies on the street much sooner after the opening of the Valencia/UCF, but as usual everything in DTO progresses at a snail's pace. Just my perspective as a downtown resident.

I keep hearing Tampa is a ghost town, but Hyde Park/Channelside and Ybor all seemed to have similar pedestrian activity to our downtown (at least when I visited years ago).

I lived in Tampa for 3 years. Actually just went back two weeks ago. Tampa itself is not a ghost town at all. Generally, Ybor has good activity.  SoHo is usually packed with pedestrians. Hyde Park is hit or miss. Channelside is still dead based on what I saw. These areas are not in downtown though. Downtown Tampa was and still is a ghost town. I honestly do think people in that area just go to downtown St. Pete. I always did and ignored downtown Tampa because it’s boring.

If we are comparing the two downtowns, Orlando’s has much more activity on non-event days. 

• Like 3

Despite new developments, Ybor seems to share a similar fate to downtown Orlando in that the nightlife scene really casts a seedy element over the district.  Actually, Ybor seems much worse because the daytime activity really thins out whereas downtown Orlando continues to function in other industries. Generally speaking, downtown Orlando is also much cleaner. I realize I’m not comparing apples to apples. 

Ybor has had so much potential for decades and never seems to get to another level in becoming a truly dynamic neighborhood despite its very strong bones.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, AmIReal said:

I thought I already posted this, but couldn't find it...  The City approved construction of the 3rd affordable housing project in CV. 190 unit directly behind the Julian.

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/orange-county/third-affordable-housing-parcel-approved-orlando/5BTZX5DDIBFKHGN62OX2BEMU4U/

directly behind the Julian- across Amelia next to Amelia Court?  I ask b/c behind the Julian is the parking lot for the tennis courts.

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

directly behind the Julian- across Amelia next to Amelia Court?  I ask b/c behind the Julian is the parking lot for the tennis courts.

That’s what it looks like. Remember that the Tennis Center is due to move up to The Packing District soon. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jerry95 said:

That’s what it looks like. Remember that the Tennis Center is due to move up to The Packing District soon. 

When that happens, an additional 600 beds may be coming behind the current student housing building.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Per Growthspotter

$250 Million Phase Two.

Parcel X - 12 Story Class A Office Space with COVID-19 in mind. 185,000 sq ft with 5,000 SQ ft on ground floor retail. Calling it 'Building X' for now.  50% pre leased . $97 million

Parcel X - Hotel. 10 stories, 180 Keys, 5,000  ft of meeting space $42 million, Marriott brand targeted. A Marriott brand that isn't represented in Central Florida yet apparently.  Would come after office building and apartment tower.

Parcel X-1 - 26 story 324 unit luxury apartment tower totalling 259,000 SQ ft  and 4,000 SQ ft of ground floor retail.  $97 million. 

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

well, I'm impressed... I thought this phase was the end-all final product.  But as it turns out, it was the catalyst for future development.  50% pre-leased is impressive.  Great for Orlando.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Per Growthspotter

$250 Million Phase Two.

Parcel X - 12 Story Class A Office Space with COVID-19 in mind. 185,000 sq ft with 5,000 SQ ft on ground floor retail. Calling it 'Building X' for now.  50% pre leased . $97 million

Parcel X - Hotel. 10 stories, 180 Keys, 5,000  ft of meeting space $42 million, Marriott brand targeted. A Marriott brand that isn't represented in Central Florida yet apparently.  Would come after office building and apartment tower.

Parcel X-1 - 26 story 324 unit luxury apartment tower totalling 259,000 SQ ft  and 4,000 SQ ft of ground floor retail.  $97 million. 

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

So how certain are we that all of this is actually gonna happen and/or not get scaled down? Also, how many stories is the tallest building in Creative Village that's currently built?

Just think how completely transformed and tall/dense West of I-4 would look if this gets built and Orlando Magic Entertainment Complex gets built too?

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, orange87 said:

So how certain are we that all of this is actually gonna happen and/or not get scaled down? Also, how many stories is the tallest building in Creative Village that's currently built?

Just think how completely transformed and tall/dense West of I-4 would look if this gets built and Orlando Magic Entertainment Complex gets built too?

The student housing building. 15 stories and a little over 200 ft? I could be wrong.

And right now in a huge supporter of west if I4 development. 

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

well, I'm impressed... I thought this phase was the end-all final product.  But as it turns out, it was the catalyst for future development.  50% pre-leased is impressive.  Great for Orlando.

There is a phase 3. Well what I'm calling a phase 3. That is when the tennis courts get demolished and we get another similar student housing building and more apartment's behind the current student housing building and The Julian. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Per Growthspotter

$250 Million Phase Two.

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

I just noticed Baker Barrios can't design a building without a visor to save their lives. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1