Charlotte Pride

voyager12

Why has Sat always been THE night in Charlotte. Fridays are usually slow as far as dance clubs go. Oh well. Nice to know Closet is doing well. I havent been yet. Guess Im getting old. Used to be so excited about new places. 32 isnt that old though. Unless your 22 then 32 is old. WIll check it out soon.

Went to Closet on Saturday night. The place was packed but the crowd is changing. It has become a more older crowd similar to the Eagle and is very pretentious. Music has changed from top 40 dance to hard trance/techno which is mostly unrecognizable and not as enjoyable to dance to. Seems the place is trying too hard to be the "anti-Scorpios" which in itself is bringing on a whole new set of problems. Much of the younger crowd that was at the Closet when it opened is now at Scorpios on Friday night, which was packed a couple of weeks ago when I went. Maybe I hit it on a bad night but if that is the direction the club is going I probably won't be going too often. I hope it does well though, whatever niche the club finds, because the more gay establishments this city has the better.

Went to Closet on Saturday night. The place was packed but the crowd is changing. It has become a more older crowd similar to the Eagle and is very pretentious. Music has changed from top 40 dance to hard trance/techno which is mostly unrecognizable and not as enjoyable to dance to. Seems the place is trying too hard to be the "anti-Scorpios" which in itself is bringing on a whole new set of problems. Much of the younger crowd that was at the Closet when it opened is now at Scorpios on Friday night, which was packed a couple of weeks ago when I went. Maybe I hit it on a bad night but if that is the direction the club is going I probably won't be going too often. I hope it does well though, whatever niche the club finds, because the more gay establishments this city has the better.

When you say "older" what do you mean? I only went to Eagle once and there was noone there.. Just wondering if we are talking 60s or by older do you mean more mature? One of my biggest complaints of Charlotte has been just how darn young the gay bar crowd seems to be. The one thing i loved about philadelphias gays was that there is a mature crown that one can have intelligent convo with and not have to go back to the parents house to get some. Anywho, Ive never been to Closet, and Scorpio is just whenever for me. Maybe 3 times a year. I guess I should try Closet out before she closes. Thanks for the update. And i agree with you the more gay establishments the better.

Edited by Skyybutter

When you say "older" what do you mean? I only went to Eagle once and there was noone there.. Just wondering if we are talking 60s or by older do you mean more mature? One of my biggest complaints of Charlotte has been just how darn young the gay bar crowd seems to be. The one thing i loved about philadelphias gays was that there is a mature crown that one can have intelligent convo with and not have to go back to the parents house to get some. Anywho, Ive never been to Closet, and Scorpio is just whenever for me. Maybe 3 times a year. I guess I should try Closet out before she closes. Thanks for the update. And i agree with you the more gay establishments the better.

Closet has become a "bear" crowd, at least it has been the last 2 times I was there. Mostly 35-55 i would guess. Not many twenty-somethings. While its not my scene, I would rather see it stay open and become a bear/leather bar than close because that would be better for the gay community in Charlotte as a whole. And from my perspective it seems like most of the bars either cater to those really young and usually still in college (Scorpios) or the sugar daddy crowd (Closet and Bar @ 316). There is a whole subset of the gay community here you will never see in any of the bars.

Not sure if this has been brought up before: my sister, who lives in Charlotte, says the city is becoming more and more Hispanic as each day goes by. Spanish billboards, radio stations and papers.....

Nothing wrong with that of course. Diversity can only help a city. I'm pro-immigration.

However I am wondering how the influx of Hispanic Catholics is shaping the city-wide attitude toward gays. I know so little about this demographic's feelings toward gay people. Any thoughts or reflections?

Not sure if this has been brought up before: my sister, who lives in Charlotte, says the city is becoming more and more Hispanic as each day goes by. Spanish billboards, radio stations and papers.....

Nothing wrong with that of course. Diversity can only help a city. I'm pro-immigration.

However I am wondering how the influx of Hispanic Catholics is shaping the city-wide attitude toward gays. I know so little about this demographic's feelings toward gay people. Any thoughts or reflections?

Living in a heavily hispanic area (Orlando) the city is still becoming more open and gayer. Most of the crowds at the gay clubs are a majotiy hispanic, all the clubs have Latin nights and their are totally latin clubs, same in Ft.Lauderdale and to some extent Tampa. The clubs play a lot of reggaeton and hip hop except for the house music nights.

I don't think the Latins in our area are a majority Catholic. They are mainly Puerto Ricans and Dominicans and Columbians and there are a lot of Protestant Hispanic churches. I just think the churches in general have been more open lately to homosexuality and have a more liberal attitude. I don't know much about the Mexican scene though which may be what's happening in

Charlotte,

Generally speaking Hispanics tend to be socially conservative in line with Catholic teachings about homsexuality. I really can't speak with authority on the subject in Charlotte per se. When I infrequently go to bars I rarely see anything other than fellow anglos. At a roundtable discussion hosted at the community center awhile back I heard in passing about a bar that specifically hosts Hispanic inclusive gay nights but did not get any details.

Hey Forrest check out these sites:

Tuesday Night:

Monday and Friday night: http://www.revolutionorlando.com/index.php

Thursday Night: http://www.parliamenthouse.com/front/Thursday.htm

http://www.parliamenthouse.com/front/Thursday.htm

Chuchifrito Thursdays"

Mondays http://frontpage.jumponmarkslist.com/iso/us/fl/tpa/bars/valentines.htm

Also the current winner of RuPauls drag races is a major latin drag queen in Orlando, Tyra Sanchez

Don't find ;latins socially conservative at all

Edited by metrowester

I don't believe that all Hispanics are anti-gay. Clearly pop culture is always ahead of the curve. Still the typical voting pattern has Hispanics going Democratic because of economic reasons but they tend to diverge on social issues. Politically speaking Republicans have missed a major opportunity be demonizing immigration. If they instead were pushing for comprehensive reform and were more welcoming I think they could definitely pull in more Hispanic votes.

I don't believe that all Hispanics are anti-gay. Clearly pop culture is always ahead of the curve. Still the typical voting pattern has Hispanics going Democratic because of economic reasons but they tend to diverge on social issues. Politically speaking Republicans have missed a major opportunity be demonizing immigration. If they instead were pushing for comprehensive reform and were more welcoming I think they could definitely pull in more Hispanic votes.

Latinos in the I-4 corridor (Tampa-Orlando-Daytona)have primarily Democratic leanings. The Cubans in South Florida have usually gone Republican because they believe on a hard line position on Castro. But in thia region rhwy have definetly leaned favorably towards more liberal issues, including supporting GLBT rights.

Mayor Foxx is addressing The Charlotte Lesbian and Gay Fund on the 13th. This is the first time an elected official has spoken to the group. And it's been over a decade since a current Charlotte Mayor has spoken to a gay group. Pretty pathetic but McCrory was not exactly the type to reach out. I think the last Mayor who acknowledged the existence of gays in Charlotte was Harvey Gantt. So this is progress. Smart that the Mayor was able to prod the City Atty and Mgr to add sexual orientation to the city's charter before the event. 30 bucks to get in the door so I sure won't be going. I hope someone asks about how the "study" of DP Benefits is progressing. I doubt that will happen though, these things are usually pretty mushy gushy.

I was at Buff Fay's Drag Race at Hartigan's yesterday and though the amount of people does not compare to the Pride festival, I think the atmosphere and sense of community rivaled it. It was the kind of event that just was about having a good time and the camp factor is something that Charlotte needs more of!

Hope it becomes a yearly event!

Big changes afoot for the next Pride Festival. I just read in Qnotes that they are moving the date to Oct 2 yay! good.gif always go but it's just been brutally hot in the past. Feedback also asked for a move to a new venue and it's going to be @ the community center in the Music Factory. The lack of visibility to the rest of town is a bummer but maybe bringing it there will give the center a boost in recognition and garner more traffic afterward.

Blue Ridge Pride in Asheville is going to be on the same day. I guess it was inadvertent but it's a shame they could not coordinate enough to stay out of each other's way.

• 3 weeks later...

Charlotte won a number of readers picks of the "best of" in the Carolinas (North and South); more than Asheville and the Triangle region

Nice to see the city not previously known as a gay friendly place gaining in the LGBT scene which would make sense if it grows in proportion of the overall city's growth in population as well as entertainment and nightlife.

Edited by Urbanity

Ok, I have to ask what might be a naive question. What makes a store/restaurant/etc "LGBT-friendly"? (noting the various awards listed on the QList above)

I don't think there is a concrete definition or criteria and I would think it changes depending on the surrounding area's acceptance.

The bottom line is that it is an establishment that is not gay owned yet is welcoming for gay patrons. That would need to include management, staff and fellow patrons.

Some might also consider the establishment's receptiveness to gay customer targeted events such as encouraging gay clubs to meet there (like a lesbian book club at a coffee house) or willingness to hang flyers and posters in their window for events like gay bingo, etc.

An example I'll give of an gay-unfriendly establishment is a coffee house I know in Dilworth that refuses to allow a gay publication to be included in their offerings of free newspapers and magazines.

It can seem like a weird question.....the majority of restaurants are not gay or straight friendly. They focus on good customer service. As Urbanity said a gay friendly place could be described as overtly supportive by sponsoring local events,allowing gay media to be distributed, hosting meetings. Placing HRC or rainbow stickers on the front door etc....

While much progress has been made I still think it's important to highlight these explicitly gay friendly establishments. The organizers of Takeover Friday have had issues with restaurants and bars declining to host events after finding out that it's a gay social group. Which is really stupid and cowardly because daily traffic inevtiably includes gay customers. At least have the guts to hang a no gays sign which would be perfectly legal in NC.

Edited by Forrest

At least have the guts to hang a no gays sign which would be perfectly legal in NC.

That would not be legal. All businesses must not descriminate against a person or group because of race, religion, color, or sexual orientation unless the operation is a "private" club that is not government financed any manner.

I know many restaurants and bars that would love to have gay business or any group as far as that is concerned. I don't think that it is negative for not wanting to push for any particular group by displaying public notices, etc. Gay groups should just go where they want Nobody is going to have an issue. It is a free country. Am I missing something? If gays want a cool place to congregate, I recommend one of my favorite places, the XO Club in Cornelius. Everyone is welcome. Come on out. Bring a bus load of your buddies. Sometimes hanging a sigh might indicate that there the places is intended for gays only and therefore deter straight customers.

Edited by caterpillar2

That would not be legal. All businesses must not descriminate against a person or group because of race, religion, color, or sexual orientation unless the operation is a "private" club that is not government financed any manner.

I'm fairly certain that there is no law on the book in NC that prohibits a business from denying to serve gay people. I may be wrong (and would love to be wrong) but I just don't think that the quoted statement is accurate (at least in regards to sexual orientation).

On a practical matter - it makes little business sense to go out of any one's way to deny service to one clientèle, but to bring this back to "gay-friendly" businesses, I think the key is recognizing those who go out of their way to offer service to the lgbt community.

Well that is surprising, since sexual orientation is not a protected class under federal law. Charleston recently passed ordinances meant to prevent this type of discrimination.

My mistake. I didn't realize that it is legal to discriminate against gays. Discrimination in public establishments is definately wrong. Glad to see Charleston passed the ordinance. Money is money regardless of the source.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the Closet last night and I think the club's days are numbered. Saturday night has typically been the "busy" night, and there were only about 20 people there at the most (typical of a Friday night). When the club opened, it was so packed it was hard to move. While I am saddened by the decline of yet another gay dance club in Charlotte, I can't say that I am too surprised. The owners were flat out stupid to think they could charge $10 cover and $8 for a drink at a horribly marketed new club with no reputation. This isn't New York City! Not to mention the location is horrible and most people avoided the place once CPCC started towing people who parked in the back parking lot, leaving very little parking for the club.