Charlotte Pride

voyager12

Charlotte beats the hell out of Seattle in MANY MANY areas. Sure Seattle is extremely liberal, has a progressive political scene, and is gay positive/celebrates diversity.....

BUT if you wanna live a life with close and dear friends, friends to call on the phone, friends and associates and co workers to have dinner with occassionally----then don't even think about moving to Seattle. Friendliness is generally seen as suspect. "Why is he being friendly to me? What does he want from me?"

Chatting someone up in a grocery store queue, or on a bus, or at work is generally considered "intrusive".

And heaven forbid a man being friendly to a woman, with only friendliness in mind! If a man is friendly toward a woman it is ONLY because he "wants to get into her pants". I always try to let a woman know, right off the bat, that I'm gay, so she won't think I'm trying to hit on her~~that really sucks I tell ya:(

There is no community spirit here whatsoever. Really no municipal spirit either. Look at the Seattle thread on urbanplanet-----looks more like a thread of a very small city. Charlotte's urbanplanet participation shows a much more evolved pride of city, interest in one's city.

Most folks in Seattle only care about their very small immediate sphere i.e. immediate family. Neighbors rarely talk to one another here. It can be really sad, and it took me over 10 years to get used to it. I grew up in Carolina where friendliness is NORMAL.

So when liberal folks at N.C. look longingly toward Seattle, these things should be kept in mind. Seattle is a FABULOUS place to vacation, but if ya can stand the humid summers, I think Charlotte's quality of life makes it a better place to call home.

I went to a gay rights fundraiser here two weeks ago and a few of the house guests were visiting from bigger cities. They said while its great living in places that have a huge gay community that is more politically powerful, there is also much less togetherness and unity. I suppose one could argue that there is no need for it in DC or New York because gays are not marginalized in those towns. And there is more dedication and cohesion in places like Charlotte because we have no choice as a result of the area's conservative culture. Even so I would rather be in this type of environment. Living in a blue state or blue city is wonderfully self affirming and pleasant. I think its equally important though to have a presence in a more conservative area like Charlotte where you can see progress, although slower than many would like, being made all the time.

King of Queen, you don't have to worry about your kids being around gays. It doesn't rub off. Oh and by the way, homos are created by heteros if you didn't figure that out.

Another point is that your kids are around gay people every day of their lives right now....their teachers, their neighbors, their doctor or their nurse, their friends, etc. Gay people are everywhere my friend.

You can be as conservative as you want. Doesn't bother me.

I'm very conservative. So, you all probably know my out look on it.I dont mind people doing there little thing, but I just dont want my kids near it.I love charlotte, Im just more of a Gastonia person.Yall can do your little pride thing, as long as I can do my religious thing.

You know, I see no point to such a response in this thread as it only goes to demonstrate you are either fairly ignorant and backwards or a bigot or both. BTW, I have met many many Gay people that do live in Gastonia and while they do say they have to put up with BS from some people for the most part they don't have any problems there. My guess is none of them live near you and I feel sorry for your kids.

I never cease to be amazed by people who call themselve's religious who go out of their way to make themselves a pain in the ass to everyone else. Don't bother the people in this thread again with your self righteous nonsense and I would consider this a warning if I were you. (thankfully I'm not)

First off, i said It doesnt bother me that yall are.I said I dont want my kids around it.

And second~I'm Mexican.You think it bothers Me you dont like it...no.

And 3rd~I dont need nobodies 0 cents.

You know, I see no point to such a response in this thread as it only goes to demonstrate you are either fairly ignorant and backwards or a bigot or both. BTW, I have met many many Gay people that do live in Gastonia and while they do say they have to put up with BS from some people for the most part they don't have any problems there. My guess is none of them live near you and I feel sorry for your kids.

I never cease to be amazed by people who call themselve's religious who go out of their way to make themselves a pain in the ass to everyone else. Don't bother the people in this thread again with your self righteous nonsense and I would consider this a warning if I were you. (thankfully I'm not)

First off, i said It doesnt bother me that yall are.I said I dont want my kids around it.

And second~I'm Mexican.You think it bothers Me you dont like it...no.

And 3rd~I dont need nobodies 0 cents.

Tell it to the hand, because nobody here cares about your or your kids. Last time I checked, nobody forced you or your offspring to go to this event, or even participate in this thread. I say go stick you head back in the hole it came from in Mexico and quit pestering the people trying to have a discussion about it in this topic.

King of Queen, it DOES bother me by saying "you dont want your kids around it." But it also bothers me that Metro is flying off the handle. I do not agree that children being exposed to homosexuals makes them homosexuals, if that is what you are implying King of Queen. Or unless you just want to shelter your children from what you consider to be sin. But.....you do realize you wont be able to shelter your children forever, once they get into middle school you cant completely shelter them anymore. Sure you can shelter them at home, but you cant at school. By the wya Metro, your coment telling King of Queen to "stick his head back into the hole it came from in Mexico" is 100% racist and does not belong in this forum. I would advise you, moderator Metro, to moderate your own language please. Otherwise I will request for another moderator to edit your language. Thank you.

Ahh yeah, now this thread gets attention from people who have no intention of discussing the topic at hand. Nobody else comment on King of Queens comments and I have no intention of locking it because bigots decide to show their ugly head. Norm if you consider what I said racist, then you are reading too much into it. I suggest that you send a PM in the future if you have a concern about something posted here. We don't really need you to tell me or anyone else what is appropriate or not.

Please let's keep this thread a 'love on gays' thread and not a 'hate on gays', and for that matter, not a 'hate on anyone' thread.

I think the "x-tian" thing is a little unnecessary. Obviously, the subject of religion comes up a lot when it comes to this subject, but I think it is equally bigotted to call a religious group by a name that would clearly offend people of that religious faith. The hateful preachers are filled with hate for more than just gays, they are filled with hate for practically everyone. And significant numbers of christians are equally offended by their hatefulness as their gay targets. So hating christians is hate (a negative), and should not be an aspect of taking pride (a positive) in being gay.

And if the brimstone preachers are right, then we'll all just hang out in hell together and talk about it then. In the mean time, please ignore them.

According to an article in CL the overall attendance for this year's Pride set a record. The vibe was definitely more relaxed than last year's confrontational atmosphere at Marshall Park. Waccamatt mentioned that he would have gone if the "event had been more public". I had similar misgivings. Part of me thought that the festival should have slogged it out by staying in Marshall Park and showing the OSAers that public property belongs to everyone and we won't be run off. To some extent I thought that moving to Gateway was surrendering to their hate and tactics. I did not feel the same way when I got to the new location. This year's Pride may have been on private property but it was very accessible to the public and I saw plenty of straight couples and families walking through the venue. So now I don't regard it as a "hiding place" at all, it worked out great. Although if next year's numbers hold we have almost outgrown this new space already :)

Maybe I am reading too much into it, but making what i view as a personal insult to someone is something I feel does not belong in these forums. Not from me, not from a monderator, not from anyone. If you want to discuss this futher send me a PM. Other than that I am finished with this subject. Next one please.

BUT if you wanna live a life with close and dear friends, friends to call on the phone, friends and associates and co workers to have dinner with occassionally----then don't even think about moving to Seattle. Friendliness is generally seen as suspect. "Why is he being friendly to me? What does he want from me?"

Strangely (or maybe not so much so) all of my friends in Seattle are from somewhere else, mostly all back east. I am trying to think of a single friend I had who was a Seattle who was a native and am coming up blank. Actually, that's not entirely true - I do have one acquaintence who grew up there for most of her life even though she was born in Oregon.

I did love living in Seattle but you're right and I realized it on a visit a few years ago. It's a great place to visit, it's by no means a bad place to live but in Charlotte, I have a life. It took me a long time to be happy to be back here but now that I've found and surrounded myself with like-minded people here in Charlotte.

Did i say something that bad?When I said i'm more of a gastonia person, that had nothing to do with gays.

And 2nd, I said i have NO probelm with other people being gay, if you want to thats yo biz.And yes i do want to protect my kids form it because i have different beliefs.I have no problem with othre people being athiest,

potheads, gay. It doesnt affect my life at all.

According to an article in CL the overall attendance for this year's Pride set a record. The vibe was definitely more relaxed than last year's confrontational atmosphere at Marshall Park. Waccamatt mentioned that he would have gone if the "event had been more public". I had similar misgivings. Part of me thought that the festival should have slogged it out by staying in Marshall Park and showing the OSAers that public property belongs to everyone and we won't be run off. To some extent I thought that moving to Gateway was surrendering to their hate and tactics. I did not feel the same way when I got to the new location. This year's Pride may have been on private property but it was very accessible to the public and I saw plenty of straight couples and families walking through the venue. So now I don't regard it as a "hiding place" at all, it worked out great. Although if next year's numbers hold we have almost outgrown this new space already :)

Voyager, that is exactly my point. You can't move a Pride event to a more isolated location because it lessens the number of protestors or increases the crowd. Especially here in the south, it is extremely important for Gay and Lesbian people to be publically visible and represent all parts of our community. There are those that ask what good it does - politically - for us to be out, but it has been demonstrated that "to know us is to love us". :) It also makes life easier on our younger brothers and sisters to know they are not alone. I think the internet has helped with that alot, too.

Edited by waccamatt

Did i say something that bad?When I said i'm more of a gastonia person, that had nothing to do with gays.

And 2nd, I said i have NO probelm with other people being gay, if you want to thats yo biz.And yes i do want to protect my kids form it because i have different beliefs.I have no problem with othre people being athiest,

potheads, gay. It doesnt affect my life at all.

Hmm you are equating gays to drug users and no doubt anything else dreadful in society. If you want to raise your children to be ignorant and as backwards are you are then that is your right but I can promise you that "us Gays" are going to be the least of their problems. If you post in this thread again you will be banned from this site. I've had enough of it.

I think the issue boils down to mutual respect. If someone has moral or religious objections to homosexuality, I can respect their beliefs. I don't agree with it but its their right to believe whatever they want. Often these views are heartfelt, and one can talk and argue into they are blue in the face and it won't make any difference (know from experience) so the only thing I expect is respect for my position in return. Surprisingly, most people are receptive to agreeing to disagree. It becomes a problem when disagreement crosses the line into hurling insults and abuse. And in those cases its best to let the bigots rage because they do a great job of looking foolish and pathetic all by themselves.

Voyager, that is exactly my point. You can't move a Pride event to a more isolated location because it lessens the number of protestors or increases the crowd. Especially here in the south, it is extremely important for Gay and Lesbian people to be publically visible and represent all parts of our community. There are those that ask what good it does - politically - for us to be out, but it has been demonstrated that "to know us is to love us". :) It also makes life easier on our younger brothers and sisters to know they are not alone. I think the internet has helped with that alot, too.

I personally think a more public event would be great and would accomplish a lot for us in the community. However Pride in Charlotte has been somewhat pitiful over the past few years. Most people I know don't go, but many heard about this years event from those of us that went and have already said they want to check it out next year. The event in Marshall Park was so spread out that even a good sized crowd looks small, and the open air is great except it was usually hot as hades. That park also has limited parking and just isn't a great venue -- that is why no one else uses it and why we were offered it.

Thinking down the line, and using patience that I normally don't have, I think it is a good idea to have this event like it was this past year for another year or two. Let it be fun, let the crowd enjoy it without being harrassed, and let it grow. Let it become the kind of event that other gays in other cities have and look forward to. Once that happens, then move it out into the public again when the number of attendees has grown to the point where 5 or 10 people protesting won't even be noticed.

I'm not saying anyone should hide, but act as a good gardener and cultivate the project indoors for a week or two before setting it in the sun!

Again I am amazed at the people who have shown up in this thread once trouble starts and have no interest in the Charlotte Pride topic. Ok let me say this one more time. Feel free to post in this topic on Charlotte Pride. Do not use this topic to bash Gays or make comments on how this forum or this topic are run. If anyone else makes a post here that falls into that last category, they will be suspended.

(this is in reference to a post that I just deleted)

I personally think a more public event would be great and would accomplish a lot for us in the community. However Pride in Charlotte has been somewhat pitiful over the past few years. Most people I know don't go, but many heard about this years event from those of us that went and have already said they want to check it out next year. The event in Marshall Park was so spread out that even a good sized crowd looks small, and the open air is great except it was usually hot as hades. That park also has limited parking and just isn't a great venue -- that is why no one else uses it and why we were offered it......

I agree with you on this one. Marshal Park was not a very good venue for this event.

Would the Square be totally out of the question as the location of Charlotte Pride?

Close the approaches to the Square, and have a big block party type event right in the intersection of Trade/Tryon.

oh by the way, perhaps Charlotte gays should drive to Concord and picket that wierdo gay-hating group on their own turf.