CONSTRUCTION THREAD: TD Bank Regional Headquarters Campus

g-man430

WYFF seems to have changed their tune a bit this morning. When I was watching the news they were saying IF Greenville is picked. There was no mention of Greenville being a shoe-in, and no mention of the State Legislature.

Not that I think the outcome will change. Maybe they were told not to spread the word?

I noticed that. I think RT's "short leash" theory is correct, from what I'm hearing today.

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.southeastrebusiness.com/article.../snapshot1.html

Gville's suburban office market sure is weak! Surprised that suburban landlords aren't pitching a fit about new suburban development.

Actually, I would see this as a positive if I owned a suburban office building. The South will probably build only what they themselves will use. Plus spin off will be created. That spin-off can fill some of the vacancies.

What we hope is that this new corporate headquarters locating along I-85 will awaken others and attract them to Greenville, especially downtown. Considering the number of new highly paid employees, I'd expect more hotel business and wealthier visitors taking a look at the City and the Upstate. As I've been saying, the more people who live downtown, the more it will grow. It is beginning to really snowball, and there are several developments taking place in and around the CBD fueling the future. :thumbsup:

I wonder if they have planned to stay in Greenville the entire time, but just wanted some incentive to do so? Play their cards right, get some breaks here and there...?

I've been wondering the same thing. I've scoured the Florida News Media sites for any clue that something like this was in the works for one of their major cities, too. I've found nothing. Granted, a development and announcement of something this size may not be as important to these major Florida cities as it is to Greenville, so the news may have been lost or overlooked down there. Still, I'd be curious to see the Florida cities with which we've been in competition.

Something doesn't work re: the calculations of employees and square feet. 375,000 sf of space for 600 employees? That's 625 sf of space per employee. Large office buildings I have worked in in the past have had about 200 sf of space per employee. Thus either the proposed complex will be a lot smaller or there will be a lot more employees, if the bank is the only tenant.

One of the things I thought of shortly after reading the name of the corporation behind 'Pogo' was, imagine Greenville being home to The South Financial Center (arena). That would sound quite catchy and surely provide the arena a pretty nice income for the naming rights. I'd take it over the 'Bi-Lo Center' and 'Piggly Wiggly Center' any day! :D

I hate the fact that just about everything has to have a corporate name attached to it. At least let it be somewhat nondescript, like the Colonial Center in Columbia or the former Ericsson Stadium in Charlotte (which is now Bank of America Stadium...:sick:). Toyota Center, American Airlines Arena, Wachovia Center, Target Arena....I mean where will it all end? Pretty soon our schools will be plastered with corporate names, a la "Nissan Elementary School."

One of the things I thought of shortly after reading the name of the corporation behind 'Pogo' was, imagine Greenville being home to The South Financial Center (arena). That would sound quite catchy and surely provide the arena a pretty nice income for the naming rights. I'd take it over the 'Bi-Lo Center' and 'Piggly Wiggly Center' any day! :D

South Financial would be a good corporate name for a venue, I agree. I've grown fond of Bi-Lo Center, so wouldn't want that changed. Has anyone received naming rights on the new ballpark for the Drive?

South Financial would be a good corporate name for a venue, I agree. I've grown fond of Bi-Lo Center, so wouldn't want that changed. Has anyone received naming rights on the new ballpark for the Drive?

No, not yet, nor are the Greenville Drive in any hurry to sell the naming rights.

I hate the fact that just about everything has to have a corporate name attached to it. At least let it be somewhat nondescript, like the Colonial Center in Columbia or the former Ericsson Stadium in Charlotte (which is now Bank of America Stadium...:sick:). Toyota Center, American Airlines Arena, Wachovia Center, Target Arena....I mean where will it all end? Pretty soon our schools will be plastered with corporate names, a la "Nissan Elementary School."

Ericsson Stadium was bought by Ericsson mobile. Colonial Center is also named by Colonial Life.

Very few, if any, major entertainment facilities will go without a sponsorship these days.

^I know that those facilities have corporate sponsors, I was just saying that the names are rather non-descript.

I'm actually surprised the Charlotte Bobcats Arena has gone this long without corporate sponsorship, which is good IMO. I'd rather arenas take on the names of their cities (eg, Greensboro, Charleston) or be named after someone, like Winston-Salem's arena. Jacksonville's arena also lacks a corporation holding naming rights to it.

It is, but I think the names are less corporate-sounding than "Bi-Lo Center" or "Bank of America Stadium." I doubt that the majority of Columbians know that Colonial Life bought naming rights to the arena. I only found out myself a few months ago, and I consider myself "smarter than the average bear." :P

It's a prominent company, but the campus is tucked away off Bush River Road; there's really no reason to go back there unless you work there, as it is really the only thing on that road. These companies need to stop the madness with sprawling campuses and move downtown!

Colonial Life must not be that prominent in Columbia then, as the arena logo carries a striking resemblance to the company's logo. Funny people actually thinking it isn't named for them/sponsored by them. :lol:

I would hope if a company goes to the expense of buying naming rights, then they would use their logo and actually let people know who they are. If people don't make the connection, then the company has wasted a lot of money! :( Sounds like this Colonial company needs to work on their PR a little.

Archived