Architectural History in Grand Rapids

michaelskis

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks really cool from space.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&oe...mp;t=k&om=1

And no "google green murky cloud" over that area.

I can't remember who told me this story - but they said they had to figure out a way to kill the wireless signals leaving the pyramid after they caught someone in the parking lot sniffing for signals. I was told this story some 5 or 6 years ago - kind of interesting - corporate espionage at its finest! :hi:

(sorry about this being a bit off-topic) We did a film showcasing this building when it was first built. The philosophy about how it would support workstyles apparently never came to full fruition in reality. Steelcase has since moved much of the original activity in the pyramid to other sites. When rumors began to float regarding the possible sale of the bldg, I recall several humorists suggesting the building would be the perfectly symbolic corporate HQ for Amway...

Back on topic - I do think this building (if it remains standing for a long time) will be viewed in the future as one of the more interesting (although probably not historically significant) structures in the area.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd love to know the history of the building. It sits on on Cherry next to Degage Ministries (Fraternal Order of the Moose building). It looks like the facade that buried the building is quite old too. Anyone know what the red brick building was?

449990979_6943110a3e_b.jpg

You might not realize it from the angle of this picture, but the blond brick building is "built over" the front of the red brick building.

Joe

I'd love to know the history of the building. It sits on on Cherry next to Degage Ministries (Fraternal Order of the Moose building). It looks like the facade that buried the building is quite old too. Anyone know what the red brick building was?

449990979_6943110a3e_b.jpg

You might not realize it from the angle of this picture, but the blond brick building is "built over" the front of the red brick building.

Joe

The red brick building probably was the carriage house for the mansion that stood on the corner. Used to be houses all up and down those blocks, till downtown grew and commercial users gobbled them up.

I believe the two buildings are occupied, mixed use. Anybody know? Lunch & learn??

• 1 month later...

AIA Grand Valley has published a nice brochure guide to West Michigan Architecture. This would be a great thing for people to show to guests or visitors to the city, as well as local residents to learn more about architecture in this area.

Here is a scan of the cover.

2004688540076271169S600x600Q85.jpg

This is a scan of when you open the guide up to view the different listings. There are 22 total for GR. On the back are listings in Muskegon and Holland.

2598210200076271169S600x600Q85.jpg

Are these in order of importance? There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason, but I sure wouldn't put Rosa Parks Circle and Vandenburg Center on the top of my list of places to tour for great architecture. ;)

Honestly I don't know. I found one of these in our office. Maybe someone that took part in the selection could enlighten us. I would assume they just started near the downtown core and then radiated out.

I think this is the guide that Ted and Nitro worked on.

Ted was the grand pooba on this one. Maybe he can put up a post on the criteria that was used for selection. I can't tell you much about it because I wasn't involved in it. I do know that it was quite extensive and quite painstaking. I also know it was limited to buildings in the downtown cores of each area (GR, Holland, and Muskegon).

We've all fielded questions about, why was building X included? Or, more often, why wasn't building Y included. I guess it all goes to show that we have a lot more good architecture around the area then we can fit on a brochure.

If Nitro worked on it, that would explain the inclusion of Vandenberg Center. (j/k) :rofl:

Always the witty one you are John! :D

My opinion had no bearing on anything in this guide. Go back and read the Grand Rapids Magazine article that came out in January it explains more about it.

Where might one find a copy of this?

Distribution will be coming soon.

I've always hated this house. I used to walk my dog by this house during the demolition/renovation of this house, and I think it looks like a modern appendage on your typical EGR home.

Interesting nonetheless. :)

Somewhere in this thread we were talking about interesting houses....

http://public.grar.com/public/pubrecn.mac/start?MLS=G598563

http://www.vcomp.ca/

http://www.1819argentina.com/

Archived