CONSTRUCTION THREAD: TD Bank Regional Headquarters Campus

g-man430

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although we do need at least one more signature high rise downtown, I believe that it's pretty much a done deal that it will be along I-85 from what has been reported thus far. My preference really depends on the company as well. If it's a big name that people would recognize, I'd prefer to have it out along I-85 where all the thru traffic is so that people will notice it (among the others) and notice Greenville.

If there were any doubts, it's definitely going to be a "campus-type" Corporate HQ, not a tower:

...under certain conditions Project Pogo will acquire, or purchase certain land, buildings, furnishings, fixtures, apparati, and equipment in connection with a corporate headquarters campus Greenville County...

SOURCE

Also...this talk of Greenville County entering into an agreement with "one or more contiguous counties" to create or expand the business park that will be the site of the Pogo HQ...this makes me think that the location will be nearer one of the county lines. :unsure:

Its all over the front page this morning.

South Financial is the company, The Point is the location. Hopefully, letting the cat out of the bag doesn't jeopardize the decision.

OK.....questions. The holding company is already based here. Are they changing Mercantiles name and Carolina First name to one commercial bank and establishing all headquarters functions here? I'm sure Mercantile has headquarters somewhere in Florida and Carolina First has headquarters where? Here?

Its all over the front page this morning.

South Financial is the company, The Point is the location. Hopefully, letting the cat out of the bag doesn't jeopardize the decision.

It seems that the cat's the one that let themselves out of the bag; therefore, I don't think it's going to jeopardize the decision. I hope not anyway. :lol:

OK.....questions. The holding company is already based here. Are they changing Mercantiles name and Carolina First name to one commercial bank and establishing all headquarters functions here? I'm sure Mercantile has headquarters somewhere in Florida and Carolina First has headquarters where? Here?

Right - this isn't a new HQ moving here as much as it is an existing one expanding here and hopefully not moving to Florida. I'm not sure what they've got planned for the name. The Carolina First HQ is here in the Poinsett Plaza, as is South Financial's currently.

Glad to see I actually did nail the location down being that part of unincorporated property between the Point and Old Sulphur Springs Road. :lol:

Here's a URL to South Financial Group: http://www.thesouthgroup.com/

Carolina First moved at least a part of its HQ to Charleston recently. They were totally HQed here before that. This is WONDERFUL news!!! :D

According to the website it is totally HQed in Greenville now! :D:D

Nice rendering of the project! This will greatly impact the I-85 scenery.

Carolina First moved at least a part of its HQ to Charleston recently. They were totally HQed here before that. This is WONDERFUL news!!! :D

Is this the "Lexington Technology Center" that today's article mentioned? Although, "Lexington" makes me think this is the Lexington just West of Columbia on I-20, so maybe it's something else. They currently seem to have offices and people scattered all over the place. Although they've indicated that these other offices would be unaffected, one would think that they'd eventually consolodate as much as possible at the HQ Campus. I, personally, like the idea that these are going to be knowledge-based jobs in the beginning. :D

Even though the decision has not been made yet whether it's Greenville or Florida. I'm thinking it will most likely be here seeing how it would be placed right next to ICAR and Millenium Campus where all of these big companies are located. Also, if this company expands over the years like BMW has, if they decided to move here, we could potentially see a tower go up in downtown in the future. This is also the headquarters for Carolina First, a parent company of South Financial which helps us too.

Carolina First is a subsidiary of South Financial Group - not the other way around. Mercantile Bank in Florida is the other subsidiary, and according to the article, is growing much faster than Carolina First.

I believe one of the best reasons for locating here is the Verdae development. I know Florida has outstanding large-scale residential developments everywhere, but this one is a planned masterpiece along I-85 and connected to the greatest new research and office parks in the state, not to mention also connected to the strongest retail center in the entire region. There are many other factors involved, most notably the city's relation to the Appalachain Mountains.

Even though the decision has not been made yet whether it's Greenville or Florida. I'm thinking it will most likely be here seeing how it would be placed right next to ICAR and Millenium Campus where all of these big companies are located. Also, if this company expands over the years like BMW has, if they decided to move here, we could potentially see a tower go up in downtown in the future. This is also the headquarters for Carolina First, a parent company of South Financial which helps us too.

Right you are g-man! :thumbsup:

South Financial is actually the holding company, parent company of both Carolina First and Mercantile Bank.

As it currently stands, South Financial I believe is in the top 100 (financial institutions) in the US, ranked by assets. Somebody can probably verify that.

This is exciting news for Greenville and for South Carolina! I tend to agree with g-man. The Verdae project is probably a major draw since it wil be developed along the same time as this new campus at the point.

I hope that its design will incoroprate some sort of plan for mass transit (perhaps an LRT stop). The traffic on Woodruff and Laurens is going to ge exponentially worse with 600 employees here, plus however many iwll be in ICAR/Millenium Campus, AND all of the people who will live in Verdae. Yikes. These campus style business centers have many positive aspects, but the transportation issue is something that can't be ignored. Still... this is exciting :)

I kinda like the fact that this isn't a relocation more than it is an exansion of a company that already has a significant presence in the area, and the fact that it is homegrown at that. I would think that it would have more of a sense of loyalty to SC and Greenville. I am DEFINITELY keeping my fingers crossed on this one....:thumbsup:

^ I think it's a bit of both. The holding company is based here, but one of it's largest bank brands is based in Florida. My hunch (only a hunch) is that South Financial will merge the two commercial, retail bank brands into one corporate umbrella with a new company wide name......maybe South Bank....who knows. This is the approach almost all holding companies have taken in years past. If so, then that means relocation and merging of commercial, retail banking headquarters that perform the day to day services as well as expansion of the holding company. My gut instinct, it's a bit of both. Either way, if Greenville is selected it'll be a win for all of South Carolina! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

This is exciting finding out the location, the company, and all, but I'm REALLY dissapointed that this won't be a tower... It looks like a great rendering in the paper, but the buildings are what? 4 stories? Yea, so is Hubbel, but this would've been a GREAT opportunity. Fluor is a big waste of space and I have a feeling that this could be better. Oh well, right?! GO GREENVILLE! COME ON SOUTH FINANCIAL!

This is exciting finding out the location, the company, and all, but I'm REALLY dissapointed that this won't be a tower... It looks like a great rendering in the paper, but the buildings are what? 4 stories? Yea, so is Hubbel, but this would've been a GREAT opportunity. Fluor is a big waste of space and I have a feeling that this could be better. Oh well, right?! GO GREENVILLE! COME ON SOUTH FINANCIAL!

Look at the density that is forming in this small area around 85. Greenville is getting a second "core", maybe midrise, but really dense. :D:D:D

GvilleSC, it is not the height, but rather the name and economic impact which matters most at this point. A nice tower in downtown would go unnoticed to the millions of travelers on I-85 who never venture into the city via I-385. A mega-campus like this would put the company in the face of EVERYONE traveling through. Think of how many Atlanta metro and Charlotte travelers are on the interstate everyday. Wow! :D

Archived