Chandler Arizona

MJLO

There any developements going on in Chandler besides massive strip malls along the San Tan freeway?

It's really a burgeoning city with growth, it more than doubled in population over the 90's. I'm sure that trend is continuing. But what sets Chandler apart from the other valley cities? As far as I can tell you could pretty much make Chandler and Gilbert one city and we'd be none the wiser. It does seem that Gilberts growth policies are a little more responsible than Chandlers. But honestly that's just from me looking at things I really don't know.

The only semi urban project I can find on it is called Parkhouse 50. Multi mid-low rise buildings planned as a community. But it seems riddled with question marks about whether or not it will actually come to fruition. I know there are a few people on here from Chandler. Sunbums? Know anything about this? Loftguy? You're my resident valley expert?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I first moved here about 15 yrs ago Chandler had like 80,000 people. I think it has damn near doubled that today. I lived then at Ray and Kyrene and there was pretty much cotton fields most of the way west to I-10. Now there's not a patch of open space anywhere. Can't complain though because I've always liked Chandler. it does have a small historic district that feels old west. I have always felt safe and comfortable here and it's a good place to raise kids which is why when I moved back I again selected the arrea. Like any other area here in the valley all the nerw development is boxish and boring. I mean how many Home Depots do we really need. Chnadler has a good mix of business including Intel which is currently building their next mega plant out there in Ocitillo (sp? I probably butchered that). They also have been selected by Convance for a large facility which there is a huge fight about since they are a biopharm company that uses animals for research. One thing I dislike here in AZ is how one town just runs into the next, which is why I like more rural areas. I like leaving one town and having to drive a distance to get to the next one. Well enough rambling for now...

Chandler has more than trippled in populater sunbums Running somewhere around 250k right now.

250k? Good heavens, no wonder it seems crowded around here :blink: You're right the '04 census puts it around 220k and if you figure 10k a year since it's right there. 91-92 when I first moved here we were pushing 100k (90k according to 90 census). That being said it's still a great place to live if you are looking in the Phx area.

The thing of it is none of these cities are built out yet. They will still continue to gain in population, for the forsee-able future. One can only imagine how many people will live in them for the next census.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Chandler news, they are lengthening the runway at the airport in town. They say the city benefits from about 86mill in revenue from the airport. I had no idea it was busy enough for that. Every damn city in Maricopa County has a municipal airport. Mesa has two. Are all of these neccessary?

Sun City doesn't have one. ;)

Yeah $86 mil seems especially high considering the size of Chandler's airport. Heavily factoring in indirect revenue much?

Maybe this is an attempt to compete with Williams Gateway?? It's those private jets that really bring in the revenue for the airports and sell the town ("We have a jetport so your limos don't have to cross town en route to your new office").

Chandler also has the private airport that serves as a housing development by the southern 202, selling itself on access to a private airplane runway from your backyard. I forget the name now.

I'm sure all of these little airports began as crop dusting plane refueling points.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read that the Chandler Airport is 45th busiest in the nation with more than 270,000 take offs and landings yearly. Does anyone else wonder how they get these numbers. I can't see it possible. That would make it busier than midsized city airports. Do the reliever airports in the valley really handle that much!!! overflow from sky harbor?

A majority of the traffic at CHD is training and sport pilots. I used to work there back when it was a single runway uncontrolled airfield. I have also flown airplanes in and out of there when I was learning to fly. By then it was a dual runway controlled field. I REALLY like CHD, always have. If I ever get a plane I may base it there. I can see that it will have great economic impact for the city and area.

Martin

I just read that the Chandler Airport is 45th busiest in the nation with more than 270,000 take offs and landings yearly. Does anyone else wonder how they get these numbers. I can't see it possible. That would make it busier than midsized city airports. Do the reliever airports in the valley really handle that much!!! overflow from sky harbor?

and ultimately the city is kind of banking on that. They are really hoping that the airport has a big impact. But if you're saying that the majority of the take offs and landings are from a flight school, then I think that the number is a bit inflated.

Not just A flight school, but two VERY active ones.. Plus, there are a lot of people who keep their personal private planes there, and some of those are also used for instruction and training flights.

There are also just a lot of flights out there for personal pleasure and business reasons.

Martin

and ultimately the city is kind of banking on that. They are really hoping that the airport has a big impact. But if you're saying that the majority of the take offs and landings are from a flight school, then I think that the number is a bit inflated.

This was in the Republic yesterday. Matt, your precious EVT is failing you if they missed this.

Cautious buzz surrounds Chandler plans

I really like Downtown Chandler though. Little restaurants and shops, and a beautiful fountain/park area in front of the city hall. There's also a resort smack in the middle of everything. There's even a museum Downtown detailing Chandler's history (kind of interesting, actually).

• 4 weeks later...

I've never heard of this before and never noticed it, although I've only been around the Fashion Square once.

I may be going up there this weekend sometime so I'll look for it and maybe take some pictures.

It depends on the construction stage but hotels are similar enough to condos that they could probably pull it off pretty easily without having to level or even completely gut the place. Apartments and hotels go back and forth sometimes. There is a Residence Inn in Houston and another hotel in Austin that was once a large apartment complex (now it's just a ginormous hotel), and there are a couple of apartments here in Tucson that were once motels.

Archived