Charlotte Pride

voyager12

^ hmmm, interesting thanks for the info...we shall see. Would be nice to keep the old pink house in the family :w00t:

time to share my rumor.....I heard that employees at Halo are breaking up guys that are dancing together since it's gone "straight". Anyone seen this there or in any other club in Charlotte?

^ hmmm, interesting thanks for the info...we shall see. Would be nice to keep the old pink house in the family :w00t:

time to share my rumor.....I heard that employees at Halo are breaking up guys that are dancing together since it's gone "straight". Anyone seen this there or in any other club in Charlotte?

I am new to the Charlotte area and have been out to Scorpios a few times as well as this new dive dance club called Leo's. I have also heard of this happening at Halo. I have heard of this happening at Forum too, though I have not been to either club so I don't know myself. Kind of sad since Halo was once a gay club and Forum was once regarded as 'gay friendly'. Makes me scared to go to either of them even though I want to because Scorpios is a little too hip-hop/urban oriented for my taste plus its best nights are weeknights. Its hard to believe a city the size of Charlotte doesn't have a true gay dance club. Little Rock, where I moved from, had one great gay club with two dance floors (one house/trance/top 40 dance and the other hip hop), and a straight/gay mixed club that was also pretty fun. I have heard rumors that Velocity might be opening back up in a new location but I don't know when or where. I really hope it happens because this city needs it bad.

This city can only support so many gay clubs at once. The metro area is only 1.7 million people so it isn't THAT big.....once Halo opened up Velocity shut down. Now that Halo apparently isn't so accepting of gays anymore, there is that void again for Velocity to maybe come back, if that rumor is true. Honestly though, I like Scorpios because I into hip hop/urban music. I am not really into the whole house/trance scene.

This city can only support so many gay clubs at once. The metro area is only 1.7 million people so it isn't THAT big.....once Halo opened up Velocity shut down. Now that Halo apparently isn't so accepting of gays anymore, there is that void again for Velocity to maybe come back, if that rumor is true. Honestly though, I like Scorpios because I into hip hop/urban music. I am not really into the whole house/trance scene.

I agree. I don't think Charlotte could support TWO gay clubs playing dance/trance/house, but hip-hop and dance/trance draw out a totally different clientele and there is definitely a void not being filled and it could definitely support one in addition to Scorpios. I know of many people who won't go to Scorpios who would go out if there was another option.

I was hoping the rumors about Halo were unfounded. So hateful if it's true. We have packs of straight girls that go to our bars to relax without being hit on along with cool straight guys. We don't break up their good time. I don't have much to add about dance clubs since I can't dance and never went to Velocity when it was open. I have had fun at Scorpio during the drag shows on Sunday, loved seeing all the diversity.

Edited by voyager12

Trance/Techno is on the wane everywhere in the U.S., so I doubt that Charlotte could support more than one gay club that played it. Anyway, so is Scorpio gay on hip hop nights?

Wrong. Trance/Techno/House went way downhill during the early-mid 2000s but has experienced a revival from 2008 onward. Many places are starting to see a decline in "crunk" hip-hop at the moment. As for Scorpio, it has attracted a lot more straight blacks since it has started focusing on hip-hop. It is usually a pretty mixed crowd.

I drove by it on Sunday and they were fixing up the outside of the house. It looks like they are replacing the siding that rotted and reinforcing the columns that hold up the balcony. I hope it is true!

I was hoping the rumors about Halo were unfounded. So hateful if it's true.

Anybody know if the ones about Forum are true? That used to be regarded as a gay friendly club. I only heard it from one source about Forum, and it came up in a conversation about Halo (he said 'i think they do that at Forum also').

Edited by bchris02

Interesting since Forum will be hosting the Brief afterparty on Friday...which that will be mostly gay people. I havn't had any anti gay experiences at Forum..it has always seemed to be a pretty accepting place...especiually back in the Mythos days (anyone remember the back room where just about everyone was rolling?)

Interesting since Forum will be hosting the Brief afterparty on Friday...which that will be mostly gay people. I havn't had any anti gay experiences at Forum..it has always seemed to be a pretty accepting place...especiually back in the Mythos days (anyone remember the back room where just about everyone was rolling?)

I plead the 5th :), but yes remember Mythos -- love that place. They had a sign at the entrance that said (not a direct quote) "This is a mixed club, if you have an attitude about this you are not welcome". I love the mixed aspect of Mythos, I have nothing agaist all gay clubs at all, but it isn't my scene and having a specifically designated mixed club was much more fun than just being one of the handful of us in a straight club. And it was real mixed, we'd be there with butch dudes, club kids, flamers and drag queens. I miss Miss Kitty

Maybe these stories stem from overzealous individual employees, who knows but it's odd that they are coming from two separate clubs. Especially since Halos prior incarnation as G&G went out of it's way to market itself as gay friendly.

I noticed the rehab going on at the old Liasons spot too. Would be great if the house was correctly restored, has good bones and could look great again.

That balcony sure is rickety. There have been some packed late nights out there where floor did not feel all that stable :ermm:

Edited by voyager12

Q-Notes blog has an interesting blurb about Anthony Foxx, during his time at Davidson....

"When students elected Anthony Foxx the first African American president of Davidson College’s Student Government Association in 1992, the campus was in turmoil.

A gay student had reportedly received death threats, and part of the student body was upset over the recent founding of a group called FLAG – Friends of Lesbians and Gays.

Foxx organized forums to ease campus fear and anger. Though he never formally supported or opposed the group, he argued it should receive funding from student fees, as other clubs did. The group ultimately got the funds, and Foxx today says his role was as a “facilitator.”

“He never made it about him,” said Alden Smith, who was Foxx’s SGA vice president and who is now headmaster at a Vermont high school. “He had an unusual mix of humility and confidence"

He has supposedly "promised" to work on making GLBT friendly changes regarding City public policy. I will take him at his word but all pols make promises. If he is elected we will still have to advocate agressively to even get the ball rolling, and much also depends on how the balance on City Council shakes out. Still it's quite refreshing to have a Mayoral candidate with a good shot at winning reach out to us.

Yes indeed. The Eagle has closed. A shame, I have only been there a few times but the attitude was so much friendlier and less cliqueish than the more upscale "stand and pose" gay bars in town. Sidelines the adjacent gay sports bar has different owners and is not impacted.

Seems like there was an issue with the lease expiring. I wonder if it will reopen. Bars like this typically have a loyal following. So, now the Eagle has closed and the old Liaisons will reopen.

I talked some more with my friend last night, they were trying to negotiate the lease down (around $5K a month) with no success. Also, business had been off quite a bit over the last year. The combination of the two killed the bar.

I liked the Eagle, and tried to get there about once a month or so, but I think they would have done better not to have charged the high cover charges for non-members. It's a shame, they just had their 8th anniversary party Sunday night.

So, the only thing Charlotte Eagle shared with the Atlanta Eagle was the name right? The latter has been in the news because of a police raid. Never been to the Atlanta Eagle, is it mainly country/leather bar?

The Atlanta Eagle is more of a levi/leather kinda place. Have been there several times and will say the raid was probably warranted, the treatment of the customers by the APD not.

There are Eagles all over the country... Dallas, Washington, Los Angeles, New York, etc. They all have individual ownership, to my knowledge. I'm not sure if there is any governance over the 'Eagle' name.

I actually did not care for the Eagle. the ONE time that I went with a friend of mine, all the guys there, who were in their mid 30's and up, they all kept staring at me and my friend like fresh meat.....cause him and I were both in our young 20's. Was very uncomfortable.