Charlotte Pride

voyager12

Regarding the ridiculous controversy surrounding the book about the allegedly gay penguins, the Observer was just asking for trouble when they provided a "Post your comments" section accompanying the online article. While I'm all for a forum in which people can post thoughtful and reasoned comments, that's typically not what happens....ESPECIALLY when the topic deals with homosexuality in any way shape or form. The vast majority of the comments were typically ignorant anti-gay bile and my jaw dropped when I read some of the things these people had to say. I sent an email to the writer of the article, as well as the online editor of Charlotte.com and told them just that. They responded to me that the comments section of the article had been taken down because it had gotten so ugly.

It's sad that such a book would cause an uproar here. Of course, the fact that commissioner Bill James helped stir the pot on this one only made things worse...as usual.

the Observer was just asking for trouble when they provided a "Post your comments" section accompanying the online article.

The "Post Your Comments" feature on the Observer Online is pure comedy, until you realize that people actually believe the things that they post there.

It is sad. Whenever the Observer highlights Charlotte's gay community the phobes come out and slam us in the Comments section. While I don't think these people represent the majority, the hatred and ignorance always stuns me. I could not believe the article this morning. Book Banning? What century are we living in? Gay related, liberal or conservative,banning books makes me crazy. Books are so vitally important. Especially to children who may feel isolated and alone. In many cases they are the only connections they have to understanding and love. I relied on them growing up and still do. Thank goodness Charlotte-Mecklenburg Libraries refused to ban it. While this city is making progress on diversity, it's episodes like this that make me want to throw up my hands, give up the fight and move to a more enlightened city.

Edited by voyager12

Well good. I guess I was right earlier when I said that since the book was never banned to begin with it should be returned. The Observer online Poll has been overwhelmingly leaning against the ban.It is based on two male Penguins who raised a chick together at Central Park Zoo. And broadly it's not even about penguins. It's about free speech and understanding. I sincerely hope they rule to keep it. According to the article every other state where it has been challenged the end result has been to keep it in school. Meanwhile, over at Charlotte Mecklenburg Libraries which had the good sense to ignore removal calls, interest in checking out Tango has never been greater.

Edited by voyager12

I received responses back from Gorman and his top assistant Mo Green this afternoon. I emailed early this morning. I do give them credit for getting back to me so soon. Although their responses were just typical CMS bureacratese. The book will now be reviewed by "central committee" whatever that is...within 20 days and then a decision will be made. They claimed that a "miscommunication" resulted in the book being pulled. Gorman and Green though a complaint had been made and that the standards board had agreed to it. In reality no formal complaint was ever filed which is strictly required. CMS guidelines clearly state that books cannot be pulled simply because of "controversial" content without a fair review. If this secret committee has any sense at all they will vote to reinstate the book. Actually, since CMS failed to follow procedure the book technically has not been banned yet and should be returned to the shelf immediately.

Now, how old are your kids who attend CMS? And, as a dog walker...do you pay taxes? I'm just wondering aloud here.

I am not going to stoop to your immature level. I am only going to say that it's called "public" school for a reason. Students attending come from a mixture of families and this book simply represents this fact in the animal form. Whether you approve of homosexuality or not we are everywhere and kids need to learn early about respecting differences.

Now, how old are your kids who attend CMS? And, as a dog walker...do you pay taxes? I'm just wondering aloud here.

Here we go. :rolleyes: If you work in Mecklenburg County, you pay taxes on that income...whether you're a dog walker or a bank CEO. Therefore we ALL have a say in the running of CMS because it's OUR tax dollars that they use to fund the system. Are you advocating the idea that those of us who don't have children in the school system have no say in the matter? Okay, if that's the case, I want a refund for the portion of my taxes that have been earmarked for CMS over the 20 years that I have lived childless in this city. And from this point forward, I want to pay LESS tax than parents who have children in CMS and I don't want "one more dime" (to quote you) of my hard earned money going to the school system. I have no kids, so it's only fair....right? Then and only then will I no longer have a say in what happens in CMS....and that INCLUDES keeping enlightened and positive books such as this one in the school libraries, as opposed to having them banned by ignorant, radical conservatives who can't stand the idea of acceptance of anything other than what they narrowly consider the norm.

Edited by PlazaMidwoodGuy

To clarify, there is no income tax that goes to the county. Also, if an income is low enough, income taxes might not need to be filed. But voyager would be paying sales taxes, car property tax and registration fees, and that would go to the schools.

I agree that part of the problem with public schools is that everyone feels they have a say in everything, leading to policies that are very ineffectual. I'm going to the far other side on this one, in that I don't even think parents should have a say. Our taxes go to the hospitals, too, but I'm not going to try to micromanage doctors.

I don't think Bill James realizes that if he hadn't brought attention to that book, no one would have noticed. How many kids actually read library books?

Also, I think the only reason that he is upset about the book is that it takes away from the argument that homosexuality isn't natural. Why deal in truths when truthiness will do.

To clarify, there is no income tax that goes to the county. Also, if an income is low enough, income taxes might not need to be filed. But voyager would be paying sales taxes, car property tax and registration fees, and that would go to the schools.

Voyagers rent also goes to his landlord who pays property taxes which support schools - so that pass-through gives even renters a say in what property taxes are spent on.

I couldn't agree with you more, Dubone, about the micromanagement of the school system. I don't know how they could succeed with so much scrutiny over every little thing they do.

You're right and thanks for clarifying. So now I'll amend it to say that I want a refund of my portion of property taxes and all other fees that may have gone to CMS over the years. -_- And you make an excellent analogy where the hospitals are concerned. I've never really thought of it that way but it's a valid point, IMO.

I don't think Bill James realizes that if he hadn't brought attention to that book, no one would have noticed. How many kids actually read library books?

Oh I don't know about that. I think he knew precisely what he was doing and he WANTED the book to get attention. He rationalizes that if parents get riled up about the school system allowing a book that....as people like him say.....promotes "the homosexual agenda," then there will be so much hoopla they'll have no choice but to take the book off the shelves.

As I told the folks at the Observer regarding this whole mess, an interesting article for them to write would be one on the topic of Bill James' absolute obsession with homosexuality. How does the quote go? "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." And trust me, in this case I use the word "lady" very loosely.

Edited by PlazaMidwoodGuy

In the future post a link if you think it is important.

Will do. Suffice to say for anyone wondering, I was agreeing with PlazaMidwoodGuy that Bill James' motivation for bringing this penguin book to light was suspect to say the least. I won't even bother posting the links, but trust me, the man has said some vile, vile things not only about gays but African-Americans as well.

James continues to be re-elected while running on this platform. One fat gluttonous bigot doesn't bother me. A section of Charlotte that thinks it is fine to continue to vote said bigot into office does.

Doesn't bother me either -- I think it actually helps those against his type. Less vile "conservatives" probably have a hard time not being tied to him and most people don't support this type of politics, policy, or obsession. He therefore hurts other more moderate Republicans by turning off moderates. GO BILL!

Do ya'll remember the controversal kids book from years past "Heather Has Two Mommies"? I wonder if it is still around.

It went into some school libraries and homophobes and religious extremists went berserk. The book encouraged kids to accept other kids who happened to live in nontraditional homes.

Isn't it telling that these hateful extremist book banners are opposed to things that encourage reason, inclusion and good will?

• 2 weeks later...

According to today's O Tango is not going to be "reviewed" by CMS. The district's legal counsel said that a book cannot be arbitrarily reviewed or banned without a formal complaint. The CMS Library Director says that interest in the book has never been greater by parents and children. According to her since this issue blew up one parent has asked Myers Park Traditional Elementary not to allow his child to check out the book. I guess he is afraid he or she will catch "gay" from reading this story. The main sentiment of the article focused on the hope that this row is over but I would not be surprised if some parent does decide to file a formal complaint in order to pursue a ban further.

According to today's O Tango is not going to be "reviewed" by CMS. The district's legal counsel said that a book cannot be arbitrarily reviewed or banned without a formal complaint. The CMS Library Director says that interest in the book has never been greater by parents and children. According to her since this issue blew up one parent has asked Myers Park Traditional Elementary not to allow his child to check out the book. I guess he is afraid he or she will catch "gay" from reading this story. The main sentiment of the article focused on the hope that this row is over but I would not be surprised if some parent does decide to file a formal complaint in order to pursue a ban further.

Rest assured Bill James will not give up on this matter. Don't be surprised to see him recruit parents of school-aged children in his district to challenge the book. Other right wing loonies may do the same thing.

Rest assured Bill James will not give up on this matter. Don't be surprised to see him recruit parents of school-aged children in his district to challenge the book. Other right wing loonies may do the same thing.

There will probably be a petition and nasty article coming soon in the Whino Times about it!