Providence Music Scene

runawayjim

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A tiny space in Peerless? Is it the old Met? :-)

If the Met were to come back (I do miss it so!) I would have 1 request. F'N DOORS. That place was a death trap. There was the front door, the door by the stage to Lupos, and a back door that well... did anyone else know it was there? That place would get jam-packed.

What I really miss about the Met - they had GREAT signage. I have a picture of it somewhere...

They were next door to each other in the same building. I actually have never been to the Century, but I used to go to the Last Call a lot. It was a pretty good club. Not as good as the Met, but decent.

someone once told me they were the exact same place. i checked out on the map and they are obviously in the same building.

i went to the call a few times. i really liked it. i was surprised when it closed.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Providence needs somesort of iTunes, MySpace, eMusic... type of website where you can listen to snippets of music from local bands and pay to download tracks/albums, maybe AS220 could host it.

Discuss.

i just sent a feature request to myspace to ask them to add a city search field to their music advanced search (which is really weak by the way and only limits keyword searches to genre and country). the regular search is just a keyword. their friend search is so much more advanced.

AS220 will not host it through itunes because of their anti-corporate thing. they'd more likely use emusic (which as far as i'm concerned is better because it's DRM free).

i'll talk to soem of my friends in the providence music scene and ask if anything exists.

some providence bands that i personally know people involved with...

scott free - rap/hip hop

capitol hill - rap/hip hop with a live band

the ringer soundtrack - emo pop?

other providence bands i found through myspace...

sharks come cruisin'

van bronson

funkatronic

i also have some decent boston-based bands on my myspace friends list. i guess i'll put my myspace link in my sig so anyone interested can check it out.

When I say AS220 maybe could host it, I mean they would host it, not through anyone else. But I imagine the server space could be way more than they could afford. But perhaps there's a tech company out there looking for a way to give back to the community that could provide the server space and the interface would be a section of the AS220 site. Though trying to go through a site like eMusic would open the scene up to a national audience, while also giving a space for locals to browse local music.

PS: this is coming from a conversation at AS220 tonight where I fully admitted to being too old to get actively involved in the music scene and attend shows until I find something I like. Though I'd be happy to browse clips on my computer to find something I like, then pay to download it and maybe if I liked it enough, I might show up at a show.

is all that part of the noise scene or is that a variety of styles? i've heard of some of them, but never listened to them because the names sound like they'd be outside my interest.

AS220 will not host it through itunes because of their anti-corporate thing.

Why not? There's plenty of free stuff on iTunes -- it's not automatically "corporate capitalist money-grubbing RIAA-is-the-root-of-all-evil" stuff. There are a lot of free podcasts up there -- why not another one?

Urb

Why not? There's plenty of free stuff on iTunes -- it's not automatically "corporate capitalist money-grubbing RIAA-is-the-root-of-all-evil" stuff. There are a lot of free podcasts up there -- why not another one?

Urb

i have a strange feeling that DRM goes against what AS220 stands for. it might be free, but i'm not sure itunes has any indie labels. AS220 has a strict policy against corporate music. you cannot play any licensed music at AS220, which might also include your own if you're part of the ASCAP.

is all that part of the noise scene or is that a variety of styles? i've heard of some of them, but never listened to them because the names sound like they'd be outside my interest.

nope.. theres country, punk rock, Rock n Roll, noise etc included in that list.

and really.. I'm just touching the tip of the iceberg.

here's another..

Amazing Royal Crowns. shameless but i couldnt help it.

Archived