What were the tallest skyscrapers never built in southern cities?

Atlside

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm one of those folks who's glad the "giant feather" Four First Union was never built in Charlotte. Talk about a behemouth!!!!!

Out of scale, bizarre, it would have been an eyesore for a looooooooooooooong time:(

However I think the version similar to RSA was quite beautiful. It's a shame that one never materialized.

I agree. The first concept was a bit too monolithic and bland. The green building was much more symbolic of First Union at the time and would have been a gorgeous addition to Charlotte's skyline at any height. I actually wish the new WB tower resembled this design instead.

The "first" design was the shorter tower that looks like Mobile's RSA tower......the redesign by KPF was the taller one that looks like a "feather". I'm glad neither one was built, as Charlotte shouldn't get a new tallest unless it manages to surpass BofA in beauty, but more importantly, is able to address the street in a human scale way....something that neither proposal considered.

The "first" design was the shorter tower that looks like Mobile's RSA tower......the redesign by KPF was the taller one that looks like a "feather". I'm glad neither one was built, as Charlotte shouldn't get a new tallest unless it manages to surpass BofA in beauty, but more importantly, is able to address the street in a human scale way....something that neither proposal considered.

I belive (based on nothing but some internal ramblings of subconcsious thought) that the next southern cities to have a supertall after Nashville will be:

1. Miami

2. Charlotte (maybe sooner than Nashville if Wachovia has some secrets planned)

3. Dallas

4. Atlanta

I belive (based on nothing but some internal ramblings of subconcsious thought) that the next southern cities to have a supertall after Nashville will be:

1. Miami

2. Charlotte (maybe sooner than Nashville if Wachovia has some secrets planned)

3. Dallas

4. Atlanta

As much as I'd love to see skyward growth in Charlotte, I don't see it happening here before Miami. The rather compariable growth in Atlanta and Dallas makes it hard to "rank" them as far as who will get one first. Their skylines are better suited for supertalls at this point than Charlotte and especially Nashville. Sig is really going to stick out badly at first. Hopefully it will stimulate growth in Nash's CBD and new towers we be built to help balance it a little, not specifically for that purpose, but it usually works out that way.

Though it hardly stacks up (literally) to these buildings proposed in Charlotte, Atlanta, etc., the tallest building(s) to ever be built in Durham were the twin towers of Ashton Place. At a meager 27 stories, it would have been The Bull City's tallest.

Has this supertall in Nashville been built yet?

Archived