Charlotte Pride

voyager12

You have proven that some don't get this message and that is fine as I accept that is to be the case.

Edit: on second thought discussing anything on here isn't worth it. It just seems like a game to see how one can twist and turn any and everything. It's become tiresome...

Edited by Charlotte_native

• 2 weeks later...

I heard this weekend that Liason is closing, has closed for good and/or is moving to a new location :dontknow: I have not gone in quite awhile. They have been struggling for years. Petra's and to some extent Tutto Mundo have taken quite a share of Liasons clientele. Plus the house has gotten increasingly rundown and shabby looking. Given how long they have been in Dilworth, their possible closure is sad since it serves as a lonely reminder of the neighborhood's pre-gentrification, alternative past. Most of all, I hope the pink house gets some much needed TLC, with some work it could look great again.

MECKPAC is continuing to interview candidates regarding their positions on local gay rights issues. At the outset of each meeting, it's made clear that one's personal moral or religious beliefs are irrelevant. What MECKPAC wants to know is whether they will acknowledge their responsibility to separate private viewpoints from impacting upon decisions affecting public policy for all. The latter reallly speaks to my stance on this subject. I could really care less whether someone thinks I am immoral or evil or whatever. That's their right. No one, now or in the future is being denied their right to dissaprove of homosexuality.

We should in return be accorded the same equity when it comes to civil law. Unfortunately, those arrayed against us can't grasp the concept and inherent decency of staying true to one's personal belief but not denying us the right to disagree and live our lives in equality.

Edited by voyager12

Yep, Liasons closed. Not really a big surprise since it has sort of gone downhill since it was sold two years ago. All you really need is a "theme" night a few days a week and people would come. Maybe some flat screens too. I don't know if it will reopen. I heard it may become a straight bar. I would rather see the bars shift to Plaza Midwood anyway so you can walk from bar to bar.

Although I don't go to bars much, having a concentrated area would be cool. I can't believe gay bar connectivity is not the top issue in city elections this year. Where are their priorities? :lol: I still think gay bars are needed as safe zones where on can feel comfortable engaging others without fear of getting verbally harassed or worse, especially here in a conservative region.

Well the good thing could be - that if liaisons picks a plaza midwood location and decides to reopen, then that will help out immensely. In case anyone doesn't know, check this out:

In Plaza Midwood area:

Petra's - Piano Bar - More on the Gay friendly side, but is an open establishment.

Dish - not necessarily a bar and not necessarily gay, but the bar in the back of it is a great place for folks to gather.

Same with Common Market.

Snug Harbor - though it is mostly a band venue, there are the shows that take place each thursday night called Shipwrecked. Generally there is a drag number and a large amount of the clientel on Thursdays is lesbian, and some gay.

Then add in Thomas Street which is not a gay bar, however I have never felt uncomfortable hanging out there on a weekend night.

So the diversity is already there, but adding some new flavor would definitely help with the area, and a few more bars or social areas (not necessarily all gay, but definitely gay friendly) will help boost this.

Well the good thing could be - that if liaisons picks a plaza midwood location and decides to reopen, then that will help out immensely. In case anyone doesn't know, check this out:

In Plaza Midwood area:

Petra's - Piano Bar - More on the Gay friendly side, but is an open establishment.

Dish - not necessarily a bar and not necessarily gay, but the bar in the back of it is a great place for folks to gather.

Same with Common Market.

Snug Harbor - though it is mostly a band venue, there are the shows that take place each thursday night called Shipwrecked. Generally there is a drag number and a large amount of the clientel on Thursdays is lesbian, and some gay.

Then add in Thomas Street which is not a gay bar, however I have never felt uncomfortable hanging out there on a weekend night.

So the diversity is already there, but adding some new flavor would definitely help with the area, and a few more bars or social areas (not necessarily all gay, but definitely gay friendly) will help boost this.

This is exactly why I have always loved the area. You have multiple layers of different people interacting, they may be gay, straight, blue collar, white collar, poor or well off. I think Central pulls this off better than any other place in the city. Now granted it ain't the prettiest strip in town, but I believe it will improve.

Durham City Council unanimously approved a resolution supporting same sex marriage last night. Here in Charlotte we can't even our so called allies on Council to say the word gay or even pass an employee non-discrimination policy. When the marriage support resolution was presented the Charlotte City Council said nothing at all. It was stone cold silence. Just another example of how our "worldclass" and largest city in the Carolinas is so backwards and pathetic when compared to Columbia, Charleston, Durham, Carrboro,Chapel Hill, Asheville, Greensboro, and Winston-Salem. All of the aformentioned have at least one equal rights ordinance on the books. Charlotte continues to proudly bat a zero.

The MECKPAC Pre Election party is a week from tomorrow at The Morehead Inn. $25 min to get in the door. I am not going. Too busy trying to raise my own funds to give them anything. None of their endorsed candidates deserve any money anyway. At any rate, I do hope MECKPAC really is tougher on them on this go round. At least our local opponents are vocal in their dissaproval of us. We know where they stand. In contrast to our "supporters'" who besides Jennifer Roberts refuse to go on the record for us. Won't show their faces at Charlotte Pride, won't even bring us up in discussion, like Helms and Roberts did to get county employee protections passed. But they take donations and proceed to completely ignore us until the coffers run dry again. Waste of time. Period . Exclamation Point ! :lol: ( I have said all this in person and email too)

Tomorrow is another community roundtable at the Center. Discussion will be focused on how religion impacts the lives of Charlotte's LGBT community. 6:30 Bring snacks to share!

^Foxx also said he would support adding sexual orientation to the City's non-discrimination policy when he spoke at Pride.

Yeah, he's mentioned that several times, however, he won't commit to domestic partner benefits for city employees just yet. He says it should be looked into but that cost could be a factor in this economic climate.

I was only at Pride for an hour in the AM, so I missed Foxx's speech. There was also no mention of it any press I read.

No doubt it's progress to have a mayoral candidate be supportive of city employee non-discrimination. The economic excuse on DP's is a well worn one. Former City Manager Pam Syfert consistently used it to oppose any discussion. Walton feels the same way. If we do get to that debate there is nationwide evidence that proves the cost to be minimal. I know there are several openly gay employees working for the city. Some in high ranking positions. As a group they have worked toward changing the status quo from the inside. It's not good enough to point to them and say "see, no problem". The law needs to be in place. There seems to be stronger support for doing employee protections. Get that done first and build on it.

And with the County Commission likely to move forward on DP's for county employees in the Fall, perhaps we can get some momentum going to inspire the lagging Charlotte City Council. We need GLBT community members and straight supporters to really come in force for the public hearings on County DP's. There was strong turnout for the CMS bullying debate and we prevailed.

Yesterday, Nashville passed a fully inclusive city non-discrimination ordinance for city employees.

^True, the County, McCrory's former employer (Duke), and the big banks (BofA, Wells) all have inclusive non-discrimination policies, unlike the City. Hence, it shouldn't be a risk at all for Foxx. But sadly, appearing at Pride and stating the obvious is still a huge contrast to homophobic Pat.

One would hope too once the County has benefits, the City would at least consider them as well. Unless of course, the City Council would actually lead for once.

There is going to be an Out parade on Oct 11th at 11am. Coinciding with National Coming Out Day and The Equality March in DC. I believe the route will be through Uptown. Additional ways to be visible beyond the yearly festival is important as we continue to strive to make Charlotte more gay friendly. Our march over Prop 8 attracted a large crowd of participants. We got beeps of support and no insults. Most people on the street looked at us like we were aliens from outer space. Perhaps having more frequent activities will make people cognizant and more comfortable with our existence in this town. No doubt Michael Brown and the Concord crew are reading about it in Q-Notes too and will show up to transform us into heterosexuals. Did not take the last time :lol:

info @ outparade.blogspot.com

• 2 weeks later...

I did not get a chance to ask about form zoning at the "Charlotte Becoming....?" forum last night. McCrory talked about diversity and I really could not let that go unchalllenged. So I called him out on his bigotry and vetoing of domestic partner benefits. The man talks inclusiveness and has spent his entire tenure doing the best he can to block any steps to treat gay Charlotteans equally. Bull. He just said "fine fine fine"and did not try to defend himself. This all occurred after the taping and during the section that is going to be on the web and they can edit me out. I ticked off the guy sitting next to me and he even pulled out "the do you know who I am" card. Everyone just stared at me. I don't care, I don't worship or hobnob with the Uptown crowd. There was talk about class divide and racism but nobody mentioned that homophobia is deeply entrenched as well. The Angels in America fight is supposed to be our Stonewall but there is still much work left to do.

Edited by voyager12

MECKPAC has endorsed Kinsey and Sutkowski. I suppose this outcome made the most sense politically. No pun intended, feathers will not be ruffled on either side in the aftermath.

Lassiter ignored the question sent his way. Another example of echoing McCrory's refusal to acknowledge our existence. On the bright side Edwin Peacock and challenger Georgia Belk were both fully endorsed. It's nothing but words as of now but this marks the greatest number of Council Republicans ever supported by MECKPAC.

You won't see this endorsement touted by any of them of course. MECKPAC won't be listed on any campaign flyers along with other community groups. It's still considered embarassing and divisive to publicly acknowledge gay political support in Charlotte, but the money is all green.

On the national level South Carolina gets a lot of flak for being anti gay, but the facts on the ground in Columbia are quite different. Columbia City Council unanimously passed a comprehensive gay and transgender housing and employment nondiscriminaton law years ago. Mayor Coble is an annual fixture at their upcoming parade and festival. And has repeatedly welcomed HRC Carolinas in Charlotte. Richland County Council bestowed public tax money as a gift to Pride organizers. Both bodies have welcome letters in SC Pride's large brochure.

I can't ever imagine this happening in Charlotte. The differences are quite striking.

The O endorsed challenger Owen Sutkowski over longtime District 1 Council Member Patsy Kinsey yesterday. I was somewhat surprised. They usually stick with the establishment of each party. There was no mention of him being gay which is as it should be in an ideal world. But this is where I get conflicted. The omission probably helps Owen a little politically but District 1 covers some of the most liberal neighborhoods in Charlotte so it could be a wash either way. And we don't have any gay inclusive ordinances on the city level and that needs to be talked about to change the status quo.

Most likely, if Sutkowksi had ran on a hardcore activist local gay rights platform he would have been dead in the water. To his credit he is out, and has gotten the usual object of curiosity style local press because of it but has not pushed the issue. I wonder if The Victory Fund was contacted for support, but having DC based gay rights advocacy org support could have backfired. It was smarter to play to the middle.

Regardless of campaign style, a win would be a huge step forward for us. I don't think it's likely but he does have a shot IMHO.

Edited by voyager12