Charlotte Pride

voyager12

• 3 weeks later...

The Observer did a story on the upcoming Queen City Cotillion recently. It will take the place of Gay Bingo as the RAIN fundraiser. While I think its a good idea, the article emphasized that tickets are "limited" the event is black tie and tickets are $50 a person. Gay Bingo tickets used to be only $20. I know the whole point is to raise money but hiking the fee this high leaves those of us who can't afford it but still want to participate out in the cold. Not very egalitarian in my opinion. All gay men are not rolling in the dough :rolleyes:

Exactly. I really do understand they have to rake in money for the cause, but Bingo appealed to a larger cross section of Charlotte. Heck, half the time there were almost as many straight people as gay, which is what we need more of. This event is not going to draw the same demo. And maybe that is what the organizers want :shades: Anyhow, check out the letters to the editor section, on the Observer site this morning...this article did go over too well with some readers :lol:

Edited by voyager12

The Baptist Convention of NC is expected to expel any member churches that affirm and support Homosexuality at their annual meeting this week. Myers Park Baptist Church and St. John's Baptist Church in Elizabeth are both expecting to be expelled and are standing firm. Myers Park Baptist is not sending representatives to the meeting. Good for them for standing up against bigotry :thumbsup: I only wish there were more.

• 1 month later...

I read in Q Notes today that "Gayghettos.com" has named NoDa an up and coming gayborhood :huh: North Davidson,Plaza Midwood,Dilworth, and most of the intown neighborhoods are relatively gay friendly but on a much smaller scale. We have no equivalent to Chicago's Boystown or New York's Chelsea. I don't think NoDa is going to fill that void. The gay community is very dispersed across the metro area it seems to me. The local media seems to think that gays only exist in Dilworth or Plaza Midwood because that fits well into soundbites. Also, Charlotte is a new and mostly sprawling city and we don't have as many urban districts that often revitalize through gay home improvement.

Funny, I just went to the site and they have a broad and not very accurate description of Southend and PlazaMidwood but I did not see North Davidson listed, unless I clicked on the wrong thing. Anyway, Asheville and Durham are listed. They also left off Chapel Hill/Carrboro. The former has had an openly gay Town Council member for years and the latter had an openly gay Mayor. Some survey <_<

Edited by voyager12

I know people that live in Durham that have rennovated homes that would be worth a million dollars in Myers Park but cost less than a fifth of that in that town even though the neighborhoods are just a lovely. The problem that Durham has is that its school system is considered to be subpar, so most of the middle class growth is elsewhere. It's developing into an interesting Gayborhood. I've also heard this said about Asheville and it does have an artsy scene. It's problem is there isn't a lot of employment opportunities there, its inundated by tourists in the summer, and its damn cold there in the winter. That tends to hold it back IMO.

True about Asheville. I go for weekend trips and like most everyone else gay or straight I think "I would love to live there". Then I remember what it was like living in Charleston. Yes it's awesome living in a beautiful old cities but along with that comes ridiculous cost of living,tourism congestion etc etc. As far as living in openly gay life in Charlotte my perception may be skewed because I rarely go beyond intown neighborhoods but have never had problems in the suburbs when I am out there either. In two years living here I have had a few dirty looks and two instances of namecalling which bounced off my reinforced Gay thick skin without inflicting emotional damage! The city still has a long way to go but pointless survey or not, at least it's a testament to Charlotte's progress on the issue.

Edited by voyager12

Yes, I spent a great deal of time in Scotborough at one point :blush: Not anymore :lol: Anyhow, Rainbow flags are quite plentiful in that subdivsion which is nice to see and the gay contingent is pretty stable. The neighborhood overall is quite mixed across the board with many minorities.

Edited by voyager12

Yes, I spent a great deal of time in Scotborough at one point :blush: Not anymore :lol: Anyhow, Rainbow flags are quite plentiful in that subdivsion which is nice to see and the gay contingent is pretty stable. The neighborhood overall is quite mixed across the board with many minorities.

Oh, did you now? Do tell. ;)

I know the subdivision has seen an unfortunate number of foreclosures over the last few years, which has caused some obvious problems. But apparently the gay contingent has been a highly stabilizing force, which is great. As far as I know, that's the only concentration of gays and lesbians in any neighborhood outside of the city's core.

Edited by PlazaMidwoodGuy

He (who shall remain nameless) ;) would often mention that foreclosures were a big problem for the neighborhood and dragged down homeowners like himself property value wise. I don't know why the problem was so acute in this particular subdivision. I have always thought the development was nicely done. Mostly attractive looking two story faux Craftsmans that are much much less $$$ than the real thing in the older neighborhoods.

Edited by voyager12

According to today's Observer, CMS has banned "Tango makes Three" the gay penguin book. Gorman totally ignored standard district procedure which requires a review and the school board has the final say. He had it pulled because a couple parents asked him about it and Bill James emailed him :rolleyes: After being caught he claims that he unintentionally forgot to follow correct policy and the book will now be reviewed by committee. Banning books is wrong on all levels. Charlotte Mecklenburg Libraries refused to ban it when they got a request. Here is the reasoning behind CMS's initial decision : "First, it is a picture book that focuses on homosexuality. Second, we did not feel that such information was vital to primary students. Next, we did not believe the book would stimulate growth in ethical standards, and the book is too controversial." I have never read such crap in my entire life. What kind of message does this send to gay students at CMS? If this is their rationale then I guess gay students and teachers have to be banned from CMS because they are not ethical and are controversial and the GSA's that have been in existence in several Mecklenburg high schools have to be dismantled because they are causing such a disruption. It's same old tired story. A handful of ignorant parents think this book will turn their kids gay, Bill James jumps into the mix of course and Gorman caves because he is the new guy in town and does not want to make the majority mad so as usual the gays are expendable. Shameful. The book needs to be reinstated.

Edited by voyager12

According to today's Observer, CMS has banned "Tango makes Three" the gay penguin book.

I've already composed a letter to Dr. Gorman, the principal of our children's school, the school librarian and Bill James expressing my displeasure with this turn of events. We also plan to buy a copy of this book and donate it to our children's school.

I received responses back from Gorman and his top assistant Mo Green this afternoon. I emailed early this morning. I do give them credit for getting back to me so soon. Although their responses were just typical CMS bureacratese. The book will now be reviewed by "central committee" whatever that is...within 20 days and then a decision will be made. They claimed that a "miscommunication" resulted in the book being pulled. Gorman and Green though a complaint had been made and that the standards board had agreed to it. In reality no formal complaint was ever filed which is strictly required. CMS guidelines clearly state that books cannot be pulled simply because of "controversial" content without a fair review. If this secret committee has any sense at all they will vote to reinstate the book. Actually, since CMS failed to follow procedure the book technically has not been banned yet and should be returned to the shelf immediately.