Charlotte Pride

voyager12

• 2 weeks later...

Mitchell Gold is speaking at Myers Park Baptist Church tomorrow at 6:30. He will be discussing "Crisis" his book that contains stories about the struggles gay kids have gone through. Free. Donations to Time Out Youth are encouraged. Social Hour following at Petras with book signing.

Charlotte Rainbow Action Network for Equality (CRANE) partnering with HRC's local affiliate is holding a protest calling for DADT repeal on Friday. 4:30 in front of the gvt ctr. I am glad they are holding it during the week. The last events I have gone to have taken place on weekend afternoons. A total dead zone around there and we were only protesting to ourselves. We should get some traffic this time around.

It's important to show our visibility on local and national issues. I just don't think we will see repeal this year. We might get a moratorium. Democrats might lose the House in the mid-terms. Even if that does not happen there will be no doubt be a smaller Democratic majority. Gay rights issues will be considered to toxic to deal with during an election year.

Edited by Forrest

• 3 weeks later...

Takeover Friday the 19th at McColl Center. Starts at 7, Free and open to all. Should be a great event. Toronto based Somali artist in residence Abdi Osman will be unveiling his print based on "Queer Reclamation of the Queen City Community Outreach Project. He took pictures and gave cameras to residents to gather images of LGBT visbility all over town. I hope my contribution makes it in....shades.gif

Edited by Forrest

I thought this was a great by-the-numbers look (estimate) at same-sex couples in North Carolina and in Charlotte neighborhoods.

I think the headline "Large LGBT presence key to East Charlotte development" is important btw as the city would be wise (economical) to start promoting Plaza Midwood and East Charlotte as an area ripe for gay tourists and residents. If you take a look NYC's Chelsea and Hells Kitchen as examples - these were depressed areas of NYC that started to take off and eventually became fashionable because of a large influx of gays as both residents and the subsequent retail development.

Now is the perfect time in my opinion for the city to be creative in attracting residents and businesses and establishing portions of the east side as gay friendly business zones along with passage of city equality laws could provide a significant financial benefit for the Queen City!

http://goqnotes.com/6043/large-lgbt-presence-key-to-east-charlotte-development/#

• 2 weeks later...

It's interesting that Charlotte has the largest gay population in the state but our community is the most diffuse and uninspired when it comes to political action or visibility. This is old news but I still mourn the community center's former location on Central. This ain't San Francisco to say the least and the old spot had great presence. Now while I continue to support the center's goals they are completely buried behind the Music Factory and do not exist for most.

The other article in the current edition about Raleighs Hargett St's burgeoning gayborhood status made me envious.

Edited by Forrest

Q-Notes has a frustrating update on the lack of progress toward DPs and Employee Non-Discrimination on the City level. You would think McCrory was still Mayor. City Atty McCarley continues his idiotic argument about how the City has to get permission from the legislature to enact these policies. Regardless of the fact that dozens of cities and small towns in NC passed these laws years ago. There is no impediment. I have to surmise the argument is simply a smokescreen for his personal anti-gay views.

Then, according to the article we have cowardly supposedly supportive Council members who will talk about it off the record but no one is willing to take the lead publicly. Still can't fathom that the largest and most diverse city in the Carolinas has a city admin that is continually hamstrung by ingrained homophobia. I include the fearful MECKPAC endorsed council members in that lot. Taking donations and posing for pictures is fun but actually living up to your word as Jennifer Roberts and the majority on the County Commisssion have done is too much to ask I guess.

Mayor Foxx is scheduled to address the Charlotte Gay and Lesbian Fund in May. I don't think they should have him as a speaker unless we have clear and tangible movement on these issues by then.

Edited by Forrest

I think it's great that the city manager made the employment policy changes so that lesbian and gay city employees are now protected but there is still a long way to go. Obviously the lack of a strong city council backed ordinance and the purposeful exclusion of gender identity protections make this somewhat of a hollow victory.

As far as Mayor Foxx address the Charlotte Gay and Lesbian Fund in May, I think it isa step in the right direction as to noting glbt value as a constituency. I also know that Foxx has met with lgbt parties and states that he is willing to reach out. This is not the same as a Mayor who fully supports the protection and equality of all his city's citizens, but again it's a step in the right direction.

What I would like to see the Mayor do next is put his voice in support of full protection of lgb and t in housing, school and work. I would also like him to appear at the Charlotte Pride and lend his support to City Center Partners helping sponsor the Pride event and thus include it on their bus shelter calendar of events in Uptown.

These are all steps, some small, some big, but steps that would help Charlotte shed an image of a place that treats the glbt community today as Birmingham did it's black citizens in the 60's. This image I might add was one I held myself before I moved here and it is one that is often shared to me by my friends in the Northeast and West Coast. For a city that is very concerned with its image, I would think that this is one which they could and should counter with ease with a few swift changes.

To be fair, they (the media) do it in every city. You do have to admit that Pride does pull in the fringe element of the gay subculture. Seriously, how often do you see a large group of lesbians walking around topless (not that that happens here, but I have seen it in Washington and St Petersburg), or men dressed in chaps with nothng on underneath but a jock strap walking around a medium sized American city on a Sunday afternoon? I have to be honest, if I was a videographer for TV, I'd be drawn to the wild and over the top as well. I'm not saying its right, just that its human nature to be drawn to the shocking.

To be fair, they (the media) do it in every city. You do have to admit that Pride does pull in the fringe element of the gay subculture. Seriously, how often do you see a large group of lesbians walking around topless (not that that happens here, but I have seen it in Washington and St Petersburg), or men dressed in chaps with nothng on underneath but a jock strap walking around a medium sized American city on a Sunday afternoon? I have to be honest, if I was a videographer for TV, I'd be drawn to the wild and over the top as well. I'm not saying its right, just that its human nature to be drawn to the shocking.

I haVE to disa \gree, we get very positive media coverage here in Orlando. The4 parade itself is billed "Orlando;s most Colorful Parade" and it goes through the trendy neighborhood of Thornton Park.....gaystraoighted mixed neighborhood. People line the streets with their kids to watch the parade, although a lot of iot is done with taste, corporate floats from Walt Disney World , Sea World Universal studio

i have to say i disagree. We get very positi\ve media

I have to totally disagree about negative press from the media here in Orlando, the big morning radio djs have a float and the festivities are actually broadcast live from the top 40 station XL106.7, The Orlando Sentinel has a float, the Orlando Weekly has a float, the media bills it as Orlandos Most Colorful Parade and it goes through the city streets around the main city park (Lake Eola) and through the trendy neighborhood of Thornton Park. The neighborhood id very mixed and very tolerant straight parents bring their kids to watch the parade. Of course it is much more tasteful than barechested lesbians although there are a few leather chaps to be seen. There are beautiful corporate floats from Walt Disney World, Universal Studios, Anhauser Buswxh Sea World with the Klidesdale horses, lots of club floats with shirtless employess dancing anmd having a good time, but that is what your average straight Orlandoan expects to see in a club and with most of the clubs being ultra lounges, strraight people hang out there too since most of the clubs are in their neighborhood. Most ki9ds know their godp;arents or uncles and visit thier friends reegularly. The mayor kicks off the parade with the lead floatr. Then after the paqrade there are performers in the bandshell such as Rupaul or Donnsa Summer, ect. and all diverity of people dance and have a good time. There haven't been any protestors in several years and the city doesn't allow them near the event if there are any, they are in a roped off area pretty far from the events.. The event always gets a colorful front p;age photo in the sentinel and is pplayred in full on a couple of tghe nretwork tv \stations. The mascot is a stuffed character called Lola the Swan from Lake Eola and hands out treats to kids. It happens in October since we have the Gay Days party in June at the attractions which attracts up to 200,000 queers. The parade is up to 80,000 participants and is moving up to the 2nd largest in the state. St. Pete is now the largest, Ft. Lauderdale was second but Orlando may bypass Lauderdale this year. Miami is just in its 3rd year this year and has been small but growing on South Beach. First year 9000, 2nd year 17000, this year Miami is expecting 30,000. How disapointing Charlotte, I thought you were a progressive city. We've got tons of churches but the main downtown churches allow and accept homosexuals. I was actually under the impression that the nation had changed rapidly. Since I am unemployed I have to check carefully the metro areas and regions I apply for jobs at. Sad. No negativity meant towards Charlotte, just in shock and a little heartbroken. Orlando really has no "gayborhood", we all just live together. Even the very distant suburbs are very open. Good luck Charlotte, we had the same type of situation in the late 80's. Thought cable and the internet changed things. Is there a large college population there?

Well, the amending of the charter to included sexual orientation is notable since there has been zero progress on the city council level for decades. If Mayor Foxx leaned on Walton and McCarley to support it than I have to give him credit because those two have constantly given excuses to stall. Leaving out gender identity is a glaring omission and we are going to need a vote on City Council for DP's and non-discrimination and gender identity to encode these changes into ordinances. Political winds change rapidly and future administrators could easily repeal this positive change.

and we are going to need a vote on City Council for DP's and non-discrimination and gender identity to encode these changes into ordinances. Political winds change rapidly and future administrators could easily repeal this positive change.

Definitely agree with this point. The Charter change is not law per se and can easily be changed back depending on who is in that position (City manager).

Re: metrowester's point. I'm glad that Dbull75 noted that as I was a little confused as to where that came from. I do agree that Charlotte is more progressive than people think and I also believe that the city is moving in the right direction. There is work to be done, but I think the tide in local public opinion is reflecting Charlotte and it's citizens becoming more broad minded about diversity in general (from people to industry).

An interesting corollary....openly gay Houston Mayor Annise Parker issued a fully GLBT inclusive non-discrimination executive order this week. She ran out and won a by a healthy margin in another "business" town in an arguably much more conservative state. No doubt given the non-existent progress before on the City level, the charter change is meaningful. The disconnect between the County Commission's speed and accomplishment on these issues and City Council's obstinance is still glaring.

When we get votes scheduled and actually hear from our ostensible supporters on record from City Council, I will be more optimistic. We have legions of elected anti-gay voices in this city and county that have no problem constantly verbally bashing us. Why are our supposed elected allies are not equally outspoken in support of us? I think they are cowards who think going to fundraisng parties for their campaigns and having gay friends is enough. Sorry won't cut it with me. When they take a stand and vote for us I will be supportive in return. The BS sweet talk does not work with this gay Charlottean anymore.

Edited by Forrest

The Observer has begun running a series on Republicans running in the primaries for the open County Board seats. So far each and everyone of them has focused on the recent passage of domestic partner benefits as a one of the key reasons to replace the current board members.

It's amazing how not a single Republican can run without vilifying the gay community for something (of course they pretend that the gays are just fine - it's only the laws that protect them and give them the equal benefits that are the issue.)

Edited by Urbanity

The Observer has begun running a series on Republicans running in the primaries for the open County Board seats. So far each and everyone of them has focused on the recent passage of domestic partner benefits as a one of the key reasons to replace the current board members.

It's amazing how not a single Republican can run without vilifying the gay community for something (of course they pretend that the gays are just fine - it's only the laws that protect them and give them the equal benefits that are the issue.)

Pathetic. I suppose it's a mark of progress that aside from the fringe of the fringe like Bill James it's not acceptable to say you hate gays. Of course they do but now it's couched in terms of affordability to mask bigotry. Funny that there are never concerns aired about "public support" or morality when benefits are given by rote to heteros rolleyes.gif I wonder why....

Not too concerned about Democrats losing their majority on the CC. I will still do as much as I can from a grassroots and financial level to get them all reelected. They unanimously went to bat for us and more than deserve our strongest support.

I have said before that local FM DJs would have nothing to say without having us gays around to make jokes about. This has always been the case regardless of the town I lived in at the time. Usually does not bother me and I shrug it off but yesterday Otis from 95.1 went over the line in my opinion and it made me snap. So I called up and could not get through to the studio. Then I called the office line and surprisingly the manager picked up and I lodged a formal complaint. The guy could have been reading from a script he was so toneless. He will supposedly "follow up" with Otis and it goes on the public file. I expect absolutely nothing to happen but at least I made my thoughts known and feel better because of that.

On Sunday I was in line for a bagel at Brueggers on East. I was reading Q-Notes while waiting and the older woman behind me had this total look of disgust the whole time. So I just opened the pages wider in her face. There is nothing advertised in there that is any racier than "straight" ads in Creative Loafing.

I like to point out metrowester that you replied to a comment from almost 4 years ago... I'm not sure how relavent that post from then really is at this point. Charlotte is a lot more progressive than you think.

Wow! Sorry about that, I responded to an email notification I just recvd. I'm sure lots has changed in 4 years as this issue has rapidly become a non issue all around the country. Sorry about my comments!

The memorandum announced last night that fully equalized the access of gays and lesbians to their partners in medical situations is an important accomplishment.

If you read the fine print Obama mentioned NC as an example of state that has already amended it's policy ahead of this directive.

Has anyone personally had a problem visiting their partner in Charlotte area hospitals or heard of issues that have come up? I have not.

Last week I wore my "Legalize Gay" shirt from American Apparel and a passerby told me they loved it. Today,wearing the same shirt and walking back from Laurel Market South a couple of kids in a Jeep screamed out the Fword ( it's censored on here) Quite loudly of course so it would get through the ipod. So I suppose this illustrates the mixed bag we still confront. Being verbally assaulted is mentally hurtful of course but I was surprised and heartened about how quickly I was able to shrug it off and get back into a happy state of mind. Being openly gay in the Carolinas and all over this country for that matter, it's certainly not the first incident and won''t be the last.

This will only make me wear my shirt more. And I encourage gays and straights to buy them. There is still a buy one for about 20 bucks and get one free deal until Tuesday at American Apparel.

Edited by Forrest

My boyfriend partner fiancé has on more than one occasion worn his shirts about being gay or about AIDS. Eight times out of ten - not a notice; one time ot of ten: a cheer; one time out of ten - a negative comment or epithet. Kind of seems the norm for society in general.

In truth he fares much better in his gay Pride t-shirts then I do in my Yankee shirts when I walk into a crowd of SOB Red Sox fans.

Jokes aside (with the above being pretty accurate and not really a joke) I kinda think CLT is a town where you have four camps:

mad.gifObnoxiously loud (like their very life depends upon it) gay hatred;

scared.gifIn the closet gay hatred;

whistling.gifThose who claim I don't give a crap what you do as long as I don't know about it (if it isn't something cute and hetero);

and

yahoo.gifYay! the gays are here - let's hope our property values go up cause those boys love to fix up houses an buy lots of pretty flowers!

Edited by Urbanity

^ I concur. We may lose battles along the way but there is no doubt that society is moving toward broader acceptance of homosexuality. Such a shift always brings out the worst from those who can't deal with gays that don't hide who they are and are not ashamed.

I don't class kids in that category. The guys from today seemed like high schoolers from what I could tell. They don't get a total pass because of their age but one hopes they will mature and become better people as the years go by. Of course much depends on parenting, who knows what they hear at home.

On the plus side, I have had several high school and college age kids tell me they really like the gay rights shirts I wear out grin.png and about

So hope springs eternal.