Charlotte Pride

voyager12

I did not get a chance to ask about form zoning at the "Charlotte Becoming....?" forum last night. McCrory talked about diversity and I really could not let that go unchalllenged. So I called him out on his bigotry and vetoing of domestic partner benefits. The man talks inclusiveness and has spent his entire tenure doing the best he can to block any steps to treat gay Charlotteans equally. Bull. He just said "fine fine fine"and did not try to defend himself. This all occurred after the taping and during the section that is going to be on the web and they can edit me out. I ticked off the guy sitting next to me and he even pulled out "the do you know who I am" card. Everyone just stared at me. I don't care, I don't worship or hobnob with the Uptown crowd. There was talk about class divide and racism but nobody mentioned that homophobia is deeply entrenched as well. The Angels in America fight is supposed to be our Stonewall but there is still much work left to do.

Voyager, you are an American hero, a trooper for justice. We should all be as bold and committed to social justice as you are. Charlotte is privileged to have you as a citizen.

Well, can't say I am surprised that Sutkowski lost. Although I did allow myself some hope. But that's politics for you, win some, you lose some. I think the beyond pathetic disinterest illustrated by the low turnout was more of a factor than his sexual orientation.

If Foxx wins and we are able to retain the current lukewarm advocacy on Council, I think we may have a shot at getting at least employee non-discrimination passed.

OTOH, the strong performance yesterday of the new more conservative Republican candidates showed that the national discontent against all things Obama has strong local resonance. If Ridenhour or Bokhari can knock out Republican moderates like Peacock, and Lassiter wins, I would write City Council off completely when it comes to local gay rights.

I had fun at The White Party last night. And I usually don't enjoy such large events, but it was great seeing some folks I had not caught up with for ages. The scene can be pretentious but I did not have any issues. The iffy weather caused a rather packed crowd in the beginning but luckily there was a break in the wet stuff later on so there was additional room to breathe.

Would be nice if we could have equal turnout to political events related to equality. I suppose it's human nature at work, many more people are going to be into partying ( for a great cause though ) than getting involved with activism :ph34r: and politics :hi:

• 2 weeks later...

In a recent Knight Foundation survey Charlotte scored far below all of it's peers ( mpls-stpl, Portland, Denver, Austin etc) in regards to welcoming GLBT residents.

Not surprising, and it will be mostly ignored because the gay community in this town is mostly ignored and invisible, which won't change until more of us care about making a change.

Edited by voyager12

In a recent Knight Foundation survey Charlotte scored far below all of it's peers ( mpls-stpl, Portland, Denver, Austin etc) in regards to welcoming GLBT residents.

Not surprising, and it will be mostly ignored because the gay community in this town is mostly ignored and invisible, which won't change until more of us care about making a change.

How is Charlotte not welcoming to gay people? According to the Kinght Foundation, I mean.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

There is going to be an Out parade on Oct 11th at 11am. Coinciding with National Coming Out Day and The Equality March in DC. I believe the route will be through Uptown. Additional ways to be visible beyond the yearly festival is important as we continue to strive to make Charlotte more gay friendly. Our march over Prop 8 attracted a large crowd of participants. We got beeps of support and no insults. Most people on the street looked at us like we were aliens from outer space. Perhaps having more frequent activities will make people cognizant and more comfortable with our existence in this town. No doubt Michael Brown and the Concord crew are reading about it in Q-Notes too and will show up to transform us into heterosexuals. Did not take the last time :lol:

info @ outparade.blogspot.com

Being straight is ok if that's who you are, but it's so much more fun to be gay!

How is Charlotte not welcoming to gay people? According to the Kinght Foundation, I mean.

I don't mean "gay friendly" as in being treated special, it's about parity. To me, the survey results are representative of the lack of any gay inclusive employment, housing, or DP programs in the city. And the lack of visibility by many in the gay community here which is caused by fear and apathy. These are non issues among the progressive and forward looking cities Charlotte likes to think of being classed with.

This week's Creative Loafing had a weak article on why gay tourism is ignored in Charlotte. It was written by Cheris Hodges. They layed off Karen Shugart awhile back and that is a shame because her articles on our community were much more informative. No mention of the real reasons : The head of the CVB said Charlotte is not "ready" for GLBT travel marketing. McCrory has gone out of his way to be unwelcoming to gay groups. These incidents and more do get around the tourism industry which broadly has become much more cognizant and welcoming of the lucrative GLBT travel market. The spokesman for our local tourist org did say that they are "watching" the segment and may do something at sometime. That is progress for us. Currently, they offer links to gay friendly sections of Travelocity. Meanwhile, the Triangle long ago recognized our value and continues to burnish a positive and welcoming campaign to the GLBT traveler.

While the lucrative gay and bisexual travel market is a worthy thing for cities to pursue, it will be difficult to lure gay/bisexual travelers if they perceive a city is hostile to them. Most cities seeking the gay/bisexual tourists have already proven they are gay-friendly by enacting laws, policies, and declarations that support and affirm the gay community. For instance, Philadelphia had an anti-discrimination and domestic partnership registry long before they initiated their high profile campaign for gay tourists. Likewise, Chapel Hill, Durham, and Carrboro have a long history of supporting gay equality, including enacting gay rights laws and officially going on the record in support of same-sex marriage. Chapel Hill is on the cusp of electing an openly gay mayor. Even Gay Days host Orland has enacted pro-gay legislation and policies. IN contrast, Charlotte does not even yet have domestic partnership rights, and any attempts at progress is met with shocking opposition. In this climate, I think we need to work on substantive rights first before pursuing the gay dollar.

I completely agree that gay targeted tourism efforts are way down on the totem pole when it comes to priorities. I just wish the CL article had mentioned that one of the primary obstacles to such outreach is the blatant homophobia of our Mayor and the silly fear of the "gay" issue among some CVB leaders.

Tomorrow at UNCC's Mcknight Hall OUTSpoken Presents: Keith Boykin

Starts at 7pm

Keith Boykin, renowned author, TV comentator for MSNBC, BET, and CNN, and LGBTQ rights advocate comes to UNC Charlotte to discuss One More River to Cross: Black & Gay in America

In related news to GLBT visibility and tourism in Charlotte I wanted to give a quick shout to our local theatre scene.

Currently Queen City Theatre Company (which for all purposes is a mostly gay theatre company) is currently doing "Sordid Lives" at Spirit Square uptown. It's a revival that Creative Loafing called a "Tranny Triumph" two years ago. It's a fantastically funny show so support GLBT visibility and local arts and see it!

Secondly these are some of the gay shows done recently in Charlotte by various companies:

Queen City Theatre:(all of these in the last 2 years)

Sordid Lives

Altar Boyz

Dangerous (an all male/gay adaptation of Dangerous Liasons)

Dog Sees God

Die Mommy Die

and bringing in cabarets by

Coco Peru and The Kinsey Six

Actors Theatre of Charlotte:

Hedwig and the Angry Inch (almost every year)

I Am My Own Wife

Little Dog Laughed

Take Me Out

Southern Rapture (the actors theatre actually commissioned this original work about the "Angels in America" debacle)

The Edge Theatre (Rock Hill) (This year alone)

The Laramie Project

The Laramie Project: Ten Years Later (a new work following the Laramie project) (Both works part of a national showing timed to and commemorating the death of Matthew Sheppard)

Bare: A Pop Opera

RENT (While mainstream it still deal heavily with gay themes)

The now defunct OFF Tryon theatre company produced

Bent

Corpus Christie

Torch Song Trilogy

Intim@te Epistles (a gay romance written by a local gay playwrite and director)

Not to mention that the Blumenthal has sponsored it's own GLBT affinity group called Out on the Town.

So like I said, support local artists and GLBT visibility and go buy some theatre tickets!

Currently Queen City Theatre Company (which for all purposes is a mostly gay theatre company) is currently doing "Sordid Lives" at Spirit Square uptown. It's a revival that Creative Loafing called a "Tranny Triumph" two years ago. It's a fantastically funny show so support GLBT visibility and local arts and see it!

So like I said, support local artists and GLBT visibility and go buy some theatre tickets!

I saw Sordid Lives last week at Spirit Square and it was an awesome performance. It is a very laid back theatre where you can take your drinks and food inside during the show.

I agree that if you want Charlotte to be a progressive city then you have to pull out your wallet and support progressive events to make it happen.

From the pics I saw on CLT Blog, Outparade looked great. I ended up having to miss it. Last night there was a candidates forum at the Community Center. My meeting ran too late for me to go :angry:

Good turnout and a friend just told me that John Lassiter was there along with Anthony Foxx and other council candidates. I am pretty surprised that the former showed up. McCrory was never willing to meet us and engage in any type of dialogue.

From the pics I saw on CLT Blog, Outparade looked great. I ended up having to miss it. Last night there was a candidates forum at the Community Center. My meeting ran too late for me to go :angry:

Good turnout and a friend just told me that John Lassiter was there along with Anthony Foxx and other council candidates. I am pretty surprised that the former showed up. McCrory was never willing to meet us and engage in any type of dialogue.

Out was small but enthusiastic. There's an article and photos on Crossroads Charlotte about it as well.

The latest edition of Q-Notes questions the lack of gay inclusive ordinances in Charlotte when compared to other metro areas of NC. No need to rehash it, just the same litany of examples we have talked about on here for years.

What did grab my attention was Jennifer Roberts statement that DP's on the county level will most likely be brought up for discussion in the next month. The public hearings might be contentious but I think we have a pretty supportive majority to get it passed.

Edited by voyager12