Architectural History in Grand Rapids

michaelskis

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but two key buildings downtown were designed by the local (now defunct) architectural firm Marvin DeWinter Associates - the Ford Museum and the Grand Plaza Hotel. Both have made a strong mark along the river. I especially love the simplicity and subtlety of the Grand Plaza.

Many of the buildings from the turn of the last century are quite nice due to the interest in enhancing Grand Rapids' image and expanding cultural and entertainment options for visitors to the semi-annual furniture markets. Heritage Hill is also noteworthy because the neighborhood is largely intact and the quality of the buildings has been well maintained. It is certainly an eclectic mix.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but two key buildings downtown were designed by the local (now defunct) architectural firm Marvin DeWinter Associates -

Not exactly defunt. Through mergers and buyouts it is now Craig Architects. Marv is still around town. He's a real estate investor now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

The State Historic Preservation Office is behind an effort to highlight Michigan's modern architecture and design heritage. It's raising $250,000 to help record oral histories of architects from the time; create driving tours; and research and catalog important projects. The office is promoting the state's architecture through a Web site — http://www.MichiganModern.org — with stories, photos and links to sites around the state.

The State Historic Preservation Office is behind an effort to highlight Michigan's modern architecture and design heritage. It's raising $250,000 to help record oral histories of architects from the time; create driving tours; and research and catalog important projects. The office is promoting the state's architecture through a Web site — http://www.MichiganModern.org — with stories, photos and links to sites around the state.

Very interesting website, but Eastern Michigan-biased so far. Not a single building from Western Michigan on their list. It would be a good idea for UPers from GR to provide info on the modern monuments in GR, including the Meyer May house, the Amberg house (done by an associate of Wright), the City County Buildings (Skidmore), Trinity Lutheran Church, and many other residences and buildings that I have missed.

• 1 year later...

Ralph Adams Cram designed the East Congregational Church on Giddings Ave.

I know that the website says that Cram designed the church, but the completion of the church was delayed by the Depression and I am not sure that the sanctuary was actually designed by Cram, who died in 1942. However, Klise Memorial Chapel, a real Gothic gem, probably was designed by Cram, as it was completed in 1931. I was in the 1950s sanctuary once, and it did not strike me as particularly distinguished.

• 8 months later...

Just imagine the discussion if Urban Planet had existed in 1927. To me, this building looks a lot like some of the buildings in downtown Detroit.

And, assuming it survived the urban renewal wrecking ball, it would definitely change today's skyline.

http://pinterest.com/pin/154177987212957379/

spectator_cover.jpg

Archived