Water Wars

monsoon

In fact Duke's license is up for renewal and many of the communities that line the Catawba get their chance to force some change on Duke before they get another 50 year license. Some of them are, but I note the most glaring omission from this is the city of Charlotte. Could it be related to the fact that McCroy was an employee for Duke up until the time he decided to run for governor?

In any case this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to force Duke to manage the lakes in a much more progressive manner that is focused on the public interest an not so much in making profits by selling land. Will it happen. Probably not.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that Duke hasn't done the best of jobs, but I think it's a little unrealistic to think that a lake in a highly populated area is going to stay free of development forever. It would be nice if the development was more sustainable, but Lake Norman is a suburb, so McMansions are what you're going to find. I can't say I'm totally against what has taken place, but it would be much better if there was transit-oriented sustainable development.

Archived