Weybosset St. Info Center

The weybosset street info center and former providence (abandoned) police sub station is being renovated into a new providence police district 1 sub station. Construction/ rehabilitation had already begun.

The building is directly across from PPAC.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, didn't they always say this would have to be removed in order to make Weybosset into a two way street? It seems like there's plenty of surface width to keep it and make it two way, but I had heard they were gonna take it out anyway.

Hmm, didn't they always say this would have to be removed in order to make Weybosset into a two way street? It seems like there's plenty of surface width to keep it and make it two way, but I had heard they were gonna take it out anyway.

Moving it is an option, though there are proposals that would make the street two-way without moving it. PPAC is concerned about being able to have guests dropped curbside infront of the theatre.

I thought I recalled that the "welcome station" was going to be moved as part of the street pattern change as well. I'm confused now...

I actually think the station itself looks great, and will be happy to see it renovated (this is a nice city gov't/J&W/PPAC joint venture here, BTW).

However, I thought Grant's Block was dependent on the traffic change happening, and I'd hate to think that was being delayed, no matter how much I like the welcome station...

- Garris

I thought I recalled that the "welcome station" was going to be moved as part of the street pattern change as well. I'm confused now...

If I remember, I'll try to scan the sketches from Duany's charrette for this location. There were moving and non-moving options.

Next time I see Thom, I'll try to press him for details on the timetables for Empire and Weybosset work as well as Emmet and LaSalle Squares.

Yeah, thats alittle confusing becasue they are doing a fair amount of work inside to fix it up. Take a peek next time you are walking past... it looks good. They have also washed and fixed the broken windows.

I would not see the paoint if they had to dig the building up.

Yeah, thats alittle confusing becasue they are doing a fair amount of work inside to fix it up. Take a peek next time you are walking past... it looks good. They have also washed and fixed the broken windows.

I'll check it out on my way home tonight.

I thought I read about it being moved in a ProJo article, not the Duany material, because I remember thinking, "Oh, that's too bad they're moving it. That place could be so cool, but if it gets us a two way Weybosset and Grants Block, then so be it."

- Garris

Archived