Creative Village

sunshine

• 3 weeks later...

5 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Took a stroll through Creative Village yesterday. Nice area, although I would have liked a lot more deciduous trees planted in Luminary Green. It is quite barren and just a giant grass field. (which can be useful for events and sports, but not so much for everyday use and gathering). 

PXL_20230301_170040755.thumb.jpg.eb02865d1952050611c5e1193e459c57.jpg

The entire CV has a barren concrete look right now. I think that as the trees that line the streets start to get bigger over the next decade or so, it will give the area a more inviting feel.  

I wish they'd have put in something other than palms around the green, though.

The north area around the pergola will have shade trees (oak and magnolia). the sidewalk promenade on the edge was Palms. Not ideal IMO, and the rest of the field will not grow in much. 

You can see in my last picture mature oaks along Amelia just east of the Luminary Green and Modera projects. They are fantastic, and I wish that would be continued in the green space of Luminary Green. 

It's not like Orlando doesn't already have a dozen parks / public spaces that are good examples to draw inspiration from when designing a place that people would actually seek out for a stroll (Lake Eola Park, Lake Ivanhoe, Delaney Park, Heritage Square).  All the more reason I view recent efforts like Luminary Green and the DPAC plaza as missed opportunities.  

The new park adjacent to the Wave Hotel in Lake Nona Town Center is a much more climate-appropriate space.  Something like that would have been nice relief from all the CV concrete.

Here is the adjacent Sculpture Garden:  https://www.lakenonawavehotel.com/things-to-do-lake-nona/sculpture-garden  

Who wouldn't rather spend an hour there instead?

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1

I'm not so bothered by the open field--I think space for activities is especially relevant as an element of a college campus--but I agree that the palms are a bummer. There could have been a very nice perimeter of shade with seating as a compromise. Still very pleased with how CV is shaping up on the whole though, and while I agree it feels a little barren, I'm still optimistic for the long term as foliage matures and more plots are developed. 

• Like 2

I can't believe Modera is 7 stories- all wood.  Aren't there forests of trees balling their eyes out because of the loss of their brethren, having been reduced to cheap building exterior and framing structure which should have been all concrete and/or steel? They're crying and so are union workers in PA. 

3 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

It's not like Orlando doesn't already have a dozen parks / public spaces that are good examples to draw inspiration from when designing a place that people would actually seek out for a stroll (Lake Eola Park, Lake Ivanhoe, Delaney Park, Heritage Square).  All the more reason I view recent efforts like Luminary Green and the DPAC plaza as missed opportunities.  

The new park adjacent to the Wave Hotel in Lake Nona Town Center is a much more climate-appropriate space.  Something like that would have been nice relief from all the CV concrete.

Here is the adjacent Sculpture Garden:  https://www.lakenonawavehotel.com/things-to-do-lake-nona/sculpture-garden  

Who wouldn't rather spend an hour there instead?

Hey, that looks like all palm trees! But its obviously high budget, tastefully done, effectively creating shade with them. That park is amazing in person

On 3/3/2023 at 3:19 PM, jrs2 said:

I can't believe Modera is 7 stories- all wood.  Aren't there forests of trees balling their eyes out because of the loss of their brethren, having been reduced to cheap building exterior and framing structure which should have been all concrete and/or steel? They're crying and so are union workers in PA. 

Well, it is more sustainable than concrete or steel if it makes you feel better. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

How? 

Wood (trees) are natural. Concrete and steel are not. Trees can be planted.  There are other factors at play but that is the simplest way to describe it. It is why CLT is such a big deal for green building. 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 2:25 PM, uncreativeusername said:

I'm not so bothered by the open field--I think space for activities is especially relevant as an element of a college campus--but I agree that the palms are a bummer. There could have been a very nice perimeter of shade with seating as a compromise. Still very pleased with how CV is shaping up on the whole though, and while I agree it feels a little barren, I'm still optimistic for the long term as foliage matures and more plots are developed. 

While I agree with the sentiment, I really don’t see that as a reality of CV. ever.  Valencia and UCF are not going to bring crowds of people to this space likely ever. It’s not exactly UC Berkeley.  

Prior to UCF abandoning the Citrus Bowl where did everyone congregate? Church Street.

There is literally no reason to “hang out” in this space and that’s why no one is ever there. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

While I agree with the sentiment, I really don’t see that as a reality of CV. ever.  Valencia and UCF are not going to bring crowds of people to this space likely ever. It’s not exactly UC Berkeley.  

Prior to UCF abandoning the Citrus Bowl where did everyone congregate? Church Street.

There is literally no reason to “hang out” in this space and that’s why no one is ever there. 

Maybe they'll get some famous people to speak there occasionally.

Or possibly hold student rallies for some cause du jour.

Maybe hold various kinds of fairs or events. 

Movie night?  

20 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Maybe they'll get some famous people to speak there occasionally.

Or possibly hold student rallies for some cause du jour.

Maybe hold various kinds of fairs or events. 

Movie night?  

actually, if they got someone famous to speak thee, that could create the "sense of place" and lend it importance to start things off.  Then a rally or two.  Then movie night(s).  The problem is that with rallies, they are usually marches down Orange Ave.  Unless they start the rally there and end it at City Hall, or vice versa.  As it is now, rallies start off of Washington I think.

But movie night would be good- but this goes back to my question in another thread--- how many of the students are actually there on campus or living in those apartments?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, ragerunner said:

Since sunset is late this time of year we are running the show on a continuous loop. Later this summer we will make adjustment to its show times. We will also add a 4th of July segment to the show and a Christmas/Holiday additional this year as well.

it faces EA as opposed to the UCF side.  Was this done to "add life" to the EA side knowing by default UCF will automatically do that on the other side?

• 2 months later...