Charlotte Pride

voyager12

I will not be at this year's soiree :fun: but I am happy about the honorees selected : Elke Kennedy, Myers Park Baptist Church, and a gay friendly civil rights minister. I expect a couple of protestors like last year but the numbers seem to dwindle as the years go by.

The strange part about the protesters last year in front of the HRC dinner (there were only a few of them -- maybe 10) was the literature they were handing out. It was anti-abortion. I'm not sure if an evangelical that doesn't believe in evolution also doesn't understand the reproductive system, but they were passing that message out to a crowd that hardly has much need for an abortion. As a matter of fact, we would be great candidates to adopt these children that women would have without an abortion. I guess it shows how much they actually think about what they are trying to accomplish.

Michael Brown's "Coalition of Conscience"is back at The Blumenthal during the week leading up to The HRC Dinner. This year's topic is "Can you be gay and Christian". The advertisement warns that gay bashing and attacks of any kind on either side will not be permitted. While that is nice to read the event is already biased against gays through it's title. Whether some like it or not gays are christians just like heteros. A more fitting title would have been " Gay Christians and those opposed to them debate". I went to a forum in Charleston once on this topic. While I did not agree with the other side it was helpful and worthwhile to listen to civil discourse on the matter. The conversation worked because impartial facilitators from a professional firm with experience ran the event and kept things equal and calm on both sides. Michael Brown is not impartial. The final night of the series features a director from The Human Rights Campaign's religious outreach arm engaging in a "debate" with Brown. HRC is making a serious mistake by appearing and giving credibility to this anti-gay farce.

Edited by voyager12

Michael Brown's "Coalition of Conscience"is back at The Blumenthal during the week leading up to The HRC Dinner. This year's topic is "Can you be gay and Christian". The advertisement warns that gay bashing and attacks of any kind on either side will not be permitted. While that is nice to read the event is already biased against gays through it's title. Whether some like it or not gays are christians just like heteros. A more fitting title would have been " Gay Christians and those opposed to them debate". I went to a forum in Charleston once on this topic. While I did not agree with the other side it was helpful and worthwhile to listen to civil discourse on the matter. The conversation worked because impartial facilitators from a professional firm with experience ran the event and kept things equal and calm on both sides. Michael Brown is not impartial. The final night of the series features a director from The Human Rights Campaign's religious outreach arm engaging in a "debate" with Brown. HRC is making a serious mistake by appearing and giving credibility to this anti-gay farce.

One has to wonder if he'll have as dismal a turn-out as last year. If my sources were correct, there were rarely more than a handful of his personal supporters that showed up so there was a big ol' empty theater for a week with a single guy chatting about his issues with gays. This in contrast to the couple thousand that attended the dinner that he was opposed to.

Is he getting any publicity so far this year? I think that is more what he hoped for last year -- though he got a bit, it is really pretty inconsequetial, a mini-article or two in the Observer and a blip story on Fox News local. He was given a small column in the opinion section of the paper (which I actually feel anyone is entitled to) but at no point last year did his attempts to create controversy get anywhere or much of any attention.

Thankfully, these days, folks like this are fringe at best and ignoring them works far more than paying any attention or fighting back. I was tempted last year to go hear him speak just for the sake of hearing it, but decided adding another number to those attending wasn't worth it.

Michael Brown's "Coalition of Conscience"is back at The Blumenthal during the week leading up to The HRC Dinner. This year's topic is "Can you be gay and Christian".

The title of the event is perplexing -- will God be there to speak? Though I am far from a religious person, I was raised in the Church and have read the Bible and listened to plenty of sermons. I feel pretty certain He is the only one capable of answering this question and I have doubts He gave proxy rights to Mr. Brown.

Edited by Charlotte_native

The more I read about groups like this the more I wonder why they limit their issues with perceived sexual immorality to the lives of the Gay and Lesbian community. If they really feel they have a mission from God to try and eliminate what they consider sin, where are the picket lines at Uptown Caberet and the Ascot Inn behind it (where apparantly you can take one of the dancers for earthly pleasures). There are straight sex clubs, strip clubs, etc, all over the city. Reading Mr. Brown's issues with homosexuality -- they center around his perception of lewdness and sexual immorality -- which surrounds us on TV, in the movies, and in clubs and venues all over the city. I guess it is only bad when a couple dudes want to wear tuxes to a dinner at the Convention Center.

I might go...perhaps I could snag a copy of the much talked about but never seen Radical Homosexual Agenda. Will take an extra for you too CN :lol:

I'd really appreciate it! Being (apparantely) a radical homosexual, I guess it is about time I learned what our agenda actually is. I just thought I was living my life and hoping to not be discriminated against because of how I was born... :dontknow:

Here is the radical homosexual agenda, gay urban male version (the most virulent):

6:00 am Gym (may instead substitute for theater at 8:00PM if there's nothing worth seeing and you need a pump before going out to dance the night away...)

8:00 am Breakfast-egg whites, oatmeal, grapefruit, coffee or tea, sustainably harvested

9:00 am Haircut

10:00 am Shopping

12:00 PM Brunch

2:00 PM (Here's the really important part)

1) Assume complete control of the US Federal, State and local Governments as well as all other national governments

2) Repeal DOMA

3) Bulldoze all houses of worship

4) Secure total control of the INTERNET and all mass media.

5) Force straight men to style gulags to learn how to dress correctly

2:15PM (whew!)

2:30 PM Get Forty Winks of Beauty Rest to prevent facial wrinkles from stress of world conquest (may substitute a visit to one's dermatologist on Tuesdays and Fridays)

4:00 PM Cocktails (no more than 2 drinks or glasses of wine, please-and no alcohol if gym awaits at 8)

6:00 PM Light Dinner-no more than 3 oz. of free range chicken, sustainably harvested vegetables, organic artisanal bread, filtered water

8:00 PM Theater(may substitute gym-see above)

11:00 PM Bed

The proposed gay inclusive CMS anti-bullying policy will be introduced at a board meeting tonight at the Gvt Ctr at 6:00 pm. The meeting is open to the public. Brief comments can be made on any topic by signing up onsite or calling 980.343.5139 by noon, the board will hold a public hearing and a vote on March 11th. That could be quite a night, oy vey -_-

Edited by voyager12

The proposed gay inclusive CMS anti-bullying policy will be introduced at a board meeting tonight at the Gvt Ctr at 6:00 pm. The meeting is open to the public. Brief comments can be made on any topic by signing up onsite or calling 980.343.5139 by noon, the board will hold a public hearing and a vote on March 11th. That could be quite a night, oy vey -_-

Shall I assume you've called and scheduled yourself!?

^I am going to be quite blunt and say no. I am not a good public speaker. I get nervous and stutter or get too emotional and end up screaming and cursing. Such a display does not make a good impression on wavering minds. Polished unruffled people used to intense dialogue are much better. I am not suited to lead a charge. What I am comfortable doing is writing emails and letters, feeding my bumper sticker addiction by being visibly out and showing up to meetings to illustrate community determination and involvement.

I think the policy is needed because many people, some school board members included...don't see verbal attacks on gay students as bullying that needs to be stopped. This attitude is a prime example of the ongoing "gay exception". Derogatory comments about gays are not met with the same level of outrage as slurs based or race or religion. People like Kaye McGarry substitute their own personal religious beliefs to excuse and allow gay taunting to go on unpunished. There have been documented cases nationwide of teachers losing their jobs for intervening in gay harassment, supporting pro-gay articles in student newspapers and so on and so on. Teachers and staff need to know that they are backed by CMS when they take a stand against gay harassment toward students and this policy would give them that support.

Edited by voyager12

I think the policy is needed because many people, some school board members included...don't see verbal attacks on gay students as bullying that needs to be stopped. This attitude is a prime example of the ongoing "gay exception". Derogatory comments about gays are not met with the same level of outrage as slurs based or race or religion. People like Kaye McGarry substitute their own personal religious beliefs to excuse and allow gay taunting to go on unpunished. There have been documented cases nationwide of teachers losing their jobs for intervening in gay harassment, supporting pro-gay articles in student newspapers and so on and so on. Teachers and staff need to know that they are backed by CMS when they take a stand against gay harassment toward students and this policy would give them that support.

I think it also forces those like McGarry to show their true colors. A number of articles and editors letters I read after her recent comments mentioned how glad they were that she wasn't made head of the board. If that opened up just a few eyes I think it is worth it. I don't care what one's personal convictions and opinions are, but when you think they should trump your obligation to ALL students then you shouldn't have a voice on the board. I think it also helped me see Gorman's true colors -- he could easily have avoided this issue.

Besides throwing $225 a plate dinners in convention halls all over the urban fortresses of the United States (where banquet-goers are forced to watch an hour and a half of commercials glorifying Bank of America, Wachovia, American Airlines, etc as they tout how open they are to diversity), can anyone actually tell me what HRC has accomplished for GLBT citizens of this country? I can't think (or find one item on the Internet) of anything. They did give the movement a nifty logo, but beyond that, I'm at a loss.

Besides throwing $225 a plate dinners in convention halls all over the urban fortresses of the United States (where banquet-goers are forced to watch an hour and a half of commercials glorifying Bank of America, Wachovia, American Airlines, etc as they tout how open they are to diversity), can anyone actually tell me what HRC has accomplished for GLBT citizens of this country? I can't think (or find one item on the Internet) of anything. They did give the movement a nifty logo, but beyond that, I'm at a loss.

I can't say with much certainty, but without them would the marriage issues and other discrimination issues be in the national spotlight or in front of legislators? I really don't know, but no one else is that high up pushing the rights of the gay and lesbian community like they are on a national level. Maybe they haven't done anything, but without the HRC I'm not sure much of this would be out there at all. Like any PAC, they give their 'people' a common voice that would be difficult without a core organization.

They did give the movement a nifty logo, but beyond that, I'm at a loss.

Indeed and it is a real good question. It pretty much agree with you on the nature of the question. Real Gay advocacy groups disappeared, unfortunately, in the 1980s when the focus moved to AIDs. The fact the Human Rights Campaign hides behind a name that doesn't even have the words Gay or Lesbian, speaks volumes to the amount of skin they are really willing tp put into the game.

You have to hand it to them about the logo...it's become the default symbol of the gay rights struggle. I have come to the conclusion that like it or not they are our largest voice on the national level. It makes much more sense to be a member and fight for what you want changed than to be on the outside with no say. The past year was certainly not a banner one for HRC because of the transgender exclusion from the ENDA bill. Transgender protestors are going to be present at this year's dinner and will be handing literature to make their case. It's true that HRC is a classic insider DC org that often loses perspective outside of the blue urban bubbles that the leaders live in. In most cases, recent political victories nationwide have come from grassroots groups in the states. Equality Arizona defeated the marriage amendment after HRC National left them for dead because Arizona was considered too red to have a chance. Even in Massachusetts a local group called GLAD did most of the heavy lifting. Basic Rights Oregon achieved parity for residents in that state after years of solo lobbying. HRC is needed to schmooze and network on the federal level and they parachute in for fundraisers and certain elections. But they don't bring it home in the end. The people most affected on the ground do.

Maybe it is just me, maybe I'm somewhat jaded or maybe I'm too patient, maybe I have too many straight friends and family members who don't care if I'm gay or not, but I see small steps and small victories as the way to go anyway. This has nothing to do with HRC actually, but my personal overall perspective. I think the big deal about Gay Marriage in 2003 and 2004 brought me to this -- if we go and try and change too much at once we unite those against us and give the idiots a rally point and cry.

For as happy as we all were (I even got married to my partner in Central Park that year in a multi-denominational service for about 30 couples -- June 26th 2004) for the publicity and the trickle of marriages that happened legally in a few places, the backlash was extreme and swift. Bumper stickers, state legislation, proposed changes to the constitution. Not that I believe that we should be hidden or don't have a right to be as public about the rights we all have as anyone else, but I think the end goal is more important. Equal rights -- the same as anyone else has in this country. If a slow progress is made, much like the one that made mixed marriage since the civil rights movement eventually become a non-issue, then I am actually fine with that. If we come at full force and unite a fight against us that actually takes longer then, IMO, we haven't accomplished anything.

Like mixed marriage, and this is already true for plenty of Americans in their mid-20's and younger, one day gay relationships, marriage / unions / whatever, will not be a big deal.

A black man and a white woman are the top 2 contenders in the Democratic Presidential race and those two facts (black and woman) about them are taking back seat to the overall fight for the top spot. This country has progressed -- not enough -- but it has and will continue to do so. When did this sneak up on us? If someone would have asked you if this scenario was possible just 4 or 8 years ago would you have been like me and said 'no chance'? We'll have our rights and it will sneak up on us, but enough small steps like Arizona, San Francisco, Massachusetts, and other little battles in the big battle will get us there.

You have to hand it to them about the logo...it's become the default symbol of the gay rights struggle. ......
If so, then the Gay rights struggle is probably over.

20 years ago this was the symbol.

2wgvpxw.gif

The point of advocacy is to bring to the front burner in the people's minds that there is indeed an injustice being done. You can't do that hiding behind clever names and logos that can can mean pretty much anything. Many leaders in the Gay community have gotten too complacent because beyond not having certain legal status, there really isn't that much about being Gay that is as oppressive as it was just a generation ago when people were fighting for the acceptance that we have now.

Many leaders in the Gay community have gotten to complacent because beyond not having certain legal status, there really isn't that much about being Gay that is as oppressive as it was just a generation ago when people were fighting for the acceptance that we have now.

I do agree with this, but wonder how much is being done behind the scenes. When the legal marriage stuff came up in 2003 and 2004, I think most of us weren't aware of how many lawyers and activists had been searching state and local laws to find ones that had loopholes that actually allowed the process to include us. Once they were found, suits were filed, marriage licenses were applied for, and it blew up nationally. That was all behind the scenes. Now I'm not saying I'm privy to any of this, but would assume it is still going on somewhere (the searching and the attempts to find a foothold).

I also believe a Democratic President with a Democratic Congress will help -- can't say I think they'll take the plunge to make it all right over night -- but the days of Constitutional Amendments and general political harrassment seem to be over (maybe much of that because everyone realized how many Christian Right leaders and GOP members of Congress were secretly gay).

I agree the emphasis has switched to personal issues that affect daily life since the days of no choice but the closet are over. That is amazing progress accomplished far before my time but we still have a long way to go, especially in the South and in conservative cities like our own. FL has a marriage amendment on the upcoming ballot. Arkansas has proposed ban on gay adoption on the ballot. Also, I was not saying the HRC logo was historically the gay rights symbol. In recent years as the HRC equal sign has been popularized by the media it has become a symbol of being gay aside from the group itself. I often see HRC stickers in store windows when I travel.

Edited by voyager12

[The HRC] are our largest voice on the national level. It makes much more sense to be a member and fight for what you want changed than to be on the outside with no say. The past year was certainly not a banner one for HRC because of the transgender exclusion from the ENDA bill. Transgender protestors are going to be present at this year's dinner and will be handing literature to make their case. It's true that HRC is a classic insider DC org that often loses perspective outside of the blue urban bubbles that the leaders live in. In most cases, recent political victories nationwide have come from grassroots groups in the states.

So this begs the question, is it better to throw support behind Equality NC? Because of their efforts and moderates and a scattering of liberals in the State Legislature, NC remains one of two states in the South where a constitutional amendment has not made it to the voters.

It does make the most sense to support the folks that directly impact your life in your hometown. I can see the argument that HRC does not callously ignore gay rights proposals in red states, to them it's a political calculus on where they can make the most progress in the shortest amount of time. This mindset explains their relatively hands off attitude toward US Senate Candidate Jim Neal here in NC.

I went to the first reading of the gay inclusive anti-bullying rule last night. First off, I commend all the members of the school board for being willing to deal with arcane minutiae on a regular basis. It's truly mind blowing and headache inducing. During the public comments period the first speaker gave a great speech encouraging the school board to take a strong stand in favor of all children the same way civil rights for all races were achieved in the past. Then a very eloquent statement was made by a senior and president of Providence High's GSA. In between a local gadfly who is always present to rail against homosexuality spoke. I know that everyone has the right to speak their minds in this country no matter how much one disagrees. He proceeded to present the most insulting and degrading falsehoods about gay life that I have ever heard. And I have heard a lot. My emotions got the best of me and I rolled my eyes, made the talky talky symbol with my hands and flicked him off twice. I was sitting on the front row center with the editor of Q Notes and the head of Meckpac. The police officer in the meeting chamber came over and threatened me with arrest if I did anything else so I just sat on my hands the rest of the time there. If a teenager has the courage to speak out so strongly to a semi-hostile audience, I a 30 year old man should be able to behave myself. Nobody is perfect but heckling accomplishes nothing and makes our community look bad and just immature as those we disagree with. So during the full hearing and vote on the 11th which will probably be even more rancorous I will stand in the back and go out in the hall if I feel upset. :stop: I do hope there is a larger turnout for that important meeting. Emails and notices will be going out and up.

Edited by voyager12

In reference to bullying GLBT kids. I wanted to add that Queen City Theatre Co. is currently running "Dog Sees God" at Spirit Square which deals pretty much squarley with that topic. I don't want to give away any spoilers but I would suggest getting out to see it if you're at all interested in the topic. And go out and support local theatre, they need your support! I also know that I've read a lot of gay folk complaining about the lack of activities in town not bar related. There is almost always a GLBT themed live theatre show going on in town. Get out more!

Here's the website:www.queencitytheatre.com

You can find a review in Creative Loafing or The Observer.

Edited by appatone