CONSTRUCTION THREAD: TD Bank Regional Headquarters Campus

g-man430

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can understand a little bit of what krazeeboi is saying. Imagine going to games and concerts at Greenville's 'Liberty Center.' The first thought on most people's mind would probably be the term liberty rather than the corporation headquartered here. Another is the 'Peace Center for the Performing Arts.' Peace is named for Roger C. Peace, a local resident, but I really like the "peaceful" image it conveys. ;)

Interesting article in today's Greenville News about The South Financial Group's hopes for a new headquarters in Greenville. The State legislature introduced the bills necessary for the company to receive tax incentives to locate in this state.

Interesting quote from the article:

Sen. David Thomas, a Greenville County Republican who chairs the Senate Banking and Insurance Committee, said South Financial would "prefer" to build in Greenville.

Also of interest is the report from WYFF4 on Monday that sources have confirmed the company will announce Greenville as the location on Friday.

I hate the fact that just about everything has to have a corporate name attached to it. At least let it be somewhat nondescript, like the Colonial Center in Columbia or the former Ericsson Stadium in Charlotte (which is now Bank of America Stadium...:sick:). Toyota Center, American Airlines Arena, Wachovia Center, Target Arena....I mean where will it all end? Pretty soon our schools will be plastered with corporate names, a la "Nissan Elementary School."

Hey I went to Nissan Elementary out west. Go Fighting Altimas!

I hate the fact that just about everything has to have a corporate name attached to it. At least let it be somewhat nondescript, like the Colonial Center in Columbia or the former Ericsson Stadium in Charlotte (which is now Bank of America Stadium...:sick:). Toyota Center, American Airlines Arena, Wachovia Center, Target Arena....I mean where will it all end? Pretty soon our schools will be plastered with corporate names, a la "Nissan Elementary School."

Count me in as someone who would be all for corporate sponsorship of schools! Maybe then they can pay for all the new schools in Greenville, whose costs just went up again! Heck, let it be like NASCAR with multiple sponsors. The more the merrier I say. "Pepsi-Nissan-Microsoft Elementary School co-sponsored by State Farm and Chevron"

Count me in as someone who would be all for corporate sponsorship of schools! Maybe then they can pay for all the new schools in Greenville, whose costs just went up again! Heck, let it be like NASCAR with multiple sponsors. The more the merrier I say. "Pepsi-Nissan-Microsoft Elementary School co-sponsored by State Farm and Chevron"

:rofl:

It would be a great way to pay for schools, and have Big Business give back to the community.

Two more thoughts about this-

1. Doesn't make much sense for New South to keep its offices downtown (at least after any leases there expire) and also have a campus out in suburbia. Wachovia does this in Charlotte- the suburban office space is generally cheap stuff for back-office operations and the downtown space is for higher-end jobs. But people sometimes spend significant amounts of time shuttling back and forth. Thus I don't buy New South's claims that the company is staying downtown, unless high-end jobs are downtown and low-end ones will be in suburbia. I'd think that efficiency concerns would cause all of the office space to be centralized in one location- and it looks like it'd be in the suburbs.

2. Young, well-paid professionals- especially singles- generally are less inclined to work in suburban office parks than other employees are. If New South puts most all of its jobs in suburbia, it could have problems attracting some employees.

South Financial would be a good corporate name for a venue, I agree. I've grown fond of Bi-Lo Center, so wouldn't want that changed. Has anyone received naming rights on the new ballpark for the Drive?

But if it was South Financial Center, it woudl sound like a bank, not an entertainment venue.. but then maybe thats the point :)

I would hope if a company goes to the expense of buying naming rights, then they would use their logo and actually let people know who they are. If people don't make the connection, then the company has wasted a lot of money! :( Sounds like this Colonial company needs to work on their PR a little.

I am certain the Colonial Life Insurance has some sort of package that gives them lots of add space on the brocures, and I know that they get ad space on the scoreboard and on the banner-board htings around the sides of the arena. For $5million they had better get something out of it.

Two more thoughts about this-

1. Doesn't make much sense for New South to keep its offices downtown (at least after any leases there expire) and also have a campus out in suburbia. Wachovia does this in Charlotte- the suburban office space is generally cheap stuff for back-office operations and the downtown space is for higher-end jobs. But people sometimes spend significant amounts of time shuttling back and forth. Thus I don't buy New South's claims that the company is staying downtown, unless high-end jobs are downtown and low-end ones will be in suburbia. I'd think that efficiency concerns would cause all of the office space to be centralized in one location- and it looks like it'd be in the suburbs.

2. Young, well-paid professionals- especially singles- generally are less inclined to work in suburban office parks than other employees are. If New South puts most all of its jobs in suburbia, it could have problems attracting some employees.

Who is "New South?" Have you heard a piece of news I missed? ^_^

The Greenville News online is announcing that South Financial will announce their decision tomorrow in a news conference at 10am in Lobby of their downtown office. They will also be accompanied by top state officials.

Sounds pretty good!!!

The Greenville News online is announcing that South Financial will announce their decision tomorrow in a news conference at 10am in Lobby of their downtown office. They will also be accompanied by top state officials.

Sounds pretty good!!!

I guess this forum is going to be buzzing tomorrow by 10:15! :D

Archived