Seattle Hempfest Aug 19-20

Charlotteman

Seattle is throwing it's yearly Hempfest, started in 1991. Last year it attracted 170,000+ people.

This year the keynote speaker will be Seattle's ex police chief, who advocates decriminalization of marijuana.

The past couple years, Woody Harrilson was the keynote speaker.

I believe in legalizing all drugs, since I don't think it's the government's position to protect a citizen from himself.

How do you feel?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I completely agree. Food and alcohol could also be considered drugs, and can be just as addicting yet we don't seem to care about that. If we want to criminalize things cause they're bad for us, why don't we make high fructose corn syrup and animal fat illegal since they're making us obese?

Legalize everything in stages and while we're at it, lower the drinking age.

I absolutely agree^^^ lower the drinking age to 18. Legalize all substances for people over 18. If you're old enough to vote, and serve in your country's military........

Of course I think we all agree that no one under 18 should be using substances. People under 18 should be concentrating on school. However, I drank a couple beers here and there when I was 17 and it didn't kill me:) The drinking age was 18 at that time.

But what damn right should the government have to dictate what substances are "legal" or "illegal", as if that changes whatever substance being discussed. People do the substances they enjoy using. Whether it is booze, or pot, or coke, or Ecstacy, people choose for themselves. If someone wants some cocaine, it doesn't matter if it's legal or not. They can still buy it.

The Drug War has done nothing but wreck lives, and benefit horrible right wing politicians.

I believe in legalizing all drugs, since I don't think it's the government's position to protect a citizen from himself.

Legalize all drugs & make it readily availible, then you will have a very large unproductive society screwed up drugs, then carry it over to your children to be even more lazy, more messed up pyschologically from birth and even more unproductive. Ive seen enough people in my lifetime screwed over in life by experimenting and then becoming drug addicts. These were people that had something going for their lives but are now sitting in a alleyway shooting up on dope. Take a trip to Amsterdam or if you cant afford the plane trip, try New York City and see what crazyness goes on over there.

Good idea Queen City Man

I absolutely agree^^^ lower the drinking age to 18. Legalize all substances for people over 18. If you're old enough to vote, and serve in your country's military........

Of course I think we all agree that no one under 18 should be using substances. People under 18 should be concentrating on school. However, I drank a couple beers here and there when I was 17 and it didn't kill me:) The drinking age was 18 at that time.

But what damn right should the government have to dictate what substances are "legal" or "illegal", as if that changes whatever substance being discussed. People do the substances they enjoy using. Whether it is booze, or pot, or coke, or Ecstacy, people choose for themselves. If someone wants some cocaine, it doesn't matter if it's legal or not. They can still buy it.

The Drug War has done nothing but wreck lives, and benefit horrible right wing politicians.

The government has as much right to decide which drugs are illegal as you give them. It's a democracy, not a dictatorship (although we're close), so if you don't like the drug situation, vote for politicians that will change it.

But I agree, some drugs should be legalized and regulated. Marijuana is basically harmless.. is better for you than cigarettes and has only small long term effects.

I also believe the drinking age should be lowered to 18, but we need to be a society that encourages responsible drinking, not one of "absolutely none for you".. because that leads to binge drinking. Drinking isn't nearly the "rush" when it's legal.

And yes, the Drug War has helped right wing politicians and has forced liberal politicians into their game when liberal Americans don't support their stance. It's right winged manipulation at its worst.

Im going to Seattle's Hempfest! Seattle is such a great city! It definately tops the list of America's most progressive. I wont rub it in to everyone, but SEATTLE IS GREAT! Anyway, so is marijuana. LOL. It should most definately be our choice as Americans. Denver is a testiment to this. Theyve decriminalized it at city level. It is still a state offense and of course a federal offense. The state penalty isnt even a misdemenor (I know I spelled that wrong... LOL). Its a $100 fine and it doesnt even go on criminal record. Alaska has decriminalized it. And it works great up there! It also grows really well in the midnight sun in the summer! But that another topic... :lol:

Legalize all drugs & make it readily availible, then you will have a very large unproductive society screwed up drugs, then carry it over to your children to be even more lazy, more messed up pyschologically from birth and even more unproductive. Ive seen enough people in my lifetime screwed over in life by experimenting and then becoming drug addicts. These were people that had something going for their lives but are now sitting in a alleyway shooting up on dope. Take a trip to Amsterdam or if you cant afford the plane trip, try New York City and see what crazyness goes on over there.

what's crazy about new york city? what drug users are lazy? it sounds like you're basing your opinion on common stereotypes... that people who use drugs become lazy. i hate to tell you, but i'm a recreational drug user, and a very hard worker at that. i am not the exception either. people who have drug problems are different, but people have food problems and alcohol problems as well.

it's also widely known that in amsterdam, people are actually less likely to go crazy over pot than they are here. in fact, the most common people going crazy with it are americans on vacation.

But I agree, some drugs should be legalized and regulated. Marijuana is basically harmless.. is better for you than cigarettes and has only small long term effects.

marijuana actually has no long term effects, or even short term effects. it is harmless. it's much easier on your body than alcohol. it's not physically addictive like cigarettes and alcohol. the psychological addiction is minimal. people don't get violent while they're high (much unlike alcohol). there's absolutely no good reason why it remains illegal.

These are good points. Thanks for posting everyone:)

I too, am a recreational drug user. I've been smoking pot since 1975. I don't drink booze or smoke cigarettes. I experiment with other substances only occassionally.

I'm also a college graduate with two junior degrees, a homeowner, a great neighbor, quiet, peaceful and law-abiding. Do I deserve to go to prison because I chose to enjoy marijuana in the privacy of my own home? When I'm hurting no one??????

ANY drug or substance is readily available. It doesn't matter if it's legal or not. Why send people to prison for the substances they chose? Human beings have been using substances since there were human beings.

Think about it----if all drugs were legal, do you suppose millions of people would rush out and try heroin? Or cocaine...or Ecstacy? Of course not! If all drugs were legal, I would still just smoke pot:)

ps I was an R.N. for 7 years and most of you would be quite surprised how many doctors, nurses, medical personnel and medical professionals smoke a bong when they get home from work~~~believe it.

Think about it----if all drugs were legal, do you suppose millions of people would rush out and try heroin? Or cocaine...or Ecstacy? Of course not! If all drugs were legal, I would still just smoke pot:)

you hit on an important point... part of the draw to illegal drugs is just that... they're illegal. teenagers want to be rebels, it's badass to do drugs. if they're legal, it takes that fun out of it and experimenting becomes just that... experimenting, not abusing for the sake of being a badass.

Seattle is throwing it's yearly Hempfest, started in 1991. Last year it attracted 170,000+ people.

This year the keynote speaker will be Seattle's ex police chief, who advocates decriminalization of marijuana.

The past couple years, Woody Harrilson was the keynote speaker.

How do you feel?

That sounds like an awesome festival. I agree; marijuana and most other drugs should be legal and regulated, just like alcohol. Think how much less crime there would be in this country if drug dealers...couldn't deal drugs? :yahoo:

I love this forum! There are so many SMART people on here that love the city and love pot! LOL... Im a recreational drug user for probably the past 6 months... only pot... and I have a job at Taco Time (Its like classy Taco Bell in the Northwest) and I go to school full time at Tacoma Community College. Im far from lazy, or stupid for that matter. Its sad that our goverment hasnt came to the conclusion that they could actually MAKE money off of pot!

Government should either make Pot legal, or tobacco & alcohol illegal, cuz in my opinion they're the same thing...I find it confusing why it's any worse than any of those. I've seen them all ruin lives.

you've seen pot specifically ruin lives? i find it hard to believe that pot alone can ruin a life other than getting arrested or involved in a dealer's turf war.

Legalize everything in stages and while we're at it, lower the drinking age.

Yes, 18 for drinking and tobacco (& weed). While I supported the indoor smoking ban introduced in NJ in April, I was upset over the increase in the tobacco purchasing age from 18 to 19 that went along with it! I somehow doubt we'll see an increase in the selective service age anytime soon, though! <_<

Yes, 18 for drinking and tobacco (& weed). While I supported the indoor smoking ban introduced in NJ in April, I was upset over the increase in the tobacco purchasing age from 18 to 19 that went along with it! I somehow doubt we'll see an increase in the selective service age anytime soon, though! <_<

if you're old enough to join the army, you should be old enough to drink.

These holier-than-though right wing politicians get away with raising the legal drinking age because young people are terribly apathetic and don't generally vote in high numbers.

I remember when the age went from 18 to 21, I thought at the time it seemed very mean~~~

I just hope that the word gets out some day---legalizing drugs doesn't mean everyone is going to rush out and start becoming drug addicts.

As it stands now:

Booze is legal. I could be the biggest drunk in the world if I wanted to be. Readily available at a low cost, booze could be said to be highly seductive. I haven't had a beer since 1997. Not because I was an alcoholic, but because I started Prozac (another story-lol)

Cigarettes are legal. I could be smoking three packs a day, like I did when I was 23. But I haven't touched one since 1979. Legal or not, they have no appeal for me.

Coke is illegal, but I could get some in 30 minutes flat if I wanted it. I don't want it. If it became legal, I still wouldn't want it.

If heroin was legal, and meth or any drugs, I don't think that many people would "experiment and become addicts".

I love you people! And, HEMPFEST WAS GREAT!!! It was a typical Seattle day in August: Upper 70's light breeze and not a cloud in the sky. It was gorgeous out on Seattle's waterfront, as everyone was gathering (An expected 200,000 this year) to protest their right to smoke marijuana. Everyone was SO friendly (What typical stoner isnt?) and people were openly smoking marijuana even with cops traveling by (Seattle's I-75 passed and makes it lowest priority for cops.... even lower than jaywalking). Of course, no one was selling pot (at least at booths or in mass forms), but this is THE WORLDS LARGEST MARIJUANA PROTEST! It totally rocked! :-)

I don't know. I have a hard time with it...I absolutely HATE marijuana specifically, and drugs in general because I have see what they can do to somebody, specifically somebody who I thought was maybe my soulmate. It was the hardest thing ever to watch. Yet, I know that most of it came about because it's illegal. Logically, it makes no sense to keep weed illegal, but emotionally...I can't get over it.

^^^This is an excellent point to discuss.

For some people pot is horrible--makes them woozy and ill feeling.

For some people booze makes them sleepy, some get violent, some turn into Libertines etc:)

For some people meth is a nightmare--takes them days to recuperate, they feel horrible afterwards etc.

For some people coke is not good--makes them paranoid, etc.

The point I'm trying to make is that each of us has substances that we can't handle. If I drank two Martinis, I would be passed out within 20 minutes. But my partner can drink all he wants and is fine:) If my mother smoked a bong, I'm sure she would get sick or woozy. But I don't.

That's why all drugs should be legal. Because we all know which substance is our favorite, which one we have the best time with. Who knows better than ourselves what we each need? The government has chosen to decide for us. Personally I know what's better for me than my corrupt government does.

I don't know. I have a hard time with it...I absolutely HATE marijuana specifically, and drugs in general because I have see what they can do to somebody, specifically somebody who I thought was maybe my soulmate. It was the hardest thing ever to watch. Yet, I know that most of it came about because it's illegal. Logically, it makes no sense to keep weed illegal, but emotionally...I can't get over it.

I understand your point. I have an ex who was an alcoholic and it was horrible to see what he did to himself. Unfortunately, it was a legal drug, but it can happen just as easily with an illegal drug, too.

i'm a bit confused as to what you have seen pot do to people. i've seen alcohol really screw up some great people, but it's completely legal. i have never seen pot screw someone up (and i know quite a few potheads).

A lot of people make the argument that POT or alcohol is a "gateway" drug. From my days in college I would have to agree. At first, it was alcohol, then it was weed, then came along LSD, and then in the backrooms of the parties would be coke. I'm sure more was around, and I took part in all but the last. This was college and the ones I have kept up with are not drug addicts now and we are all contributing members of society. However, I have been told about 2 people who used to be at the parties, one who eventually got busted on possesion with intent to sell and the other who eventually partied 'til he killed himself with an overdose. Those are 2 lives wasted by drugs.

I also watched in the hospital once when my uncle was near death as they force fed him beer to keep him from d-t'ing. The hospital kept a 6 pack next to his bed. He had been an alcoholic since he came back from the Korean War.

We can take anything to extreme, legal or illegal. But as far as the thread and regardless of my past experience, I think marijuana should be legal. I feel there would be more control over the substance and it's quality if it was legalized. While it's illegal, there can be many additives which can make pot a much more dangerous substance, just like moonshine back in prohibition.

Archived