Creative Village

sunshine

3 hours ago, jrs2 said:

it's just amazing.  The Standard Oil Building/Amoco/Aon Center in Chicago, at 1,136' and 80 stories, cost about $80M to build in 1974, and then cost another $80M to replace the white marble with White Georgia Granite in the Late '80's-Early '90's,.  And now an only 26 story building in Orlando could cost almost $200M to build in 2022.  And it won't even be clad in marble.

That 1974 $80m would be around $443m with inflation (Wikipedia lists construction cost at $120m, or around $665.9 adjusted)

And 1989 cost  would be another $176.4, totaling about $842.3... which is much much more money

• Like 1

The ARB like the overall appearance of the proposed buildings, but does not approve of the treatment of the parking garage. This garage serves both the Modera residential tower and the proposed Moxey Hotel. ARB said the design "fail to meet the standard required for the project to receive the requested density bonus."

The current design uses a metal screen with a geometric pattern, but “Staff strongly feels that the parking garage treatments are inadequate and greatly diminish the quality of the architecture of the buildings they serve,” Forbes wrote. “Significant architectural integration and design enhancements are needed for the street-facing parking garage elevations in Parcels X and Y in order for ARB staff to support approval of the project.”

GS referenced the Jefre' collaboration used on the Lake Nona Town Center as a more desirable approach. 

Developer Craig Ustler agreed that improvements would be made and commented, “This is exactly the type of development that was contemplated for Creative Village in the first place,” he said. “We should be doing backflips if development is this intense, next to transit and in a walkable environment.”

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-cvdrc-20211012-jcxld2k5hjclrbfjk46lc4nb3y-story.html

• Like 2

On 10/12/2021 at 5:24 PM, smileguy said:

That 1974 $80m would be around $443m with inflation (Wikipedia lists construction cost at $120m, or around $665.9 adjusted)

And 1989 cost  would be another $176.4, totaling about $842.3... which is much much more money

my post caused me to look up the cost of Vista Tower, just a few blocks from Aon Center, which opened a year ago, at a height of just under 1,200', and it cost around $800-900M; mixed use...

On 10/13/2021 at 1:46 PM, uncreativeusername said:

Thanks for posting.  Have we seen these renderings yet?  (Can't access the actual article, not sure if they're even included)

Edit:  I answered my own question, although these are terribly low-res. 

(And now I'm laughing to myself at the notion of the Bob Carr getting its own adjacent residential tower before DPAC...all kidding aside, I love the potential of that plaza.)

1.jpg

OJZVOTDNOVB7HKXFASVAOF76FM.jpg

how about making the giant mesh area a giant video board?

Ill be honest,i kinda liked the gold mesh...looks very UCFwith the black  accents of the building

• Like 2

how about making the giant mesh area a giant video board?
Ill be honest,i kinda liked the gold mesh...looks very UCFwith the black  accents of the building
I'd love to see something like these wind turbines wrap the garages. Or digital screens. The Creative Village has a surprisingly little amount of tech. I assume the video screens in the lake have also been canceled.

At least the height of the new buildings will help give that side of I-4 more interest as cars whiz past downtown...

https://www.zmescience.com/ecology/renewable-energy-ecology/mesmerizing-wall-turbines-could-revamp-urban-renewable-energy/amp/

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

11 hours ago, RedStar25 said:

This "Village" certainly"  isn't "Creative. 

It's "creative" in that it stimulates your imagination.

How?

You have to really use it to imagine it being a Creative Village.  

I recall we were bandying about some alternate names.

I think I suggested something along the lines of "Valencia Downtown" aka VD.  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

On this edition of Coffee Talk:

“Creative Village is neither creative nor is it a village.  Discuss.”

I guess my question is, in 4 when there are 6,000 students, 4,000 residents ranging from affordable housing to luxury apartments, 2,000 new employees including at least 800 new tech jobs, a new  business traveler hotel and an active green space constantly hosting events, will everyone still bemoan color palettes and visors?

4 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I guess my question is, in 4 when there are 6,000 students, 4,000 residents ranging from affordable housing to luxury apartments, 2,000 new employees including at least 800 new tech jobs, a new  business traveler hotel and an active green space constantly hosting events, will everyone still bemoan color palettes and visors?

I remember when the Seaport district in Boston was nothing more than a sea of parking lots and a snazzy new contemporary arts museum. It did get a lot of the same criticisms.

I still see the potential of CV — I just really think the moniker should be dropped.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

If they wanted Creative they should have called Phil instead of Craig….had Billy Manes become mayor he’d have known who to call!

Maybe, but since Phil split town and Billy is dead I'm not sure those were great options.

4 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

I still see the potential of CV — I just really think the moniker should be dropped.

I still believe this can be the spark to this community as opposed to viewing it as a community within itself. If the commercial spaces between Colonial to South and I4 to OBY fill in then CV should get the credit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Uncommon said:

Name needs to be changed to The Village; absolutely nothing creative about it so far. Maitland Village would also be a fitting name. Nothing at all wrong with it, but I just don’t think the name suits the area.

OTOH, maybe we should wait to see what kind of activities and atmosphere develop there before we cast final judgement about that.

Maybe in a few years it will actually live up to its name.

Speaking strictly in terms of architecture though, I think that ship has for the most part, sailed.

Hhopefully it's not too late to get a couple of truly interesting and unique looking buildings in there.  

As long as no one with a bulldozer goes rogue, Bob Carr and the Davis Armory give us two interesting buildings at least.

If Carr is going to be used for non-performance functions like meetings and such, I’d love to have the windows on the side restored. I’ve always missed them since the ‘78 redo.

That’s one of my favorite things about FUMCO is that you can actually see out from the sanctuary- to the garden courtyard on one side and to Jackson Street on the other.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1