CONSTRUCTION THREAD: TD Bank Regional Headquarters Campus

g-man430

I would rather see a tower downtown as well, but due to the relationship between the interstates and our cities (which is a good one, IMO) as well as Greenville's presence between two of the fastest growing metros in the South, there has to be balance. It's a double-edged sword. Greenville will have more publicity due to companies locating along I-85, but this is why I feel that its core won't become as dense as Charleston's or Columbia's, at least not anytime soon.

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am also extremely disappointed that the new office space won't be downtown.

Sure, maybe the campus will be incorporated into public transportation planning, but the bus system and train station are downtown and public transportation would probably be more likely to attract the new office workers as riders if the new office space were downtown (although probably nearly all of them will drive anyway).

And sure, maybe having the office space on I-85 will increase visibility. But Greenville's skyline and pictures of downtown really make downtown seem tiny and more like a smaller city's downtown. We haven't had a new large tower built downtown since the buildings north of the Hyatt were built in the early 1980s, and a nice new building would definitely make downtown seem better and in turn would make Greenville seem like more of a nice, real city to potential newcomers.

I totally agree that we desperately need new towers (especially signature ones) downtown. However, think of the momentum this would bring to Verdae, one of the most massive and important mixed-use developments in the entire state!

As for traffic concerns, I almost think that the bridge over I-85 should get a makeover - in other words, it needs ramp access to the interstate. It may not happen, but something should be considered. :)

There is already so much development going on around that part of I-85 like the Shops at Greenridge, Verdae, The Point, Millenium Campus, and ICAR. I just think it is about time a new highrise goes up downtown. The last time we had one go up downtown over 8 stories tall was in 1999, 7 years ago.

Obviously The South Financial Group doesn't plan to build a tower anytime soon, but who knows what the future holds? I could see this development and the many others nearby causing a few mid to highrises being built at The Point, Millennium Campus, and/or Verdae - maybe even residential or hotel. :thumbsup:

As for Mercantile's HQ, anyone know exactly where it is? The official website does not indicate anything but South Financial's Greenville location. Quite puzzling. :unsure:

I want to think it's central Florida like Lakeland or some smaller city, but maybe Tampa. Not sure.

Well here are their acquisitions in Florida. Looks like multiple banks. Maybe they changed them all to Mercantile to get a common name in Florida. Nothing really comes up as a Florida headquarters.

Recent Acquisitions: May 2005 - Pointe Financial Corp., $430 million in assets

July 2004 - Florida Banks, Inc., $1.0 billion in assets

July 2004 -CNB Florida Bancshares, Inc., $839 million in assets

October 2003 - MountainBank Financial Corp., $943 million in assets

December 2002 - Central Bank of Tampa, Tampa, FL, $215 million in assets

October 2002 - Asset purchase from Rock Hill Bank & Trust, Rock Hill, SC, $244 million in assets

August 2002 - Gulf West Banks, Inc., St. Petersburg, FL, $527 million in assets

I am very surprised that it is a company already headquartered in Greenville. However, it bodes well for us if they are already familiar with the city and the business climate. I bet they will stay, especially if they already released the name and have generated conceptual drawings of what it will look like along I-85.

I would also like the signature tower downtown, but we will certainly take the development anywhere it comes. It will be great for the economy and the impact Greenville makes along I-85.

It does seem like we are turning into Raleigh: an important business center that is much bigger than it feels (due to sprawl), with a skyline that does not do justice to what the city has to offer. Hopefully it will improve in the future.

Well, When I said that I was dissapointed, I meant period. I agree that downtown would've done WONDERS for the climate in the CBD, but the 85 area rocks too. I just wish it was Greenville's first 85 highrise. That's all. This is such an important business that its name atop of a beautiful tower along the interstate that serves as a marker for Greenville would've been much more suited I think. I mean how visible is this project going to be once you get to it that it would possibly leave an impression on a passer-by-er? Hopefully it will turn out awesome and I can enjoy eating these words later. Nothing would make me happier! :) And I can see how they might would look to building a downtown tower at a later date as they continue to grow...

WYFF reports that THE big announcement will come on Friday from the current headquarters in the Poinsett Plaza office tower. Hope and pray, folks! :D

Well, if the announcement is coming from the current headquarters at Ponnsett Plaza, then I suspect they'll be staying here. If I were in the shoes of Mack Whittle, I'm certain I would be making the announcement from the new city, so if my company had picked, say, Orlando, then I'd be going to Orlando for the big announcement. That's my logic anyway. :lol:

I find it interesting how a "headquarters" in Poinsett Plaza (which I was only vaguely familiar with) can all of a sudden warrant a huge complex on I-85 with 600 jobs and tons of investment. It has been a lesson for me in realizing that a lot of things happen in Greenville that you just don't know about.

Archived