According to a post in the PlazaMidwood thread The Gay Community Center and White Rabbit are going to be displaced by a monster Starbucks and retail and office space. This was a complete surprise to me. The Center just recently turned the corner financially. I hope they had an inkling of this coming and have future options available. Anyone hear anything?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Y'all.   

SCOTUS has voted that it is illegal to discriminate against LGBTQ people.  This is STUNNING news.  NC state law goes out the window.  i am almost speechless.  Never thought I would see this in my life

Yay!!!  So happy and gay here too! ❤️

Posted Images

It's more of an issue of Charlotte being converted to a dull monotony of chain stores located in generic office type space decorated with fake stone, brick and EFIS and sometimes a water feature as if that would make up for it. I don't think I have ever seen a city as bad as Charlotte that is as hell bent on making the city as uninteresting as possible. No doubt that Central Ave, will eventually look just like Ballentyne Blvd.

I am sure the White Rabbit and the Community Center could not do much about it since they no doubt did not own the property. This will be the second re-location of White Rabbit which used to be closer to town on Kings Drive.

I drove by slower this AM. To make matters worse the rendering looks to me to be the epitome of strip mall style dreck. I am thinking that as tenants on a lease they must have had some kind of warning. But rental space in that neighborhood or NoDa which are the two areas where I could see them fitting in has got to be pricey. Unless some White Knight swoops in and finds them space.

Edited by voyager12

This will be the second re-location of White Rabbit which used to be closer to town on Kings Drive.

Their original Charlotte location was next door to Liaisons on Rensselaer but it burned in 1995. I am surprised that they would put a Starbucks there because there's one less than a mile away at the corner of 7th and Pecan - oh wait, this is Starbucks we're talking about.

The point is that it's not really possible to characterize Charlotte/Mecklenburg in such cut and dry terms as city good suburbs bad. Maybe it works in Atlanta, but we are not really made up like ATL either.

In my post I actually meant Charlotte/Mecklenburg and I intended to be clear in saying outlying *counties*. I don't feel our 'burbs are unfriendly to gays any more than center city but I used to travel fairly often to places in Anson County, Stanly County, Lincoln County, parts of Union, and Davidson Counties. I definitely didn't feel the love there at all. I actually don't mean that from a gay standpoint either -- I've been told I'm not obvious, but I am an obvious city-dweller and that was enough to get me evil stares, I can only imagine if I were in a rainbow t-shirt.

I don't feel any more or less comfortable anywhere. Now, get me outside the city into some of the surrounding counties and it is a different story...

*outside* the city should have read *outside the county* but I think I should have been clear about *surrounding counties*.

No. That is the first time I have heard that one. He was voted out due to being one of the gang of five.

I was thinking I was crazy, but if you search past news articles it was in the Observer the 31st of October 1998. His wife filled for divorce days before the election citing marital misconduct, it was a big issue running up to the election. Either way, thankfully he is gone!

Voyager, I think you have reason to be upset, especially after the snub HRC got from the mayor. I really am shocked that CCCP does not include this in their calender. Hopefully someone will eventually make them answer your questions.

If CCCP is nervous about a "backlash" by placing the event on their calendar, then they should at least have the courtesy and balls to return a phone call or email saying just that. It's their silence on the matter that pisses me off. For a quasi public agency (they do get tax money) to not respond to the request of someone living uptown and having an event uptown is unforgivable. To me, that is the REAL issue. Somebody at Charlotte Center City Partners needs to at least respond.

I know for a fact they read this board, so step up to the plate Smith and Co. Y'all are willing to spend money on the Richard Florida bullsh*t, (Florida, who tells us how gay people are the creative class -- a class you all so desperately want in Charlotte), but yet when an event directed primarily at "the creative class" comes up, you back down. You can't have it both ways. Either you act like the banks and accept diversity or you don't. What's it going to be, Mr Smith? Either crap or get off the pot.

Edit: maybe this needs to become a new thread with CCCP in the title. I'm really curious as to their reasons for not answering emails on this and why placing it on the uptown calendar is an issue at all. God, this place is so lame sometimes it borders on rediculous.

Edited by Miesian Corners

Thanks for additional words of support everyone :) It truly is puzzling. I checked again today and still no dice especially since Hedwig is still listed :lol: This is not a conservative play and it's not playing directly in Uptown but along Stonewall at Actor's. Truly bizarre.The calendar is simply a listing of events that attract people Uptown isn't that what they want? I want to doubt that CCCP is full of homophobia perhaps it's fear of incurring displeasure with other movers and shakers they have to do business with. Which is just as sad. I do expect this year's event to go very well like last year even with no support from the city and most of the private sector. Hopefully it will not be too steamy :(

Edited by voyager12

The people at White Rabbit told me today that they hope to stay in the neighborhood along with The Community Center. They are concerned about being able to find affordable rental space in PM. I can only see this working out for both tenants if some civic minded property owner in the area is generous and gives them a good deal. There is Gay and Lesbian Charlotte Fund adminstered by The Foundation for The Carolinas and maybe they could assist. I am sure The Center Board is hard at work looking for locations. I assume it was a nasty jolt for them after successfully turning the place around financially to be hit with this. Although it seems to be par for the course in gay history in Charlotte. Constant rollercoaster.

I got this straight :lol: from the center's site at GayCharlotte.com :

On July 25, 2007, the building at 1401 Central Ave. which houses the Center and the White Rabbit was sold to new owners. A few days later, the LGCC Board received notice of the intention of the new owners to effectively double the rent

Edited by voyager12

The CCCP thing has me so irritated that I've emailed some friends in high places at Wachovia and BofA. They both provide a large amount of funding to CCCP. Got to hit them where it hurts: their wallet.

Yeah, good idea. I dont think its getting through to Mr. Smith by just e-mails from random people. I'm kinda puzzled by this. Its just a calandar? The event, the date, and the time? Would they even receive backlash from this, I really dont think so. But not even returning an email explaining why? Maybe its no big deal to CCCP, but having one of their biggest events purposely left off an event calandar is a big deal to the gay people in the Charlotte community. Doesn't exactly scream "World class city"!

That's certainly good news and I'm happy to hear it! For once I feel like the fact that I fired off a terse email to someone actually helped get results! Lord knows I fire off terse emails to people all the time and it never does any good. ^_^ Thanks to everyone who contacted the CCCP to let them know how you felt about this situation!

I wonder if some of the more conservative powers that be within the organization (or at the City of Charlotte.....Mayor McCrory in particular) are now a bit displeased about having Pride added to the calendar of events. And if they truly are upset by it, then do forgive me but I can't help but feel a little schadenfreude (best translation: "malicious joy") over the whole thing.

That's certainly good news and I'm happy to hear it! For once I feel like the fact that I fired off a terse email to someone actually helped get results! Lord knows I fire off terse emails to people all the time and it never does any good. ^_^ Thanks to everyone who contacted the CCCP to let them know how you felt about this situation!

I wonder if some of the more conservative powers that be within the organization (or at the City of Charlotte.....Mayor McCrory in particular) are now a bit displeased about having Pride added to the calendar of events. And if they truly are upset by it, then do forgive me but I can't help but feel a little schadenfreude (best translation: "malicious joy") over the whole thing.

Schadenfreude. Probably the most wonderful German word to have ever found its way into the English language. All is forgiven, PlazaMidwoodGuy.

Be happy that it's even there. They didn't have to put it up so complaining even more probably won't further your goal it will just piss them off. As Charlotte_native said, baby steps. You need to crawl before you walk. At least they gave the event website so people can get more information if they want to.

Edited by Raintree21
Be happy that it's even there. They didn't have to put it up so complaining even more probably won't further your goal it will just piss them off. As Charlotte_native said, baby steps. You need to crawl before you walk. At least they gave the event website so people can get more information if they want to.
We had every right to "complain" as you put it. I don't care if they are "pissed off". We are supposed to be nice to ignorance and homophobia? The powers that be in this town just love to ignore the gay community because we don't fit into their "world class" image. It's absolutely digusting and discriminatory that CCCP's mission is to bring events and diversity to Uptown and they had to be nagged into doing the right thing. I am glad that it's there and I am not going to give CCCP kudos. The fact that putting a gay event on a calendar was even an issue in Charlotte shows how incredibly backward this town still is regarding homosexuality. Edited by voyager12

CMS School Board member Trent Merchant spoke at The Charlotte Business Guild meeting tonight. He gave a very authentic and supportive speech advocating for sexual orientation protections to be included in CMS student and employment policies. He was appointed to fill a spot on the CMS school board and is running for election in November. Being publicly supportive of gay rights in Charlotte guarantees a smear campaign by The Mecklenburg Republican Party. Just ask Jennifer Roberts ,Parks Helms and unseated former commissioner Wilhelmina Rembert about the "pink" mailers sent out last election season and anonymous Youtube video. Merchant plans to ignore the hatemongering and deserves credit and strong consideration for being fairminded and progressive. These are traits we need more of on the school board.

Well it seems some drama may occur during Pride. Michael Brown from "The Coalition of Conscience" in Concord is holding a " news conference" at Gateway Village tomorrow AM. He wants to hand out invitations to gay clergy and others to talk about whether it's possible to be Gay and Christian at Pride on Saturday. According to his press release"thousands of Christians in Charlotte consider this a paramount issue" Well perhaps in Bill James's district :lol: He is going to perform this outreach from the booth at Pride that is supposed to function as a sanctuary and reporting site for festival attendees who feel harassed or threatened by the protestors. I am Jewish and Gay so I guess I am going to double hell according to him :rolleyes: I don't have any issue about protesting. I protest the war along public sidewalks and they have the right to their protest. I do have an issue when these "Christians" go after people in an invasive manner through taunting and abusive proselytizing , behavior that made Marshall Park untenable for Pride. Hopefully the disruptions will be minimal this time around like last year. I think they should move Pride to Concord and march around that town since it seems to be the HQ for homophobia in this area. ( I know all Concord residents are not phobes but it's where the groups are based).

Edited by voyager12
:fun::( is how I will remember this year's Pride! I just got back home and had a good time aside from the dreadful heat. A couple of the protestors were louder than last year which was an annoyance. The police intermittently told them to quiet down. A few attendees yelled back and tried to engage them but it's much better to just ignore the taunts. In this country everyone has a right to their opinion and that should be protected regardless of whether I agree or not. My only issue with the opposition today was the screaming preacher that purposely followed people and around and then yelled at a little girl that she was going to hell. I will never see how that kind of unbelievably cruel and disgusting conduct is "Christian". Aside from that ugly scene I witnessed it was wonderful seeing how diverse Charlotte's gay community is and observing people being able to let their guard down for a day. As for me I went hogwild with more bumper stickers to adorn my car. I can't help myself :lol: Edited by voyager12

:fun::( is how I will remember this year's Pride! I just got back home and had a good time aside from the dreadful heat. A couple of the protestors were louder than last year which was an annoyance. The police intermittently told them to quiet down. A few attendees yelled back and tried to engage them but it's much better to just ignore the taunts. In this country everyone's right to their opinion should be protected regardless of whether I agree or not. My only issue with the opposition today was the screaming preacher that purposely followed people and around and then yelled at a little girl that she was going to hell. I will never see how that kind of unbelievably cruel and disgusting conduct is "Christian". Aside from that ugly scene I witnessed it was wonderful seeing how diverse Charlotte's gay community is and observing people being able to let their guard down for a day. As for me I went hogwild with more bumper stickers to adorn my car. I can't help myself :lol:

That same "preacher" and his handful of angry followers were also out at the gates of BofA Stadium before the Panthers game last night. For some reason they also handed out anti-gay literature there in addition to screaming that "Jesus has always been undefeated". Apparantly being a sports fan is bad in these folks eyes also. At least I don't feel as singled out.

I've always wondered, though, why these protestors who want more morality always leave the strip clubs alone. Gay pride is once a year, but that supposed immoral behavior goes on every day. I guess they being sexually active and living in sin is only really bad if it is same sex.