Providence Music Scene

runawayjim

I would consider Providence Music to in more of a re-building stage (if I may borrow the sports analogy ) 5 years ago clubs were over booked with local talent, and alot of it was b/c of the bands at the time. Phish had a huge influence on similar bands on loacl or regional stature. Bands like Juggleing Suns, Jerryz Kidz, and Max Creek were a great alternative to touring with Phish. In the more mainstream rock, bands from Providence, Pawtucket, and North Providence - Shed, SOC, Freakshow, Amazing Royal Crowns, Gruvis Malt, Kilgore, and even to a lesser exstent in Providence but certinitly in Boston Sam Black Church, were all riding the coat tail of the rap-rock era that came and went. When Bands like Limp Bizkit, Korn and Fear Factory were loading the old Lupo's the rock sceene in Providence was at full tilt. Now with the major band in Providence being Zox, a round up of good show bands are hard to find. Take "Anomolys" (spell check that would ya" or "Filty Souls" great young talented guys... that cant keep it together long enough to develope the following that a Shed or Freakshow had. The more we lack for a great Mainstream band, Your Phish :yahoo: , and dear i say Limp Bizkit, the more we will see less of the great dirty bar, that in the past was the esence and sprit of Providence. As has been the case for a long time, dirty o'l Living Room carries the next generation of "who - evers" along with them until the next era of music rears its ugly face and demands our attention....

With all that said Almon Brothers and Gov't Mule will be playing Aug 26th at tweeter....

:w00t:

the slip and foxtrot zulu are also from RI and semi-jambands. max creek comes to providence almost once a month and the breakfast (from east haven, CT) comes around about once every 3 months.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some more problems.

The Raconteurs are playing Lupo's later in the month. I'd look up the date but I'm lazy. So what's the problem? Well, Lupo's box office was closed for all of Labor Day weekend, apparently even during the shows going on there later in the night. IMO, that's annoying, and when every ticket place (ticketmaster and the like) charge about 30% in fees, you will have trouble moving tickets to the college kiddos. but i guess the college kiddos have more free time during business hours to get down there.

Regardless, I was happy to see that Broken Social Scene is coming to Providence and I do note that Wolf Parade was here earlier in the year. My timing always seems to be bad since I end up out of town on these nights. eltron, if you are into the bands I listed, you should check out BSS if you have the time. the Strokes are also playing and even though I'm not really into them I think that's a good thing.

the box office should be open during shows and should be open until at least 6 so that people can stop by after work.

I always thought it was open during shows, but when I stoppped by on Saturday to buy tickets, the window said clsoed until Tuesday, and there were shows there Saturday and Sunday nights, IIRC.

The better news is honestly the larger variety of bands playing. I know that for the last two years or so picking up the Phoenix to check the Lupo's lineup was a pretty boring exercise.

If jen is right and the Strand becomes more of a music venue with better promotion, I'd be thrilled.

How about actual music? I mean stuff that someone over a certain age might consider listenable? I put on the headphones and braved a few cuts by V for Vendetta, Drop Dead, M-80, Verbal Assualt, and a couple of other bands linked from the last site mentioned in the previous post. To each his own, but... well, it's not my thing. Two bars with repeat signs around them, is the thought that comes to mind, with the processed sound of the scream from Strauss's "Elektra" played through a distortion box. At the risk of sounding like an old f*rt, our parents said the same thing about rock-and-roll of a few decades ago -- but at least Hendrix could play some pentatonic scales... Geezus, practice your instruments, kids!

Urb

Im not sure why I found this funny, but Verbal Assault broke up 15 years ago.

I have a hard time with some of the noise stuff, but what has gone on in Providence in the past 10 years as far as experimental noise rock is concerned is indeed pretty impressive. Lightning Bolt have gotten an awful lot of national acclaim and are very highly regarded for what they do. To me, its all a little bit too pretentious and artsy-fartsy, but it is something that is distinctly Providence and has gotten a large following in the underground music scene. Drop Dead are completely different from most of the other stuff going on in the city, but they have managed to keep putting records out for 15 years or so now and have toured the world pretty extensively.

For someone interested in classical music Im sure it can be pretty hard to digest. You need to kind of seperate the notion of being a good musician from being a good band. if that makes any sense. Classical Music and Jambands pretty much make my skin crawl, but a sloppy 3 chord garage band always makes my day.

The RISD Museum has an interesting exhibit opening on the 15th (7-10pm). It's called Wunderground: Providence, 1995 to the present. Part of the exhibit is a collection of poster art advertising art and music events in the city in the last 10 years, it should be a very neat exhibit.

link

Im not sure why I found this funny, but Verbal Assault broke up 15 years ago.

I have a hard time with some of the noise stuff, but what has gone on in Providence in the past 10 years as far as experimental noise rock is concerned is indeed pretty impressive. Lightning Bolt have gotten an awful lot of national acclaim and are very highly regarded for what they do. To me, its all a little bit too pretentious and artsy-fartsy, but it is something that is distinctly Providence and has gotten a large following in the underground music scene. Drop Dead are completely different from most of the other stuff going on in the city, but they have managed to keep putting records out for 15 years or so now and have toured the world pretty extensively.

For someone interested in classical music Im sure it can be pretty hard to digest. You need to kind of seperate the notion of being a good musician from being a good band. if that makes any sense. Classical Music and Jambands pretty much make my skin crawl, but a sloppy 3 chord garage band always makes my day.

wow. its been 15 years since Verbal Assault? one of the best bands to ever come out of RI period.

I agree with you that alot of the noise stuff to come out of here in recent years is impressive.. I feel like its the sort of thing that is hidden from the mainstream so alot of folks on the board don't know as much about it but its HUGE internationally. Fort Thunder has influenced alot style-wise..both art AND music all over the world.

Thats not to say that I'm not dissapointed in what has happened to the club scene here.

but... what do I know?

I have a hard time with some of the noise stuff, but what has gone on in Providence in the past 10 years as far as experimental noise rock is concerned is indeed pretty impressive.

Noise is best live. It's sort of hard to really immerse yourself in it if it's unfamiliar and your listening at home.

Lightning Bolt spend long amounts of time making sure they can properly play off the accoustics of a venue (when possible, I'm sure) before their shows and the result moves you. Made in Mexico (if they count) can be pretty abrasive and avante garde for the tastes of most but if you're at the show, you become transfixed on the singer's ability to scream half a line and seemlessly transition into a smooth, almost slow-motion, sensuality (accompanied by appropriate musical changes). Nevermind the fact that the range of sound can evoke the strangest reactions in you. Pukka Argot (featuring extraordinary guitarist/singer Nick Telles) almost sends you into seizures with it's changes and sheer "lostness" (for lack of a better term that actually exists), it makes traditional guitar playing seem almost irrelevant in connection to the expression of the artist.

Of course there's also the likes of So Humble (more of an intimate punk/emo band but set to eleven....and I have to say that their songs stay with you permanently, by far, one of my favorites!), Kojo (Bob Marley meets Bono on an accoustic guitar), and (I hope this doesn't break some UP rule about self promotion but I'm only using it as a reference to influence, so if Cotuit disapproves, just erase this part) myself (Trip Hop, Hip Hop, Industrial mix) that take some of the common local energy and push it into different directions. I think Noise is Providence's calling in the global music scene. It properly reflects the perspective of a generation of pretty liberal, and essentially kind of sensitive, people that have been brought into a world full of unresolved trauma that they apparently have to resolve (and sadly faced with this fact since childhood). For a city experiencing a rebirth at the tail end of an era that sometimes seems to be the most stressful in terms of global tension and sense of personal-political responsibility, I feel that it is an honest and appropriate expression. It is Noise because everything else is.

I hope this little rant helps bridge the gap of understanding that usually explains why a generation's musical movement fails to appeal to those that aren't familiar with the conditions it was borne from. If not, I talk too much and I'm sorry.

Noise is best live. It's sort of hard to really immerse yourself in it if it's unfamiliar and your listening at home.

Lightning Bolt spend long amounts of time making sure they can properly play off the accoustics of a venue (when possible, I'm sure) before their shows and the result moves you. Made in Mexico (if they count) can be pretty abrasive and avante garde for the tastes of most but if you're at the show, you become transfixed on the singer's ability to scream half a line and seemlessly transition into a smooth, almost slow-motion, sensuality (accompanied by appropriate musical changes). Nevermind the fact that the range of sound can evoke the strangest reactions in you. Pukka Argot (featuring extraordinary guitarist/singer Nick Telles) almost sends you into seizures with it's changes and sheer "lostness" (for lack of a better term that actually exists), it makes traditional guitar playing seem almost irrelevant in connection to the expression of the artist.

Of course there's also the likes of So Humble (more of an intimate punk/emo band but set to eleven....and I have to say that their songs stay with you permanently, by far, one of my favorites!), Kojo (Bob Marley meets Bono on an accoustic guitar), and (I hope this doesn't break some UP rule about self promotion but I'm only using it as a reference to influence, so if Cotuit disapproves, just erase this part) myself (Trip Hop, Hip Hop, Industrial mix) that take some of the common local energy and push it into different directions. I think Noise is Providence's calling in the global music scene. It properly reflects the perspective of a generation of pretty liberal, and essentially kind of sensitive, people that have been brought into a world full of unresolved trauma that they apparently have to resolve (and sadly faced with this fact since childhood). For a city experiencing a rebirth at the tail end of an era that sometimes seems to be the most stressful in terms of global tension and sense of personal-political responsibility, I feel that it is an honest and appropriate expression. It is Noise because everything else is.

I hope this little rant helps bridge the gap of understanding that usually explains why a generation's musical movement fails to appeal to those that aren't familiar with the conditions it was borne from. If not, I talk too much and I'm sorry.

so where and when is the best place to catch a noise show? i'm always up for something new... and i do know live is usually best for most music (except the beatles and most bands that perfect studio albums).

The RISD Museum has an interesting exhibit opening on the 15th (7-10pm). It's called Wunderground: Providence, 1995 to the present. Part of the exhibit is a collection of poster art advertising art and music events in the city in the last 10 years, it should be a very neat exhibit.

link

I think you just made my day :)

link

excellent.

A similar, albeit much smaller show of Providence posters and fliers took place in the mid-90's at the Woods-Gerry Gallery.

I think the show was called "post no bills" or something.

i've listened to some deerhoof... are they considered noise or are they something else? they were pretty different.

Have you listened to Lightning Bolt at all? They really seem to be the "breakout" band if you will of the whole Providence noise scene. I like some of their stuff, but I really wish they had more vocals. Im not big into instrumentals.

http://www.myspace.com/laserbeast

http://www.loadrecords.com/bands/bolt.html

Have you listened to Lightning Bolt at all? They really seem to be the "breakout" band if you will of the whole Providence noise scene. I like some of their stuff, but I really wish they had more vocals. Im not big into instrumentals.

http://www.myspace.com/laserbeast

http://www.loadrecords.com/bands/bolt.html

actually, the only reason i listened to deerhoof was because some chick responded to a personal ad i posted to craigslist a while back asking me if i went to the deerhoof show. it was a one line email saying "did you go to the deerhoof show?". she didn't get a response back from me, needless to say, but i thought i'd check them out since i said that i like music in my ad (although i swear i mentioned phish, which is nothing like deerhoof). they're different, but not bad.

i'll check out lightning bolt when i'm home. i opened their myspace page and st jacques was the first song... kind of annoying and repetitive if you ask me, but i'll give them more of a listen.

is deerhoof from providence?

i'll check out lightning bolt when i'm home. i opened their myspace page and st jacques was the first song... kind of annoying and repetitive if you ask me, but i'll give them more of a listen.

They are indeed kind of annoying and repetitive. Once they get into a groove it can be kind of enjoyable, but its not something I would listen to often. Im amazed at what widespread acclaim they have gotten for music that is pretty inaccesable.

Im not sure why I found this funny, but Verbal Assault broke up 15 years ago.... For someone interested in classical music Im sure it can be pretty hard to digest. You need to kind of seperate the notion of being a good musician from being a good band. if that makes any sense. Classical Music and Jambands pretty much make my skin crawl, but a sloppy 3 chord garage band always makes my day.

Heh... I had no idea that band broke up 15 years ago -- I just clicked on some links on a Web site.

As far as the merits of the stuff, well, as I say, to each his own. But geezus -- I've spent thousands of hours in the practice room, working on learning how to play trombone, and I'm still not good enough to make a living at it. Just plugging in some guitars and making "noise" is another way of saying, "I don't want to practice and pay my dues -- let's just get up in front of an audience and skip the work. Practicing scales and chords is what the Establishment wants us to do, f890 that, that's lame, dude."

If people like it -- and some obviously do -- more power to 'em. I'm open to listening to anything -- and I've played a number of random-note (aleatoric/probabilistic) "classical" pieces with orchestra, that I considered total junk. But at the end of the day, Bach Still Rules....

Urb

• 2 weeks later...

so i just got an email from lupos with their schedule of upcoming shows... in the next couple months, there's a lot of good shows, at least on the jamband front.

max creek this friday

STS9 next friday (if you're into electronic music, these guys are good)

yonder mountain string band on oct 13 (they're an awesome bluegrass/old timey band)

medeski scofield martin and wood on nov 15

gov't mule on nov 28

Archived