Charlotte Pride

voyager12

I don't think that Obama will run into nearly as much opposition over this as Clinton did. I predict it will happen within couple months of his inauguration

I think that to a certain degree the country has grown up since 1993. Not saying that things are perfect, but at least from my perspective (not gay) acceptance of gays is on the rise. Of course there will be a very vocal opposition, but I think the percentage of the US that either doesn't care anymore, or views this opposition as standing in the way of civil rights, is larger than it was 16 years ago.

^ You are straight...oh, I did not know...not that there is anything wrong with that.... :rofl:

I tend to agree with Queensguys view. From what I have heard Obama is committed to repealing DADT. Pragmatism is quickly becoming a hallmark of his incoming administration. So I have read that he is going to kick it into commitee with the military for the forseeable future. In order to gain a consensus view. I suppose this is wise in the long haul. And like so many of our goals regarding gay rights it's never happening fast enough.

Edited by voyager12

A reminder that Charlotte City Manager Curt Walton is speaking to the guild on Tuesday. $15 for members and $25 for guests. The event is going to be held at the community center @ the back of the music factory. Doors open at 5:30 and the speaker usually gets underway about an hour later.

Should be interesting. Curt Walton has a good reputation for being openminded. And the City Manager holds large sway with the mayor and council in our form of city gvt. So much is in flux with the upcoming election though.

Also, a week from today Takeover Friday and The Charlotte Lesbian and Gay fund are co-sponsoring a party at The Mint Museum on Randolph. Featuring work from Andy Warhol. Starts at 7:00. No charge for the event. Cash bar.

The Charlotte Lesbian and Gay Fund is a collective giving program of The Foundation for The Carolinas.

Also, a week from today Takeover Friday and The Charlotte Lesbian and Gay fund are co-sponsoring a party at The Mint Museum on Randolph. Featuring work from Andy Warhol. Starts at 7:00. No charge for the event. Cash bar.

Awesome! I want to see the Warhol exhibit anyway...might as well make it out to a Takeover.

You guys may or may not have heard this, but msnbc did a story yesterday that said that as soon as Obama takes office, he will issue an order that will remove all restrictions on Gays and Lesbians serving in the US Military. If this does indeed happen then it will mark a fundamental change on the official view of our community by the US government. It will certainly be a marked change from the simply horrendously bad treatment that we got, officially, under Reagan, Bush I and Bush II.

I am glad that Charlotte and the state turned out the vote for Obama.

What are your examples of "horrendously bad treatment" received under Ragan, Bush I, and Bush II. Was it worse than Clinton's "Don't ask, don't tell" which I found as horrendously hypocritical and insulting to gays? I think that Obama needs to anticipate serious problems if he jumps into military issues. This goes beyond EEO.

Well, not my generation but I have always thought Reagan to be responsible for countless deaths from AIDS. His refusal to even say the word or fund research and outreach was criminal. It's hard to get more horrendous than that.'

Bush I unlike his son towed a more traditional Country Club Republican stance toward gays. He did nothing for us or helped to advance the cause. But he did not go out of his way personally to attack us to gain political points. He basically ignored our existence while continuing to appoint advisers and directors that did not support us.

Our currrent (not for much longer thank god) Bush went out of his way to bash Gay Americans throughout his administration to curry favor with his base. His reelection campaign was rife with homophobic attacks. I felt personally attacked by my own President, and as an American it made me loathe him even more. He shamelessly promoted The Federal Marriage Amendment when he knew there was no chance of passing. He parroted the idiocy about "morale" if DADT is lifted. And on and on and on.

Obama is not the savior for Gay Americans he has already screwed up several times. But he is willing to engage and supports us on a myriad of issues outside of marriage. There really is no comparison to Republicans. DADT is not a serious military "issue' it's ridiculous on the face of it. Our closest ally, the UK has had openly gay soldiers serving for decades along with much of Western Europe. Somehow I think our armed forces will survive openly gay servicemembers too.

In many cases they already are, surveys show that most soliders could care less.

Edited by voyager12

Against my better judgment I went to hear the City Manager speak this evening hoping we would have a breakthrough. Perhaps it was afterglow from the positive vibe I feel today having a fresh start after 8 dark years.

Silly me. SNORT :angry: Crashing back to jaded reality I come. I heard the same old BS we always get when City officials deign to speak to us. Since we are such a "hot button" in this town. ( Putting aside the sad reality of that state of affairs in a "world class city", laughable compared to the majority of our peers)

City Manager Curt Walton first told us that the City can't afford to give us a domestic partner benefits. Funny that straight people 's health benefits are not tied to economic concerns. Equal rights should not be tied to the economy for anyone. Period.

Not to mention there are several towns in this state and across the country that manage this quite well.

Then he says that the City Attorney has long held the opinion that the City Council can't do anything to extend domestic partner benefits or anti-discrimination protection. Because the State Constitution does not explicitly allow it.

Uh well, Orange County, Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro, Winston-Salem and a few more all manage this quite well.

The truth of the matter is that he does not have the courage to do what is right and take a stand. So he says "go to the state". Walton and the City Attorney know full well that North Carolina of all states is not going to change their constitution to include gay rights. But this excuse gives them political cover to hide under.

I told him straight out that it was copout and it felt good. I got quoted for an article in Q-Notes too! :hi:

The City government's blind spot in regard to gay rights is so antithetical to the "can do spirit" that otherwise energizes us. And I realize that progress has been made. But as a City Employee mentioned tonight, there are none and never have been openly gay leaders in any city dept or council. Gay city employees are ignored and passed over. It's considered too "controversial" for Charlotte for them to have equal rights like their straight counterparts.

In more good news..( add sarcasm here) Exodus International, the largest ex-gay con operation around is coming to town for the HRC Gala Dinner. Isn't that nice? In response we are holding protests at Central Church of God on Sardis where they are meeting. And we are having a vigil supporting equal rights and love for all @ Trade&Tryon next month. I will post details as the events draw closer.

Goodnight, I need to stop typing the negativity. Let out a nice primal scream of frustration and go to bed.

Edited by voyager12

I think the lesson learned is that we have to win the hearts and minds of a majority on City Council and the future Mayor. Given the likely sustained Council majority and mayoral successor, it appears the greatest roadblock is outreach to the African-American community. Hopefully, the change expected in Washington (ending Don't Ask/Don't Tell by Executive Order, signing federal non-discrimination protection inevitably passed with ENDA into law) by an African-American will help. Talking and strategizing locally with our strongest locally elected allies Burgess and Roberts about building African-American support would help too. And we should start now, given McCrory's lameduck status, and more importantly, candidate Foxx emerging as unchallenged, or at least strongest contender, among the Dems.

Quick question about this...can anyone attend? A few of us are planning on going uptown Friday evening for Rusan's and I thought this would be something in the neighborhood that would be fun to do.

It's true that City Council has the theoretical final say but I also learned last night that this body is not very independent. I ragged on the City Manager yesterday but in hindsight he is not an elected politician. He is a bureaucrat who wants to keep his job. He won't touch this issue. In our form of city gvt the Manager sets the agenda. So we are a bit stuck. It was very dissapointing. Equally so the City Attorney. He has apparently been there for years and won't budge either. He uses the " State does not specifically allow it "argument. Well "it's" been allowed across The Triangle for years, the seat of state power. This is the same tired trick that Kaye McGarry tried to pull to block passage of the gay inclusive CMS policy last year. Almost the identical words as I was in the audience for that marathon session last year and heard her.

If Charlotte was an outlier or trailblazer in this regard it would still be wrong but in a more understandable context of the "first one and we are charting new territory" vein We are the laggard though. The biggest and most diverse metro in the state with nothing on the books on the City level.

What got me the most was Walton stating that adding anti-discrimination to city policy was out too because that's "tied into economic problems with partner benefits". I would love for him to explain the economic fallout the County has experienced by having an anti-discrimination policy based on sexual orientation. I guess he has no conception of how insulting this is.

Finally, with City Council perhaps there is hope with the election coming up. Not too optimistic though. I have dutifully studied the Meckpac guide and voted in "friendly" candidates Susan Burgess At Large , and Patsy Kinsey for my district for years and years. And they are going to win this time around. With or without my support, but unless I am missing something they have never come forward and mentioned our issues in public. They take campaign contributions for sure though.

Unless there is substantive change on City Council they will continue to hide behind The City Manager and City Attorney's inane position.

Luckily, the County Commission had Jennifer Roberts, Parks Helms, and Wilhemenia Rembert on board to pass their anti-discrimination protection. Those are politicians that were willing to take the heat.

City Council has no one like that.

True to what I was told a few months ago, the Observer notes that Jennifer Roberts brought up domestic partner benefits at the MCC retreat. Of course Bill James could not deal with it. It's not going to be proposed until later in the Spring but it's a good idea to get the idea circulating now. The current composition of the board should make passage likely. We shall see.

I can't believe I am typing this.....but for the first time I can recall the "comments" section of the O regarding the benefits debate is actually worth reading. Of course there are a few hateful posts but usually it's the reverse. Perhaps it's some kind of progress.

The vote last night does not surprise me in the least. Bentley and Cooksey's ignorance is astounding. Bill James is never a surprise. Research into this issue should bolster the majority's argument. I am sure there will be theatrics in the Spring when this comes up for a vote, like what went on during the CMS bullying debate. One would hope that the county's slow but steady progress would rub off on the City. But there is a unbridgeable chasm thanks to The City Manager and City Attorney. The "gay friendy" city council members can't think for themselves long enough to do the right thing.

I can't believe I am typing this.....but for the first time I can recall the "comments" section of the O regarding the benefits debate is actually worth reading. Of course there are a few hateful posts but usually it's the reverse. Perhaps it's some kind of progress.

. The "gay friendy" city council members can't think for themselves long enough to do the right thing.

[/q

I am asking this question out of pure curiosity. Do heterosexual couples qualify for benefits and if so, what qualifies them? If they qualify, I think that homosexual couples should qualify if the same guidelines are met excluding an gender specific requirements.

Edited by caterpillar2

Well, as the County continues to study the issue they are going to look into making benefits available to unmarried heteros as well. There are a host of situations that could qualify depending on the home life situation. So it's fine with me. I emailed every member of City Council last week. Politely and bluntly asked them why they have not even broached the subject publicly for years. Just putting it out there with a statement would help. Have not heard back from any of them. The same silence I usually get from all modes of communication. I guess they only respond to praise for pretending and taking no action. Well sometimes playing along goes nowhere, the BS gets tired. At least those that are politically against are authentic in their opposition. I get that. I don't "get' or respect Susan Burgess and Nancy Carter, and Patsy Kinsey etc. They take Meckpac money during election season attend the HRC gala every year to get patted on the head and do nothing.

Edited by voyager12

Well, as the County continues to study the issue they are going to look into making benefits available to unmarried heteros as well. There are a host of situations that could qualify depending on the home life situation. So it's fine with me. I emailed every member of City Council last week. Politely and bluntly asked them why they have not even broached the subject publicly for years. Just putting it out there with a statement would help. Have not heard back from any of them. The same silence I usually get from all modes of communication. I guess they only respond to praise for pretending and taking no action. Well sometimes playing along goes nowhere, the BS gets tired. At least those that are politically against are authentic in their opposition. I get that. I don't "get' or respect Susan Burgess and Nancy Carter, and Patsy Kinsey etc. They take Meckpac money during election season attend the HRC gala every year to get patted on the head and do nothing.

If a couple of either persuasion has been steady long enough that would qualify them as "common law" marriage how ever long that is, the indications are that they are stable and not people looking to misappropriate funds. That is just a qualification I threw in. But there are things that prove that couples have a legally binding connection, I.E. joint mortages, etc. that should be enough to qualify the couple.

My employer (private) does offer domestic benefits to Gay couples who can't get married in their states. North Carolina as we know is a state where this discrimination takes place so it qualifies. My employer does not offer benefits to unmarried straight couples. In order for a Gay couple to get benefits, they have to go get a statement notarized saying they are a couple and place it on file. They may ask for other proof that you are a couple but I have never had them do so.

The argument was made when they extended these benefits, more than a decade ago, that this action was unfair to un-married straight couples. (like what is being suggested above) They counter by saying the unnmarried couple can get married. In states where Gay marriage gets passed, the Gay couple is also required to get a state legal marriage to keep the benefits.

In addition to this inequality, myself and my partner are self-employed. We have been together 6 years, 'married' for 4 of them (ceremony, rings, and all) but can't get joint benefits that we are willing to pay for from any insurance carrier. We have to buy separate policies or set up a sham business together to qualify as business partners. We opt for separate policies and pay more to do so because it isn't the same type of policy a traditional married couple can easily get.

I am excited about the newly formed Charlotte Rainbow Action Network for Equality (CRANE) @ rainbowaction.org. We have long needed a grassroots visible direct action gay rights group in this town. Fundraising events are crucial but we need balance, I love waving signs on streetcorners! Please participate!

Upcoming events include:

On Feb 14

"Light a Candel for Love' 7pm to 8:30 @ Trade&Tryon to raise awareness on the rights of all people to be loved regardless of sexual orientation and gender identity. Followed by

Valetine Social at Community Center

Feb 19th "Pray away the gay" Truth Wins Out activist Wayne Besen speaks at Community Center 7pm (small donation at door)

Feb 21 Protest of Exodus Intl conference at Central Church of God corner of Fairview@Randolph before Fairview turns into Sardis. 11am to 2pm.

"Those wishing to attend the protest are highly encouraged to attend the Feb. 19 presentation with Wayne Besen, after which CRANE will hold a short non-violence training in preparation for the protest. This non-violent, silent protest will be conducted with full non-violence of thought, word and deed. Participants will be asked to sign a statement indicating they understand the protest will be conducted in non-violence and silence. Those who cannot sign the statement will be asked to not participate."

^ Well, I have always thought the whole point of protesting is to get your point across. LOUDLY. Other protests for gay rights I have done in Asheville and Chapel Hill have been all about chanting or singing. Harrumph. Well visibility is the key so I will sign the statement and behave because I don't want to get kicked out of the group.

Edited by voyager12

Wow. I didn't know this group had been formed, thanks for the info. Glad about the protest as well -- not much of a protester here, but would like to attend this. We attended the No To Prop 8 rally after the election and were delighted to see the turnout. Maybe this is a tipping point for Charlotte. I've always wondered since church groups disrupt and protest our events and gatherings why we don't do the same. I bet they don't feel as certain about the rights to be on or near their grounds or the right to be there as they do when they harrass us.

^ Well, what's good for the gander is good for the gay. They wave signs at our events so we can do the same for them. About time too.

After listening to City Manager Walton tells us with a straight face (no pun intended) that the City can't pass a sexual orientation non-discrimination ordinance because of economics, I emailed each council member to get their take. Asking why there has been no movement on this issue or domestic partner benefits.

Over a week later only Republicans John Lassiter and Andy Dulin responded. Actually "response" is charitable. Lassiter only said "thanks for your input". That's it. Dulin was the same. Seeing as how Lassiter may be our next Mayor. I asked him for more information and got another gem. He said the last City Manager studied this issue and he has "no position". I don't think you can get any more lame than that. Should not be too surprised. Lassiter is good buddies with McCrory so he is simply adopting the current Mayor's total refusal to acknowledge the gay community's existence in this town and our right to equal treatment. No one else on Council even bothered to reply including our ostensible "supporters". No response from Democratic mayoral candidate Anthony Foxx. I can be partisan at times but in this case my disgust crosses all political lines.

Edited by voyager12

The O reports a maintenance worker employed by the City has sued claiming transgender discrimination. Good for her for going public. Hopefully it will spur more dialogue on the local and federal level. I find it impossible for her to win though. She has no legal standing at all. The City of Charlotte's official legal stance has no issue with discrimination against GLBT Charlotteans and federal law backs them up.

Charlotte Rainbow Action Network for Equality (CRANE) had an event at The Square tonight. We handed out flyers advocating equality for GLBT Americans. The turnout was small but that's not surprising. It felt great to do something to increase visibility and discussion of gay rights on the local level. And it sure felt much better than staying home and feeling lonely on Valentine's Day. I only had one guy glare at me. Most of the others were fairly polite in declining. Compared to the Code Pink Anti-War protests I did last year where we were called every name in the book and flicked off constantly, this was tame. I told people that shrank away in disgust that taking a flyer won't turn you gay. Best of all, a young hetero family stopped and the dad gave his daughter a dollar to walk over and donate. Felt great. Reminded me that not all parents teach their kids that we are immoral or to be feared and avoided. Fox Charlotte sent a crew to cover us. And Tonya Jameson from the O was there. No other media showed. I am not a big fan of national Fox News but Fox Charlotte has a good record of coverage on our issues. Trade&Tryon is a vortex of wind. :cold: Almost felt like Chicago tonight. Overall I am glad I participated, large or small we can make a difference.

Also...( gay news is breaking out left and right these days) Presbyterian leaders representing Charlotte voted narrowly last night to allow for gays to function as pastors and clergy. The national vote is still ahead.

Edited by voyager12

The Rowan County Commission voted unanimously this week to support an amendment banning gay marriage in North Carolina. The annual attempt to get this to a vote begins. NC remains the only Southern state not to have a ban in place. This drives the fundamentalists nuts. Prop 8 has only emboldened them.

Part of this year's strategy is to put pressure on county councils across the state to pass resolutions in favor of the ban. Aside from Rowan, I am told that this issue is going to be put on the agenda for Madison and Transylvania counties next. Of course the focus will be on rural areas which are more conservative. On the homefront this tactic has no chance of passage on the MCC. It's important to know that the amendment would also ban civil unions and similar to what happened in Michigan retroactively ban schools and businesses from offering domestic partner benefits. Every year this comes up the Democrats allied with us in the Statehouse have been able to kill it in committee preventing a floor vote. Hopefully this approach will work again. This our only recourse as most Democrats and the Republicans would vote to support this ban. And it would pass if put on the ballot.

A reminder for tomorrow.....

Pray Away the Gay Feb. 19, 2009, 7 p.m.

Lesbian & Gay Community Center of Charlotte

820 Hamilton St., Suite B-11, Charlotte, NC 28206

Join activist and Truth Wins Out executive director Wayne Besen for an entertaining and engaging, but serious, look into the harm caused by so-called

Edited by voyager12

I have definitely indugled my activist addiction this week. Wayne Besen's presentation about the ex-gay industry on Thurday night was very informative and there was a pretty full house.

Went to Takeover at The Westin last night and found it funny that the conservative John Locke Foundation based in the Triangle was having a conference at the same time. I don't think either side got too confused. The differences were rather apparent :lol:

This afternoon I participated in the protest in front of The Central Church of God on Fairview. They hosted Exodus Intl. The turnout was not large but we got mostly supportive beeps from motorists. A few attendees came over and were trying to be all "christian" or their version of it. I suppose it was a civil thing to do but I could not be nice in return. I just get so enraged inside when they start speaking their poison and I can't hold back. I so went off on a few of them. I grew up in a very accepting environment. My parents yawned when I told them and we went out to dinner. I guess I know of and have heard about too many horror stories so I let loose. I suppose it made me look bad today but I just can't deal with it. This is why I stay grassroots based and can't be part of a leadership or formal dialogue. I can't be politic and respectful of such moronic idiocy. Not going to repeat what they said here because it will only anger me again.

Edited by voyager12