Creative Village

sunshine

4 hours ago, RedStar25 said:

Let's at least let it get finished before casting doubt. 

It opens in just a few days.

Is it going to drastically change before then?

Are they going to paint that gazebo thing? Put some stone veneer near the base?

Dig up those useless palm trees and put real trees in? The kind that are actually good for something other than decoration?

I'm pretty sure what we're seeing now is what we're going to get. 

10 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Dig up those useless palm trees and put real trees in? The kind that are actually good for something other than decoration?

I think they are rushing to get it open because of all the students that are now there, but according to the OS article this is not the finished product. Re: the trees, I thought it was odd they lined the west sidewalk with palms and the east one with oaks. I don't know if they plan to paint the gazebo thing, but I don't see why they would.

51 minutes ago, codypet said:

I'm not knocking it, I just think we've got enough selfish idiots in this town that it'll get ruined.  Look at the lady at Lake Eola that for years had signs that said don't climb this and everyone did anyway.

The luminaries will look more like those towers per OS.

Also, the "Orlando" sign they showed yesterday is apparently Styrofoam to be replaced with permanent ones later.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-orlando-luminary-green-20220830-yhon67xb45fzlmv7jm5diwql7u-story.html

16 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I think they are rushing to get it open because of all the students that are now there, but according to the OS article this is not the finished product. Re: the trees, I thought it was odd they lined the west sidewalk with palms and the east one with oaks. I don't know if they plan to paint the gazebo thing, but I don't see why they would.

I doubt they'll paint it too, but I wish they would.

I hate white buildings and structures of any kind.

Looks like there will be nothing inviting about this "park".

Bleached out, sun baked patch of grass with sidewalks and a gazebo that looks more like it belongs in South Florida than Central Florida. 

But then again, the entire "village" looks that way, so I guess it all fits.

All Orlando needs to do to find an example of a successful public gathering space is look at Lake Eola — instead they insist on creating spaces like this and Seneff Arts Plaza, where no one will want to gather at most hours of the day. 

The last time Orlando seemed to get it right was Blue Jacket Park, over 20 years ago.

Given the size and scale, this park could have looked like this (with half the budget) in a city with equally sticky summers:

https://dcist.com/story/21/09/24/franklin-park-renovation-homelessness-camping/

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, JFW657 said:

You could read the article.... Just sayin'. ;-)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

All Orlando needs to do to find an example of a successful public gathering space is look at Lake Eola — instead they insist on creating spaces like this and Seneff Arts Plaza, where no one will want to gather at most hours of the day. 

The last time Orlando seemed to get it right was Blue Jacket Park, over 20 years ago.

Given the size and scale, this park could have looked like this (with half the budget) in a city with equally sticky summers:

https://dcist.com/story/21/09/24/franklin-park-renovation-homelessness-camping/

I foresee lots of concerts on this lawn...tailgating, etc...

6 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I doubt they'll paint it too, but I wish they would.

I hate white buildings and structures of any kind.

Looks like there will be nothing inviting about this "park".

Bleached out, sun baked patch of grass with sidewalks and a gazebo that looks more like it belongs in South Florida than Central Florida. 

But then again, the entire "village" looks that way, so I guess it all fits.

see above.  maybe they'll create "demand" by having movies on the park...as well as concerts...

16 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I foresee lots of concerts on this lawn...tailgating, etc...

see above.  maybe they'll create "demand" by having movies on the park...as well as concerts...

I'm sure there'll be demand during special events, most of which will probably take place in the evening.

But during the daytime, especially in summer, the most that "park" will get used for is a shortcut between buildings.

Hard to imagine people actually just hanging out and relaxing there. 

Maybe during the months when it isn't like being under a broiler outside, some might throw down a blanket or a beach towel and try to get a tan, but as for just spending time enjoying the surroundings, I'll have to see it to believe it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jgardnerucf said:

Join the sleeping bums over at Lake Dot!   Fun!   More the merrier!

I am genuinely curious.  They have security there so I suspect they will be moved along from the park, but like the park area next to Crescent Central, the Lake Dot area is a very popular sleep spot for the residentially challenged.

11 minutes ago, codypet said:

I am genuinely curious.  They have security there so I suspect they will be moved along from the park, but like the park area next to Crescent Central, the Lake Dot area is a very popular sleep spot for the residentially challenged.

Generally, those who live on the streets go to some lengths to be where they won’t be hassled. Since CV has not only OPD but, as I understand it, also UCF PD, I wonder if the extra police coverage will lead those folks to another area.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2022 at 10:26 PM, Jernigan said:

Permit Number: MPL2022-10082
Project: Beacon Multifamily
Address: 630 W AMELIA ST Orlando FL
Description: (CVDRC) Master Plan application
for the Beacon housing project at the corner of N.
Parramore Ave. and W. Amelia St.
Application Status: Open

• The Beacon at Creative Village – a seven-story 190-unit mixed-income multifamily development being developed by Banc of America Community Development Corporation in partnership with Atlantic Housing Partners. Ninety-eight percent of the units are expected to be affordable.

affordable housing options in a campus is probably a very good idea

• Like 2

• 3 months later...