Charlotte Pride

voyager12

For City Council I thnk we need to start back at Square 1 and get them to approve adding Sexual Orientation to the Non Discrimination policy. I think there is enough political suport on the Council to at least get this done.

In our recent interview with Anthony Foxx, he said he supports adding sexual orientation to the non-discrimination policy, but as far as domestic partner benefits for city employees, he only went so far to say it is something the city should study. That answer is about the best the GLBT community can hope for in a mayoral candidate at this point.

Here's the full video of the interview, tag number 11 if you want to skip ahead to the question about domestic partner benefits and non-discrimination.

Edited by InitialD

Thank you for the info! I actually submitted the question regarding DP's but was too jaded from past interactions to go to cltblog and find the answer. His answer on employee policies is a good sign, would have to see how it played out with others if he wins. And I expected eqivocation on benefits. It fits with what I have heard from others. Lassiter responded to an email of mine stating that he has no position on these issues. How concise and clear of him :dontknow:

Edited by voyager12

I have such a hard time understanding Charlotte. Especially political Charlotte. Almost 1 million people live in Meck county. 1 of the worlds largest banks is based here and the over-all attitude of Charlotte leaders is that they want people to move here from other places. Not having DP benefits in Charlotte is embaressing. When I moved to the area in 1995 I had so much hope for me finding a place in this city. 14 yrs later I no longer have that hope. Charlotte may be many things, but to truly be accepted here you must fit a very strict profile of which I do not fit, nor do I care to fit.

All of the major employers Uptown, including the Mayor's former one, have benefits and protection. But luckily, Pat will soon be history. It's the upcoming mayoral campaign where this issue may make a difference

Both Foxx and Lassiter have a chance to pick up votes in what is shaping up as a close race. If Foxx runs to the middle (which he will), it will be good for Lassiter to appear less socially conservative than his predecessor. And if Lassiter is deemed a natural "McCrory-lite" successor (which he will), then Foxx will need to shore up his Democratic base and attract socially minded moderates, while still (if not to offset) wooing business interests. Ultimately, if neither is willing to take a stance, campaign to leave that ballot as void as their backbones, truly hurting Foxx more. But I bet you, Foxx, if not both, will at least pledge non-discrimination. Benefits may have to be more weakly promised as not to be vetoed if passing Council, with Carter or Burgess more likely leading that charge.

I think it's hard to deny that the Iowa decision in our favor marked a major turning point in the gay rights struggle from a national perspective. I certainly felt a shift. And the the string of victories ( we will get back CA in time) including today in New Hampshire has continued to power our momentum.

Would like to think that this positive change can filter down to the local level here in Charlotte. I suppose just having the conversation and getting increasing notice of our issues is a good step in and of itself. It's certainly a frustrating slog and one gets irritated when traveling to other growing and aspiring cities where these questions are responded to with shock that we are so far behind.

It seems that more value is put on "seeming" than "being" in this town. A reluctance to really engage. I think too many people believe that everything gay related was resolved in our favor after the Angels in America funding decision was reversed. But the fear to take a strong public stand for gay Charlotteans is still palpable on City Council.

Meanwhile, the County Commission is expected to vote and most likely pass DP benefits in late summer and early fall. Maybe this will inspire....I ain't banking on it though. Definitely no pun intended.

I have such a hard time understanding Charlotte. Especially political Charlotte. Almost 1 million people live in Meck county. 1 of the worlds largest banks is based here and the over-all attitude of Charlotte leaders is that they want people to move here from other places. Not having DP benefits in Charlotte is embaressing. When I moved to the area in 1995 I had so much hope for me finding a place in this city. 14 yrs later I no longer have that hope. Charlotte may be many things, but to truly be accepted here you must fit a very strict profile of which I do not fit, nor do I care to fit.

While the statistics you give are correct and looks good on paper, it misses the point that Charlotte is located in the middle of one of the most Red, wing-nut controlled areas of this country. So what this means is there is a fairly large indigenous population, in this area that simply does not believe in Gay rights and still thinks we either need to be "Saved", committed, or locked up in jail. Some of these people even post on UrbanPlanet. We also have a very large population of well off right wingers, mostly transplants, that attend the large evangelical churches where this sort of thing is discussed almost constantly. Calvary, for example, used to sell books on curing the Gay disease (I was given one from there once from someone looking to fix me), and I believe they had a branch of Exodus. Keep in mind that Bill James comes from one of the most affluent parts of the county.

Until NationsBank took over BankAmerica in SF to become BofA, if you were Gay and wanted a career there, you needed to stay deep in the closet. Unfortunately it's still that way in a lot of Charlotte.

Most of the acceptance that Gays and Lesbians have gained in Charlotte over the years have come mostly due to changes at the national level and changing attitudes in general.

To echo Monsoon's point about lack of visibility in Charlotte, several speakers at our recent march mentioned those who wanted to attend but could not risk being seen on camera or in any media for fear of losing their job. This is still a problem nationwide but it's more acute in conservative areas.

I snagged a flyer today promoting "Rainbow Fest" in NoDa celebrating Stonewall's Anniversary. I thought it was more of an open air public street fair. In actuality the program is limited to the Salvador Deli courtyard and Alive @ Highland Mill. The advance entry fee is $20 and $30 day of. I know it's a business venture and they need to make some money, hope they do well but I am definitely taking a pass. A little too pricey for me. I can personally reflect on this day, cost free.

Found this info on Pam's House Blend this AM. It's a top ranked LGBT blog by Pam Spaulding based out of Durham. I check it every day. Looks like our local opponents have come up with a new idea to "save" us. On the upside maybe this means we won't have people screaming bible verses at us. Most likely that will still happen along with this new event.

JOIN US FOR A HISTORIC RALLY IN UPTOWN CHARLOTTE ON JULY 25TH!

GOD HAS A BETTER WAY!

What

This rally is a Spirit-birthed response to Charlotte's annual gay pride event. More than one thousand believers will be gathering to worship the Lord, intercede in prayer, and proclaim that "God Has a Better Way"! Nothing like this has ever been done in conjunction with a gay pride event in any city before, and those who join together on this day will be part of history in the making.

Who

Everyone can be involved! If you love Jesus and are walking with Him, then you qualify. We need worshipers, intercessors, musicians, soul-winners, walkers, talkers, and believers of every age, color, and size to stand together as a prophetic witness to our society. Everything we do will be law-abiding, safe, and honoring to the Lord in spirit and in word.

Why

We have a unique opportunity to make an impact in our city that will be felt around the country. In the last five years, gay activism in Charlotte has been confronted with compassion and truth, and we have seen significant changes take place. In January, 2009, Focus on the Family's Citizen magazine carried a story called, "Something New in Charlotte," highlighting the work that has been in done in Charlotte and pointing to it as a model for other cities. We can send a wave of encouragement to our brothers and sisters across the nation!

Edited by voyager12

When I read things like that ^ yes. They also have a Facebook page up but I did not feel like checking it out. Something tells me that there might not be "thousands" of attendees. But we shall see. It's certainly their right to express their beliefs.

Charlotte does seem singularly blessed ( insert sarcasm) with an entrenched opposition not found in other large metros in the region. I have been to various events besides Pride in the triad,triangle,columbia and in the mountains. By and large they don't have groups counterprogramming every single gay related event they hold. And their city administrations support their events with promotion and appearances. Two years ago Jennifer Roberts spoke to us but that's been it. Susan Burgess had her campaign set up a booth but she never showed up in person. That would have been too supportive.

Tonya Jameson recently had an article in the O profiling Owen Sutkowski. He said some of his "supporters" had told him to stay closeted and not answer personal questions during his campaign for City Council. He obviously disagreeed but defended their motivation and is not planning on including any references to equal rights in his platform. I can understand his viewpoint.But given the glaring absence of any inclusive local ordinances in this city regarding our equality, I think he has an obligation to point this inequity out in the context of what we need to move this city forward. I don't think this a "radical left wing" or "divisive" approach but that's what treating gay people equal is considered in this "world class city". Sad.

Edited by voyager12

Charlotte Pride needs to send an SOS out to the national LGBT and progressive community and make this into a national event rather than a local one. Charlotter needs ask for support and attendance from people in Raleigh, Richmond, DC, baltimore, Philly, and the rest of the country to beat back these troglodyte bullies. Progressive blogs need to be alerted about this and utilized tpward staging massive progressive turnout in CLT.

When I read things like that ^ yes. They also have a Facebook page up but I did not feel like checking it out. Something tells me that there might not be "thousands" of attendees. But we shall see. It's certainly their right to express their beliefs.

Charlotte does seem singularly blessed ( insert sarcasm) with an entrenched opposition not found in other large metros in the region. I have been to various events besides Pride in the triad,triangle,columbia and in the mountains. By and large they don't have groups counterprogramming every single gay related event they hold. And their city administrations support their events with promotion and appearances. Two years ago Jennifer Roberts spoke to us but that's been it. Susan Burgess had her campaign set up a booth but she never showed up in person. That would have been too supportive..........

It's been a number of years since I marched in the NC pride marches and I do remember a some protesters in Durham, but I don't ever recall seeing them in Chapel Hill/Carrboro when the events were there. But yes, Charlotte isn't a very progressive city. There are progressives in the city, but for the most part the establishment here is dominated by very conservative businesses, surburban soccer families and Texas style politics. It's also obsessed with "material things" and not building communities of people.

And the televised media, which has lost much of it's viewership in the city itself focuses on keeping the people in their markets outside the county so we are talking about programming for the Sarah Palin crowd. The most Gay supportive news person on the air in Charlotte, who was willing to actually willing to say it, was Cullen Ferguson on WSOC who has since retired. Even the Gay news reporters and yes, anchors, here have to look more straight than the really straight ones. No strategically placed diamond piercings on air in Charlotte. Hmm. maybe I am rambling on too much.

Charlotte does seem singularly blessed ( insert sarcasm) with an entrenched opposition not found in other large metros in the region. I have been to various events besides Pride in the triad,triangle,columbia and in the mountains. By and large they don't have groups counterprogramming every single gay related event they hold. And their city administrations support their events with promotion and appearances.

Probably the fact that the national HQ for Operation Save America has something to do with it...The HQ is right in our backyard in Concord. That is why they are putting so much focus on Charlotte Pride...cause it is right in their face.

Probably the fact that the national HQ for Operation Save America has something to do with it...The HQ is right in our backyard in Concord. That is why they are putting so much focus on Charlotte Pride...cause it is right in their face.

Im moving to Canada...Not only can I get married to my partner, but I can smoke a joint the same night(which I dont do, but at least I would have the choice.)

I have to plug two movies( docus) that you might enjoy. Youll either enjoy them or throw something at the tv.

One is called...Jesus Camp....and the other is called..For the Bible tells me so. I actually watched Jesus Camp at Google Video...

It is so scary the hate based religions/organizations that hide behind Jesus/God or whomever else. Anyway, we can only hope that people open their minds and one day think for themselves.

In the last five years, gay activism in Charlotte has been confronted with compassion and truth, and we have seen significant changes take place.

Really? I never viewed people screaming insults at me as a walked into a dinner with my partner as compassionate. Whether they view themselves as the sole holders of The Truth I won't argue one way or another, we all have different opinions, but compassionate? Delusional.

The truth actually is there is a national shift occurring, more in some places than others, but it is going on. Like civil rights and interracial marriage this argument will be moot sometime in the near future. That doesn't mean I'm sitting down waiting for it or that anyone should, but these follks will lose, they just won't face that fact.

Voyager, you may have this sticker also, but if you don't I thought of you when I saw it on the back of a car that also had a few others including rainbow flags: The Fact That You're Mad Makes Me Happy (edit: let me clarify that I'm not happy you are mad...just that they are!! :) )

Edited by Charlotte_native

Im moving to Canada...Not only can I get married to my partner, but I can smoke a joint the same night(which I dont do, but at least I would have the choice.).......

Everyone has to make their choices and this is something we have contemplated too. However the other side of the coin is that I am not going to let a bunch of right nut bigots determine where I live. In the end there are a lot of things to like about this area and that won that argument for us over to stay in the area. There are 1000s of Gays & Lesbians in the county living comfortable lives. It would be nice to be able to get a legal marriage certificate as that solves a number of legal issues, but beyond that I don't feel a need to move. At least not for the reason of escaping christian zealots. Just keep in mind there are bigots everywhere.

As far as the pot is concerned well.... nowhere today will match the 1970s. :shades:

That is a funny sticker CN. I don't have it but it's good to know that there are a few other sticker freaks around. I think we need all types of activism to keep moving forward. Since we span a wide array of groups, we all have different approaches. Simply being out and honest is the best way to be. Denying oneself is so unhealthy. Certainly the crazy stories about closeted husbands with kids and affairs I hear around town boggle my mind and are sad.

Of course coming out of the closet is a different journey for us all and some never open the door. I favor the more in your face route because I am a political junkie in general ,my orientation is still a political issue in this era so I feel the need to be more visible. Any intelligent person should be able to discern that I don't represent the entire gay community. Well at least in Dilworth... the gay couples next door and behind me don't decorate their cars. Bad Bad Gays they are. What's wrong with them? :lol: But they are just as "out" as I. Just not in a rainbow way :fun:

I get good natured ribbing from friends about my car but to be fair the majority are not even gay related. Mostly music and school stickers. I guess since we are still a "hot button" issue they stand out.

I am rambling on........unlike much of the South there are more gay friendly areas of NC I could move to. And some days when I get frustrated by the pace here the grass does look greener. OTOH, being in a conservative area our victories as slow and intermitttent as they come...feel more meaningful than being in a gay friendlier bubble and looking out.

Agree with Monsoon. Even in Chicago, which is pretty immune to diversity, you still get the haters. I've been to a few bars in the closer in burbs (Forest Park/Oak Park) and you get the slurs walking down the street. It's more the straight drunk blue collar boys. Bigotry is alive and well all throughout the country:)

That is a funny sticker CN. I don't have it but it's good to know that there are a few other sticker freaks around. I think we need all types of activism to keep moving forward. Since we span a wide array of groups, we all have different approaches. Simply being out and honest is the best way to be. Denying oneself is so unhealthy. Certainly the crazy stories about closeted husbands with kids and affairs I hear around town boggle my mind and are sad.

Of course coming out of the closet is a different journey for us all and some never open the door. I favor the more in your face route because I am a political junkie in general ,my orientation is still a political issue in this era so I feel the need to be more visible. Any intelligent person should be able to discern that I don't represent the entire gay community. Well at least in Dilworth... the gay couples next door and behind me don't decorate their cars. Bad Bad Gays they are. What's wrong with them? :lol: But they are just as "out" as I. Just not in a rainbow way :fun:

I get good natured ribbing from friends about my car but to be fair the majority are not even gay related. Mostly music and school stickers. I guess since we are still a "hot button" issue they stand out.

I am rambling on........unlike much of the South there are more gay friendly areas of NC I could move to. And some days when I get frustrated by the pace here the grass does look greener. OTOH, being in a conservative area our victories as slow and intermitttent as they come...feel more meaningful than being in a gay friendlier bubble and looking out.

This topic has me very bewildered. I find it hard to believe that such a large metro area full of newcomers to the area still auffers from some sort of 'gay-bigotry." And domestic partnership benefits should be a recocgnizable fact at large companies and financial institutions. When you walk around the city or the mall in Charlotte, is it a big issue for other people tor recognize you and your friend(s) are gay? Central Florida must be an odd place with this issue. Fla doesn't allow gay adoption but gay civil libeterties are abundant, not even necessarily just by law, but by acceptance. In Orlando we have gay suburbanites (no fears or shame) and gay city dwelllers. The smaller city of Orlando and it's historic neighborhoods are just open....? Same as the suburbs, since we have such a sprawling population. Realtors and apartment managers have no problems or warnings once they casually recocgnize you as a couple. If there is a true Gayborhood in Orlando then it is within the city limits and the CBD. Tampa has a more isolated gayborhood "Gayborcity" it is called, but it's historic neighborhoods are full of non discriminated against gays. Hillsborough County is more bigoted, hence the large numbers of gays living in the city. Orange County (Orlando) is so diverse no body has time to notice. OPrangel County has just become Florida's second"non-minority county" after Miami-Dade county. We have no majority race (less than 50% white) and with so many Europeans and Latinos all doing there own thing, sexual orientation doesn't seems to come up. Our other major city in the I-4 corridor (St. Petersburg) is becoming very similar to Orlando, with gays and heteros living within the city as friends and neighbors, Central Ave. is full of multi-sexual clubs and restuarants and shops. The only harraasment there may come from far north Pinellas or Pasco county but haven't seen any incidents or heard of any recently. If Charlotte does get an openly gay identity it may end up like the island of Atlanta. Stay inside the beltway! I hope things start to come around there, I've been hoping to make a move up there one day, but I am just so used to living with the cool, friendly, straight guys and their wives and girl friends and feeling totally safe and unembarrassed about where the conversation may lead. Florida is a strange state, our state government speaks one way and our citizens choose to live another. I can't speak for the panhandle or Jacksonville, butg Metro Orlando south you are totallyu cool.

I don't see or feel any animosity in or around Charlotte for being gay and we certainly don't hide it. I think the main problem here is institutional discrimination. I don't believe most individuals think or care a lot about gay issues here in town. We go out with gay friends to all types of restaurants and bars and I've never seen or heard problems but we can't get married and we don't have same sex partnership benefits. I'm sure if we went to some parts of town it would be different, but as noted above, that can be found in any city. One of the only places I've ever really been harrassed and was called names by a bunch of punks was in uber liberal NYC (actually Brooklyn). I don't think of NYC as bigoted, I just believe there are morons everywhere.

As a whole I think if i polled every gay person I knew they'd say they are concerned about gay issues and want the city/county to recognize the rights of their many gay workers, but that they don't feel the city or most of its people have something specific against gays. It being different if you ask 'do you think religious people are against you...', but that is a different story (and look at California...they have big sway everywhere).

I generally agree with Charlotte Native in the day to day living one's life sense. In my almost 5 years in Charlotte I have only been hit with one severe phobic verbal tirade. Which was brought on by this motorist's anger about my supposedly cutting him off. But I am a good driver. Everyone else is the problem :whistling: Aside from the occasional glare, nasty comment, joke or just the innate sense one can get that I am not welcome ,it's old news for me by now. Living in the South this long....it rolls off like water off a duck's back. To use a Southern term even!

It's mark of how far we have come even in NC, that it's become more socially unacceptable to be openly homophobic. What I hear is that Charlotte is mainly focused on consumption, a bigger house, bigger car, bigger job and the mindset just does not care much about social justice issues. Certainly the various groups I have joined and events we have are usually attended by the same small core. This lack of interest contributes to the slow going on local equality issues. Our opponents remain steadfast against us because we don't come out in force.

So our elected "supporters" are then given cover to give us lip service in private and say nothing on the record, since there is no downside to them stalling on us. Of course there is the money angle. I hear that MECKPAC is going to be tougher in demanding action in this election before endorsing or donating to the same do nothing candidates for City Council. Hope so. We need more cohesion.

To that end the Community Center is holding it's first Community Roundtable on June 23 at 7pm. Discussion is the point but attendees are welcome to listen and no pressure to join in. Doors open at 6:30 and the event will run from 7-9. Bring your own snacks and drinks to share!

Edited by voyager12

I think that the gay community in CLT is too complacent and timid, content with "not being bothered.". This is not enough. This is not 1988. Even gays in Iowa, Gainesville, Montana, Lexington KY, Delaware, Cincinnati, Kalamazoo, and Salt Lake City appear to be more politically ambitious that the CLT gay community. You would think Charlotte was in the Deep South based on its evolution on gay equality.

Edited by DCMetroRaleigh

It's mark of how far we have come even in NC, that it's become more socially unacceptable to be openly homophobic. What I hear is that Charlotte is mainly focused on consumption, a bigger house, bigger car, bigger job and the mindset just does not care much about social justice issues. Certainly the various groups I have joined and events we have are usually attended by the same small core. This lack of interest contributes to the slow going on local equality issues. Our opponents remain steadfast against us because we don't come out in force. ......

This is very true. IMO, 1/3 of the country are still against Gays and Lesbians but won't admit it like they once did. In the United States and even in the states where there is Gay marriage, it is still perfectly legal to discriminate because someone is Gay. It is not a constitutionally protected classification.

I will say that Charlotte these days is a much calmer place than it was in the 1980s when there was open outright hostility towards Gays and Lesbians, especially after AIDS made it into the public eye in the mid 1980s. I've posted about this period here before. There was once a very prominent preacher, the Rev. Joseph Chambers, who made the sins of homosexuality part of his agenda and he had the ear of the local politicians including then Mayor Sue Myrick. (the same Sue Myrick who now represents much of Charlotte in the US House of Representatives). This is when we did have groups such as First Tuesday, which provided a counter towards these kinds of arguments. Chambers was eventually thrown out by his own flock of worshipers.

Personally I have not had to deal with too much other than an incident with the Police that I mentioned earlier in this topic. But I did have a friend once that was leaving Tags (a bar that used to be on The Plaza) after the Sunday afternoon volleyball and tea dance who was very badly beaten with a tire iron by some rednecks looking to beat up some hags. They had laid in wait near the bar looking for someone they could grab.