Seattle Hempfest Aug 19-20

Charlotteman

For those interested enough to look into it, NORML (National Organization for Repeal of Marijuana Laws) has a great website showing the differing pot laws state-to-state.

In almost all states possession of more than an ounce of weed is a FELONY~~ That means if I'm caught by the cops with 1.1 ounces of MaryJane I will be incarcerated with hardcore felons, that have killed, robbed, raped and beaten people.

Isn't something totally amiss with this picture?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree Charlotteman. But, states like Nebraska, Oregon, California, and Colorado all have some of the most leanient pot laws in the country.

Oh, and did I forget to mention Alaska where it is DECRIMINALIZED! Yes folks, it is not a legal offense at the state and local levels to have something like 4 ozs. in the privacy of your home. Go Wild Wild West!

I don't take any drugs (prescription or illicit) as I don't want to risk my mind or risk damaging my brain, plus I believe in taking reality head-on and avoiding denial.

But I think they should be legal. Botched police raids and innocents going to prison are enough reasons to do away with the war. Add that the state is entering people's lives, and that billions have been spent on failure, and the war on drugs is outrageous.

It makes little sense on any level.

People should be allowed to use drugs and the government should show NO mercy if they harm themselves. Say "you can do it, but we won't help you if you lose your mind or become ill". Publicly funded detox centers should be eliminated under such a plan.

Certainly there must be some limitations for the safety of all. Doing drugs and driving must be punishable to the maximum extent under law - no exceptions. And companies must be allowed (if they so choose) to discriminate against drug users, they must be allowed to say "we don't want to hire drug users".

I have no problem with people doing things that don't affect me. I don't associate with many, if any, drug users, and I think it's a disgusting way to spend one's time and money, but people can do what they want to do. Who am I to impose my morality on others? Freedom of choice is what this country is(was) all about.

And you know I'm all about free markets. haha

I've been reading through this interresting topic for a while now.

Let me give you some insights from where I live.

In the Netherlands, 17% of the population has ever used pot.

This is 33% in the US I thought, just behind the country with the highest percentage in the world, Australia with 34%.

Some people try pot a few times, only to find out that it's not for them.

But there's other people, like students I know here that tend to over-do it. Some smoke pot each day and to them, getting good grades is a low priority (but they still study once the've got exams).

My conclusion is, that there will be potheads everywhere, and there will be people that use pot in moderation everywhere. But by legalizing it, one thing is for certain, you take the ' bad ass ', rebellious part of smoking pot, out of smoking pot. I wonder if less Americans would smoke pot if it would be legalized?

I've been reading through this interresting topic for a while now.

Let me give you some insights from where I live.

In the Netherlands, 17% of the population has ever used pot.

This is 33% in the US I thought, just behind the country with the highest percentage in the world, Australia with 34%.

Some people try pot a few times, only to find out that it's not for them.

But there's other people, like students I know here that tend to over-do it. Some smoke pot each day and to them, getting good grades is a low priority (but they still study once the've got exams).

My conclusion is, that there will be potheads everywhere, and there will be people that use pot in moderation everywhere. But by legalizing it, one thing is for certain, you take the ' bad ass ', rebellious part of smoking pot, out of smoking pot. I wonder if less Americans would smoke pot if it would be legalized?

less people would smoke pot if it were legal. you would lose all those people who smoke only because it's rebellious, but really hate it deep down. you might get more casual smokers, those who avoid it now for fear of being arrested (or because their jobs violate their personal right to privacy and do random drug tests).

Archived